Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft planning new Windows 7 piracy check

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by speederlander View Post
    Though we seem to agree that linux should be a valid solution for most people who think Windows is an overpriced piece of junk?
    Fixed that for you.
    Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.9GHz + Noctua NH-D15 - Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming3 - 16GB HyperX Savage DDR4-2666 - MSI GTX970 + BenQ XL2411T - Corsair HX620 + Silverstone TJ09B-W

Xtreme X.I.P.
    known activation exploits that may affect their PC experience.
    hahah oh my god... pleeeease

my legit install already barks about checking for validity when not online

Quote Originally Posted by RHKCommander959 View Post
    my legit install already barks about checking for validity when not online
    What? Once activated it shouldn't care anymore. Not like it is constantly validating itself
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    Yes... did you read the first post? If you were an uninformed user who didn't know what any of that meant you would think that your PC was insecure and run to install that update, which is what MS wants. Lying to and trying to intimidate customers is not alright in my book

I have had to reinstall Windows for too many people whose computer wouldn't boot/work after installing a Windows update to ever use them.

Wow this is some pretty convoluted and nonsensical reasoning. Let me just break it down for you:
    1. Pirates won't install this
    2. If they do and it changes they're background, they're not going to say "Oh well, it was fun while it lasted let me go buy it for $200" They're just going to reinstall Windows and not use this update again
    3. If instead of wasting time with this useless patch Microsoft had just spent time developing a more secure OS there would be even less malware, viruses, etc. ALREADY

Again, I am not at all trying to get into a discussion about the price of Windows or people pirate it, my issue is with Microsoft misleading its users about the function and purpose of this update.

Again...

Microsoft customers don't know about this, will probably never know about this, or even care... it will be just another auto update! When you own a legit copy, you just never worry about such things and Windows takes care of itself.

The ONLY people who care, are the ones that should care (ie: thieves). Understand?

Secondly, take advice from me, just don't work on other people computer who don't have the common courtesy to use a legit copy of Windows. That way reinstalling, or updating won't be such a hassle.

I built 9 systems for family/friends/co workers just before Xmas. Not one install problem.. not one transfer of OS problem. XP/Vista/7.. a simple phone call is all it takes. (if you have a legit copy)

MS is there to HELP you... but if you've lived your whole life in fear(ie: theive)... then I would be as paranoid as you too.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xoulz View Post
    Again...

Microsoft customers don't know about this, will probably never know about this, or even care... it will be just another auto update! When you own a legit copy, you just never worry about such things and Windows takes care of itself.

The ONLY people who care, are the ones that should care (ie: thieves). Understand?

Secondly, take advice from me, just don't work on other people computer who don't have the common courtesy to use a legit copy of Windows. That way reinstalling, or updating won't be such a hassle.

I built 9 systems for family/friends/co workers just before Xmas. Not one install problem.. not one transfer of OS problem. XP/Vista/7.. a simple phone call is all it takes. (if you have a legit copy)

MS is there to HELP you... but if you've lived your whole life in fear(ie: theive)... then I would be as paranoid as you too.
    It may only take a phone call to fix it, but you fail to take into account the amount of lost revenue that such time would cost. I've meet professionals that have lost thousands of dollars because the 45 mins that it took to correct a mistake made by microsoft.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    It may only take a phone call to fix it, but you fail to take into account the amount of lost revenue that such time would cost. I've meet professionals that have lost thousands of dollars because the 45 mins that it took to correct a mistake made by microsoft.
    Why would a "professional" use a cracked version of Windows..? (45 minute phone call to Microsoft for validation keys? lulz)

Xtreme Mentor
    so microsoft is happy with what people thinks about w7. why they didnt make a better copy protection until now is they want to erase MICROSOFTS vista from people minds. so now they believe mission is accomplished

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Administrator
    Hackers don't care about any of this, they will just work around it and do what they like to do, hack.

This is more of a protection for people who go into a local shop or buy online, purchase a machine and get a real version of windows installed.

I posted this in another thread but can't remember where it is now.

A few years ago two of my uncles purchased machines from a local guy here in town with XP Pro installed. All was fine until one day I get a call asking me why there machines keep popping up this non legit windows warning box and asking them to valadate Windows. Turns out this guy was selling machines with hacked copies of XP on them.

We took the machines back to him and he just hacked in another code which lasted a few weeks. They finally had to repurchase XP from a download link MS provided.

