Thread: [Review] Cooler Master Storm Sentinel Advance Mouse

I am Xtreme

Arrow [Review] Cooler Master Storm Sentinel Advance Mouse

Hey!

Just thought it might be worth the repost.
    I'd written a short review of CM Sentinel Advance mouse I upgraded to from Logitech MX518, and pinpointed some issues and specifics I couldn't find in other reviews I'd read before the purchase.
    If you're looking for a new mouse and considering this one then my info might be worth your time.
    Not going to quote the whole thing here, TR has better formatting tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechReaction

Conclusion

Cooler Master Sentinel Advance creates a mixed bag of feelings. On the one hand, it looks really awesome, its form is very comfortable (so is the button placement), it has a great sensor and a very feature rich software. On the other hand, it requires a fitting mouse pad (and can drive you insane if you have one it doesn’t like), it does not support horizontal scrolling, and the software is still somewhat buggy (it may also be responsible for the mouse pad issue). CM is working on the software version 1.4 that should be out soon, but there is no change log or ETA yet.
    Just follow the link, please.
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-30-2010 at 04:36 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Member
    i have the mouse and am beginning to hate it... it was fine for Global Aganda and TF2 but I don't think it cuts it for BFBC2. I'm always behind in my shots and I think the Habu fit my hand better. But its got good software!

Ohh also I did use your review when choosing to buy this. thanks! great stuff!
    Last edited by Locke; 03-31-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    i have the mouse and am beginning to hate it... it was fine for Global Aganda and TF2 but I don't think it cuts it for BFBC2. I'm always behind in my shots and I think the Habu fit my hand better. But its got good software!
    I think they need to get their act together regarding the drivers, yeah.
    Their issues are pretty obvious, though... CM's never dealt with software before; cases, PSUs and heatsinks don't need drivers, so I suppose it will get there (software v1.4 seems slightly delayed, I am hoping for a major release).

I've actually had no issues with any games, but I heard some problems with CoD6 (see edit: only one user on CM forums, I must add, though, others don't seem to have this issue). Weird, really. I haven't heard about a firmware being able to fix a behaviour of a mouse on a certain mat before either!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Ohh also I did use your review when choosing to buy this. thanks! great stuff!
    Thank you!

Edit: regarding CoD6 issue I mentioned: that user fixed their problem by installing new Intel Chipset drivers and updating the BIOS.
    Last edited by zalbard; 03-31-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    Hey! ..I upgraded to from Logitech MX518, and pinpointed some issues and specifics I couldn't find in other reviews I'd read before the purchase. If you're looking for a new mouse and considering this one..
    .. you just save yourself the trouble and buy a new MX518 or a G5.

btw, "Storm Sentinel Advance Mouse"? this thing looks hideous, will never see me.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by D4rkn3ss View Post
    .. you just save yourself the trouble and buy a new MX518 or a G5.
    MX518 is quite dated feature wise, though. It's very noticeable if you comare it with one of the latest high-end solutions.CM Sentinel Advance could almost be a dream mouse with horizontal scrolling support and ironed out drivers, though.
    While the absolutely ideal, imo, would be something like Logitech MX Revolution, but corded, with better sensor, weight system, quick DPI switching, and similar software to Storm one.
    Donate to XS forums

Xtreme Member
    unfortunately logitech mice do not fit my hands. the sentinel is cool but the thumb buttons are too high for me. I do like the side by side buttons under the mouse wheel. more game should do this. I bind them to things as i don't need them to actually change the dpi. I think this is an over-advertised and underused function.
    i5 4690k @ stock on Apogee GTX
    MB ????
    RAM ???
    HD6970 on mcw60
    PA120.3
    Custom Built Case

My Blog:
    http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Locke

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    MX518 is quite dated feature wise, though. It's very noticeable if you comare it with one of the latest high-end solutions.CM Sentinel Advance could almost be a dream mouse with horizontal scrolling support and ironed out drivers, though.
    While the absolutely ideal, imo, would be something like Logitech MX Revolution, but corded, with better sensor, weight system, quick DPI switching, and similar software to Storm one.
    hmm you're right. and i'm using a G5 for.. the last three years? guess i'm outdated.