Thread: Advice on current AT&T smartphones

Xtreme Member

Advice on current AT&T smartphones

To keep it to the point. I have to stay with AT&T. I was trying to hold out for their new android phones but my phone just crapped out and my wife's phone is circling the drain. My wife is nagging me to get new phones, women.., so its now or never. She just wants a querty keyboard to text and check her face book occationally so i was thinking about getting her an Impression. I was looking at the Expo and Tilt 2 as those 2 seem to be the best they got going on right now. The Expo seems to beat out the tilt 2 on everything but screen size and speakers. I dont care about the projector feature though. The tilt 2 having a bigger screen is pretty nice but from what ive found is that it only does 65k colors which sucks and is suprising. I know there are a lot of rom mods for the tilt2 as well which i like. I dont know what mods are out for the Expo as i havent done much research on it yet. What should i go with?

Xtreme Member
    Some of the HTC phones can run Android via a boot loader or an app, hence not voiding the warranty. If you want Android on AT&T right now, give it a shot.

EDIT: It's not a smartphone, but I just got the impression Saturday. I'm coming from an LG flip-phone and have nothing to compare it to, but I absolutely love it. The keyboard has great spacing, and the call quality is good. Might be a good phone for your wife. The refurbs are half price too.
    Last edited by theclash; 03-02-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added more info

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    lol.. umm iphones? i had the same problem i had 2x contract with att and waited for one to be up and then canceled other one.. so now 2xmonths bill plus extras brings grand todal to 490$USD so.. yea but bill with verison is 70$ for motodroid everything service with att same package cost me 120$ a month..

Xtreme Member
    yeah i really want a droid as i have played with one and loved it but its just not looking like a reality

Crunching For The Points! NKrader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by \/icious View Post
    yeah i really want a droid as i have played with one and loved it but its just not looking like a reality
    yea it is really cool.. call and see how much it would be to cancel some get proraited now so could be very little?

the expo is the current king of phones in the US so i would get that, if u dont want data u could get an HD2 shipped in and those are the best but it would be about $600 to get one

droid is bad compaired to teh nexus one (u could get that one)
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-02-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the expo is the current king of phones in the US so i would get that, if u dont want data u could get an HD2 shipped in and those are the best but it would be about $600 to get one

droid is bad compaired to teh nexus one (u could get that one)
    as far as i know the nexus one isnt made for AT&T yet and the only real difference between the droid and nexus one, that i can find, is the N1 has a faster processor but no qwerty keyboard. I havent seen any real lag issues with the droid though so im not sure its really a big deal that the cpu is clocked lower.

as far as i know the nexus one isnt made for AT&T yet and the only real difference between the droid and nexus one, that i can find, is the N1 has a faster processor but no qwerty keyboard. I havent seen any real lag issues with the droid though so im not sure its really a big deal that the cpu is clocked lower.
    the nexus has the arm7 and the droid is on the arm6, not only is the droid slow it will not be getting flash or the future kernel updates of androidOS.

and not made for att isnt a big deal, it will still have edvge and wifi so u will get verizon 3g speed. its just to bad that they are using tri band and not quadband gsm anymore
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    the nexus has the arm7 and the droid is on the arm6, not only is the droid slow it will not be getting flash or the future kernel updates of androidOS.

and not made for att isnt a big deal, it will still have edvge and wifi so u will get verizon 3g speed. its just to bad that they are using tri band and not quadband gsm anymore
    It should be getting flash
    http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...ROID-US-EN.alt

Also im pretty sure droid is using ARMv7 though im not tech savy enough to know anything about intruction sets. If the droid is slow i haven't seen fast.

The nexus one/htc passion is nice though. I also like the hd2 for sheer screen size. Sure its using WM 6.5 Pro but i have no doubt some one in the xda community will fix that if they havent already. I dont like the idea of it only using 65k colors though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You can get a GSM Droid. It's called the Milestone. It costs more than the Nexus One because to get it to work on AT&T you need either the South American one which is hard to find, or the Canadian one (by Telus). I bought one. I also have a N1. The N1 is going back soon (I posted why it sucks in the other thread)

I wanted Android and I went for the Milestone.

BoyGeniusReport also reports that AT&T will be getting the HTC Desire. IMO, the Desire improves on the crappy speakerphone the Nexus One has, and looks like it'll have a better earpiece as well.

Intel Core i7 930 @ 4ghz | Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | 6GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Radeon 4850 | Crucial m4 128GB SSD
    Intel Core i5-2400 | Asus P8H67-M EVO (Waiting to change to Z68) | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 | 8x2TB Samsung F4-HD204 | OpenIndiana | ZFS raidz2

ATT is getting the dell aero soon, im not sure on the hardware but it should be good
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...otion/aero.jsp

It should be getting flash
    http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US...ROID-US-EN.alt

Also im pretty sure droid is using ARMv7 though im not tech savy enough to know anything about intruction sets. If the droid is slow i haven't seen fast.

The nexus one/htc passion is nice though. I also like the hd2 for sheer screen size. Sure its using WM 6.5 Pro but i have no doubt some one in the xda community will fix that if they havent already. I dont like the idea of it only using 65k colors though
    im 99% sure that only the snapdragon and tegra are the current chips that are getting flash 10.1, flash lite though will be/is on everything its just a matter of installing it and finding things on flash 7
    Last edited by zanzabar; 03-25-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Im going to brazil soon so maybe ill find a milestone there. The desire looks really nice though. As far as flash on the droid in the link i provided if you look under connectivity its says flash 10.1. If it were anywhere but Motorola's site i would be skeptical

Im going to brazil soon so maybe ill find a milestone there. The desire looks really nice though. As far as flash on the droid in the link i provided if you look under connectivity its says flash 10.1. If it were anywhere but Motorola's site i would be skeptical
    the problem with that is that adobe keeps changing what is getting flash, originally everything but the iphone was, old qualcoms winmo6.1+, all android but then they changed it to no winmo then no android except for a few chips