There was also a link on this warning box to report where you purchsed the machine from.

Keep in mind this guy had been in business for 5 years or so so I imagine he had a fair number of people that this problem popped up with. He closed his store down not to much later.

All of us here know enough to spot these things, why didn't my new machine come with a ligit copy of windows install disk, or that sticker that they "should" put on the back of the machine that shows a legit copy of windows installed.

But a huge number of people do not know these things and buy these machines from local shops etc and get burnt.

I am all for protection for the consumer from snakes out there who does this stuff.

Xtreme Addict
    I got W7 retail from MS. Installed it, didn't activate - 3 days later it tells me I may be a victim of software counterfeiting
    Yes.... MS sold me a free copy of hacked Windows 7! HOW DARE THEY!
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Addict
    And if Microsoft snuck a keylogger into an update most people would never know but that doesn't make it alright... I want to have control over what software goes onto my computer so I would never use auto update, simple as that.

No, I don't understand. Everyone should care and no one should install this.

Please stop talking down me, not that it is any of your business but my computer science department gives free Windows licenses and all of my family members have Dell's with legit Windows licenses, so no one in family is a "thief" as you so graciously put it And as I said before, I have had many Windows updates break an install and cause it to not boot or not function properly. This is a hassle, not because I am a "thief" but because I have to go around looking for updated drivers before reinstalling, and it's also a hassle simply because it should never happen.

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How did MS not think of this before launch? lol

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by HelixPC View Post
    How did MS not think of this before launch? lol
    They do similar things regularly, maybe every 6 months or so, or perhaps once a year.
    Last edited by zalbard; 02-15-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katanai View Post
    lol.

That's only if you don't know how to use google. When I click on the explorer button it opens up mycomputer and on the left I have set my favourites, like Games, Downloads, Music etc. Those libraries are nowhere in sight. If you tweak it a bit the Explorer in W7 is really awesome. Also the new wordpad is really good. The only thing that may turn you off is the button ribbon, but that can also be minimized leaving you with a really good minimal word editor. I don't know I really seem to like this version of Windows, I think it's the first time ever that I liked an OS from the start.

The only thing that really pisses me of though is the control panel, they did manage to something up. I never seem to find anything in it in under a second and when I do manage to somewhat learn the positions, I install something that automatically puts another icon there and it's like they are all shuffled again at random and it's back to square one for me.

Couldn't find anything back when I looked, but it was quite a while ago. I'll have to give it another shot some day. No libraries would be a wonderful feeling
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

YouTube Addict
    Why would a "professional" use a cracked version of Windows..? (45 minute phone call to Microsoft for validation keys? lulz)
    I never said what version of windows. I suggested legal copies only and yes the wait after a validation bug will exceed an hour.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    I never said what version of windows. I suggested legal copies only and yes the wait after a validation bug will exceed an hour.
    I had validation issues twice under XP. Both times I called, I dont think I spent more than 10 minutes on each call before having the issue resolved.
    Corsair 700D
    Intel i7 920 @ 4.20|Asus P6T6 Revolution|G.Skill 6gb DDR3 1600|Zotac GTX480|Intel x-25-M 80GB x 2 / Raid0
    H2O
    |Perfecting the Obsidian series case. Build log to follow soon...|

Xtreme Member
    sounds like the KB940510 optional update they released for Vista that didn't disable the computer and simply alerted the user that his system is affected. the new “cracks” were out before people noticed the update!
    Q9550 E0 @3.8 - zalman CNPS9700 NT - GA-EP45-UD3R rev 1.1 - OCZ Reaper 2x2GB DDR2 1066
    GTX 285 SSC - Thermaltake Toughpower 850W - Samsung 2220WM 22" LCD - win7 x64

Xtreme Member
    I dont think they cared as much when it came to Vista because it was such a flop. But Win7 works well and they do care about that one. But Vista I think they were happy people were even using it.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm running w7 RC1, and just got a email about:

"It’s time to upgrade from the Windows 7 Release Candidate". And it says: "Starting on March 1, 2010 your PC will begin shutting down every two hours"

I've got to get a w7 soon too.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (BIOS 1305)
    2600K @4.5GHz 1.27v , 1 hour Prime
    Silver Arrow , push/pull
    2x2GB Crucial 1066MHz CL7 ECC @1600MHz CL9 1.51v
    GTX560 GB OC @910/2400 0.987v
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 400MB RAMDisk
    CM Storm Scout + Corsair HX 1000W
    +
    EVGA SR-2 , A50
    2 x Xeon X5650 @3.86GHz(203x19) 1.20v
    Megahalem + Silver Arrow , push/pull
    3x2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7 + 3x4GB G.SKILL Trident 1600 CL7 = 18GB @1624 7-8-7-20 1.65v
    XFX GTX 295 @650/1200/1402
    Crucial C300 v006 64GB OS-disk + F3 1TB + 2GB RAMDisk
    SilverStone Fortress FT01 + Corsair AX 1200W

Xtreme Addict
    Then they should write Microsoft a bill. I'm sure Microsoft will find a way of "compensation". But yes, that surely is a problem and can be very expensive for companies.
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HiJon89 View Post
    And if Microsoft snuck a keylogger into an update most people would never know but that doesn't make it alright... I want to have control over what software goes onto my computer so I would never use auto update, simple as that.

No, I don't understand. Everyone should care and no one should install this.

Please stop talking down me, not that it is any of your business but my computer science department gives free Windows licenses and all of my family members have Dell's with legit Windows licenses, so no one in family is a "thief" as you so graciously put it And as I said before, I have had many Windows updates break an install and cause it to not boot or not function properly. This is a hassle, not because I am a "thief" but because I have to go around looking for updated drivers before reinstalling, and it's also a hassle simply because it should never happen.

Lulz...

So what updates over the years have you NOT manually installed? lol.. as if Microsoft is going to sneak something unwanted into their updates. Why would they do that? (A: they wouldn't)

Or is it simply that you are programmed to be paranoid, because for years you used a hacked OS and go to sleep wondering if tomorrow your OS is going to work? (ie: Paranoid?). Even when you Say you use a legit copy.. then why are you so particularly upset with this update, it doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form.... unless you're running a pozer copy!

Secondly, I have 3 computers all running in top shape (for multi-boxing) and NEVER once have I had a update break any of my computers, ever! I have had it re-install certain drivers I'd rather have, but have windows update be a hassle..? What r u talking about?

Perhaps you don't know how to install updates & should just let windows do them automatically?

Xtreme Mentor
    Secondly, I have 3 computers all running in top shape (for multi-boxing) and NEVER once have I had a update break any of my computers, ever! I have had it re-install certain drivers I'd rather have, but have windows update be a hassle..? What r u talking about?
    I would have to agree with that. I've never had windows update doing anything untoward to my computers. I have them all auto-updating with no issues. This includes XP, Vista and Win 7 computers. Never had any issues with updates. With so many users you are bound to get a few who have problems and they will be held up as examples of MS's evil intentions, but I'll bet 99.9999% never even think twice about auto-updates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    BTW the update dont work that well.
    Gigagyte Z68X-UD3P
    i7 2600k@4.6/1.35v
    GSkill Rippers 2133
    MSI 7870@1275/1450
    Antec Kuhler 920

Xtreme Addict
    as if Microsoft is going to sneak something unwanted into their updates. Why would they do that? (A: they wouldn't)
    (B: They just did) The description for this update is completely misleading, ie, they hid a piracy check under the guise of a security patch.

Or is it simply that you are programmed to be paranoid, because for years you used a hacked OS and go to sleep wondering if tomorrow your OS is going to work? (ie: Paranoid?). Even when you Say you use a legit copy.. then why are you so particularly upset with this update, it doesn't effect you in any way, shape or form.... unless you're running a pozer copy!
    As you say, this update does not affect me in any way, so why on earth would I want additional software that does nothing for me running in the background all the time?

File Server:
    Super Micro X8DTi
    2x E5620 2.4Ghz Westmere
    12GB DDR3 ECC Registered
    50GB OCZ Vertex 2
    RocketRaid 3520
    6x 1.5TB RAID5
    Zotac GT 220
    Zippy 600W

3DMark05: 12308
    3DMark03: 25820

Xtreme Addict
    I'm not paranoid (I couldn't care if MS installs logging software on my computer, as long as it doesn't slow my calculations ), but Hijon's right legally. There is no security benefit to disabling OS WGA hacks.
    Unless you know of a specific licensing hack that also opens some backdoor or something like that?? WELL, DO YA? PUNK? J/k, there prolly is - MS should state it.
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast