Thread: project antarctica

project antarctica

hi guys,
    Since I was not satisfied with the performance of my cooler master v10,I decided to increase the dissipation by changing the Peltier cell, replacing the one with a 70w with another of 136w...so we can start

after removing the shell of the V10, I slowly removed the peltier's cell of 70W, then I unplugged the two pin connector from the old TEC and soldered the corresponding wires together with the new one:

after that I've isolate the welds to prevent leakage current:

and replaced new TEC on the heatsink:

Some days later,I decided to paint fan grill on the shell,white for me:

to cool the hot part of the new TEC no longer enough just the heatsink or bundled fan, so I decided to buy a scythe ultra kaze 3000 rpm...

and finally arrived in all its majesty, you guys, I've never seen or touched a fan so big and so heavy in my life, well-38mm thick, only the delta reached a thicker (but only the double fans)...the weight guys,THE weight, well-300g (other than McDonald), the mounting between of two heatsink was quite difficult, especially because the fan is stuck between the thin slats of v10:

Oh almost forgot, as I expected the plastic shell isn't designed for fans of 38mm thickness, thus the edges of plastic going to collide with the structure, then I will have to change the structure to let the "petite":

and finally, here's the finished job, as usual, however, there was a drawback, I struggled to match at the best plastic shell, later, of course, that I modified it to be able to adapt Ultra Kaze 3000:

that's all folks!!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's very good, a very neat job. I have no doubt you have got better temps but not through the TEC.

I believe if you look at the box etc you will see it is 70w input power that has nothing to do with the cooling power of the TEC. That input power also includes the fan and the other electrics and the TEC itself is actually undervolted. The actual cooling power isn't even any where near 70w.
    The other thing is all the TEC is cool the heatpipes it's a crazy getup it really is because the TEC actually contributes very little to the cooling of the CPU...why do you think only 4 pipes go to the TEC and the other six to 2 heatsinks and a big fan ????? because most of the cooling is done by the heatsink fan arrangment.
    You have gone and put in a 136w TEC and at best it is rarely going to use more than 1/2 power probably less if you didn't clean the unit really well and get all that gunk off that was in the picture and apply new TIM before you reseated the TEC.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 05-05-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    orr you beet me to it zip

Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    That's very good, a very neat job. I have no doubt you have got better temps but not through the TEC.

I believe if you look at the box etc you will see it is 70w input power that has nothing to do with the cooling power of the TEC. That input power also includes the fan and the other electrics and the TEC itself is actually undervolted. The actual cooling power isn't even any where near 70w.
    The other thing is all the TEC is cool the heatpipes it's a crazy getup it really is because the TEC actually contributes very little to the cooling of the CPU...why do you think only 4 pipes go to the TEC and the other six to 2 heatsinks and a big fan ????? because most of the cooling is done by the heatsink fan arrangment.
    You have gone and put in a 136w TEC and at best it is rarely going to use more than 1/2 power probably less if you didn't clean the unit really well and get all that gunk off that was in the picture and apply new TIM before you reseated the TEC.

very impressive comment man,I appreciate it, but let me respond to you:

- the heatsink that I've modded, need to me to cool another peltier cell of higher wattage(maybe 300-350w) to be applied on the CPU,and I want connect it on a second PSU...
    So we can say that,v10 is the first part of the antarctica

-Another thing to say,I removed previous thermal compound,replacing with artic cooling mx-2

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by salucard View Post
    very impressive comment man,I appreciate it, but let me respond to you:

- the heatsink that I've modded, need to me to cool another peltier cell of higher wattage(maybe 300-350w) to be applied on the CPU,and I want connect it on a second PSU...
    So we can say that,v10 is the first part of the antarctica

-Another thing to say,I removed previous thermal compound,replacing with artic cooling mx-2
    I see what you say...but you must bear in mind that because of the way the V10 works you probably increased the cooling more by replacing your fan than you did by replacing your TEC.

I don't like these units much so I am not upto how much cooling they are actually capable off in the original state so I cannot really comment any more suffice to say this :-

Be mindful that whatever wattage you apply to the coldplate of the other TEC (i.e. the CPU power - I don't know what CPU you have.) you will have double that wattage coming off the hotside as heat and that is the heat that you modded V10 will have to deal with - when your CPU is under stress this could amount to quite a bit. It will probably not matter too much so long as you don't stress the CPU too much.
    Last edited by zipdogso; 05-06-2010 at 08:20 AM.

I know 'bout wattage addiction of CPU on wattage of TEC, this is the reason why I've modded v10 to increase potency of wattage dissipation from 230w to 360-375w

I have intel core 2 quad q9650 ockd' @4,2ghz and I would obtain better temperatures and higher performances; @4,2ghz TDP of my CPU is at 160w with a voltage of 1,35

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok I'll butt out.....

But I doubt very much you have increased your V10 cooling power by that degree...

Quote Originally Posted by zipdogso View Post
    Ok I'll butt out.....

But I doubt very much you have increased your V10 cooling power by that degree...
    hey don't be worried,your words could be necessary to my project,for temperatures I don't know if I had any improvements,I have not tested enough v10 on my system

so continue to give me other advices for all the duration of the project

well,finally after 7 days of waiting, I got the package with the new 350w power supply from be quiet!
    to complete the project now remain: sleeving cables, neoprene for mother board,female molex, golden pins and of course coldplate (which will probably be silver).
    Also, since the color of power supply does not convince me (unfortunately it is a value series and naturally the coluor is a horrific grey, but still very reliable), I thought to paint PSU's shell with black painting and replace the fan with red LED,certainly I absolutely want sleeving the cables...

well today I did one third of all the work I have to do, I must say that I am quite satisfied with all the work, especially after all the difficulties,so here are description of the work:all of the shell was painted by a strong, banal, boring gray paint, I had to remove it with sandpaper,so everything is ok, then I gave it a coat of primer, then a coat of black, another coat of primer and Finally, the last black, the result ... well judge for yourself: