Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest upcoming super phones...

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    There are a ton of awesome phones that are compatible with at least AT&T and T-Mobile, go browse some of the phones listed on GSMArena you can find most of them for sale on such sites as MobileCity. You can still buy them unlocked and use them with either carrier. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA frequencies not compatible with other parts of the world so you can't use them.
    It's still hard to shop for these. I'd like to find a phone that can replace the need for a netbook, while being a capable phone and mp3 player. I guess I would consider going with AT&T but I would prefer to stick with Verizon. Especially since I can now get a great 2 year deal for Fios + Mobile
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] itznfb View Post
    It's still hard to shop for these. I'd like to find a phone that can replace the need for a netbook, while being a capable phone and mp3 player. I guess I would consider going with AT&T but I would prefer to stick with Verizon. Especially since I can now get a great 2 year deal for Fios + Mobile
    Just wait a few months, the phones available through American carriers are improving fast. I know buying an unlocked phone of that type is really expensive, although when you buy that same phone through a carrier is much cheaper they often force you to buy an expensive data plan so it can cost you more in the long run. It really depends on wether you need 3g or can rely alot on local WiFi. My town has alot of WiFi hotspots all over so I don't really need to pay extra for a data plan with 3G which is why I want to buy an unlocked phone that's WiFi capable and just subscribe to a cheap voice plan. If you need/want 3G you might as well buy one through the carriers. Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage but also have the more expensive plans, with T-mobile coming in a tad cheaper and Sprint often being the cheapest.
    DistroWatch - find your flavor of Linux
    Petra's Tech Shop - for all your watercooling needs

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jstutman View Post
    Android, close to not better than the Apple software? Come on please. We see how well Firefox and other open source software did compared to closed source software. I have seen nothing but a vast improvement using Android. Apple fanboys are just scared
    Two main ways that they judge software is ease of use and overall functionality. Overall functionality just takes time with tweaking the software and adding apps. Ease of use is improves through tweaking the interface. Functionality-wise Android is catching up to and may be passing Apple being that it's more open. Ease of use is a matter of opinion but most would say that's Apples strength. I haven't used both so I'm not in a position to judge. I'm rooting for Android though.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm happy with my new Android HTC, which I promptly got secondhand offcontract for about 350USD. Running prepaid and shaving the bills!

Flashed a modified Hero ROM with the very new and experimental brain***k scheduler, now it's probably one of the fastest smartphones out there with the same Qualcomm 528Mhz.

I wouldn't switch now just for the basis that my next buy would be the Zune HD (subscription win) and the 2 devices are so complementary that I wouldn't want convergence instead, lol.

As for the interface, I think HTC Touchflo/Sense and the iPhone OS have reached parity in terms of sleekness and ease of use. HTC Music needs a lot more polishing, real problem in their UIs, but otherwise it's really a superb job for a company which was still releasing crappy stuff 2 years ago.

HD2 has tons of potential but it needs to clear its way to a WinMo 7 upgrade, then it'll be seen as worth it.
    N900 is becoming more and more meh material for me- looks nice, but WM6.1 did too.
    Xperia III - Awesome specs like the HD2 but Android needs to work on video capture capabilities too!
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I just like the N900 because it runs Maemo which is Debian Linux based and I know how massive the Debian software package library is since I've used Debian based Linux OS's before and it's totally open source. The hardware is very nice too, as a plus it's got an infrared port so I can use it as a remote control.

However some may prefer Windows based software or Android, just depends on what you like.

Beta testing an Android phone now. After 13 yrs in wireless this is what wireless UI's should have been long long ago. So very customizable and user friendly, so very moldable with all the apps out there.

Android should surpass Apple in popularity real soon...Winmo doesnt come close and neither does Symbian or the others which I've used all but Maemo.
    Owner:Matrix Gaming PC's
    Houston TX

Sprint Technician Level III
    Green Cosmos S Worklog: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4004809

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Awesome, now if they would come out on a phone with decent hardware....Hero is ok I guess, but I would like to see better. Samsung Galaxy is the best one currently out that I know of, better ones are coming soon though.
    Last edited by AzraelDarkangel; 10-01-2009 at 12:57 PM.

The latest incarnation of the Hero does have the hardware.

It's lightning quick, check out my review of my beta testing of the Sprint Version under "Shhhh...Title Inside".

The hardware is that good.
    Owner:Matrix Gaming PC's
    Houston TX

Sprint Technician Level III
    Green Cosmos S Worklog: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post4004809

Xtreme Enthusiast
    1. It's still 320 x 480, I would like at least 480 x 800 which is coming to Android soon. However I ultimately want full HD 1920 x 1080 but that's way too expensive for hand-held devices right now.
    2. No flash for the camera.
    3. Needs at least 30fps VGA video.

Otherwise it looks very nice and the reviews sound great!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis13 View Post
    I like the HTC Leo,but i think that if Sony Ericsson sells Satio for a lower price (100-200$) than HTC does,it will have more sells.I would go for it!!
    bwahahahahah xperia sub 400... keep wishing bro.

im on a xperia right now. i love this phonne. its one model older tthen the one shown. but i like my model better because i need a thumb keyboard.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

anyone got any information of the new 'Droid' from verizon? just saw all the 'iDont' DroidDoes commercials and reminds me of the G commercials where it puts its name out there but leaves you in the dark about the rest.
    Intel C2Q Q9550 2.83ghz :: Intel DQ45CB :: 4 x 2gb OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC :: ASUS EAH5850 :: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w :: Western Digital Caviar Black 4 x 750gb in RAID 10
    Intel e3-1235 3.3ghz :: Intel s1200kp :: 4gb kingston hyperX 1600mhz :: WD 500gb Cavier Green
    Intel i7-3770k 4.4ghz :: msi z77ma-g45 :: 8 gb patriot Signature 1600mhz :: 160gb WD Cavier :: 5830 + 5870 CF :: Antec Earthwatts 650w

"...all men die, and no brave man lets death frighten him from his desire..."

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AzraelDarkangel View Post
    1. It's still 320 x 480, I would like at least 480 x 800 which is coming to Android soon. However I ultimately want full HD 1920 x 1080 but that's way too expensive for hand-held devices right now.
    2. No flash for the camera.
    3. Needs at least 30fps VGA video.

Otherwise it looks very nice and the reviews sound great!
    you wouldnt be able to tell that res atall on those tiny lil screens, hell its hard enough on a 22" with a res that size compared to say 1680x1050

anyone whats a good phoen with wifi :/ my contract runs out in jan and i can get unlimited texts 600 mins unlimited internet + email + unlimited landline calls for £35 :O plus a free phone !! Iphone 3gs will be coming to vodaphone in jan so thats cool although i know its not a good phone girls dig it
    Last edited by Jamesrt2004; 10-20-2009 at 02:54 AM.
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

touch hd2, the snapdragon is so fast

and what customization dose android have over winmo, u can load a port of touch wiz, or touch flow or make a custom today screen and with android the most popular is the ported touch flow
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    hopefully they will have something better than the touch pro 2 for sprint within the next couple months
    really i just want a fast phone that runs something very easy to modify (preferably linux, but i have gotten used to winmo)
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

I am Xtreme
    I played with the Pure Wonderful phone and its price is proof of that. Samsung Impression (no WI-Fi) is what I've have gotten if it weren't for just settling for an iPhone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    best phone out there is the nokia N900. all open standards, has wifi, voip, and qwerty: the perfect combination, just like my bb 9000

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I am really liking that xpPhone finally something that is a computer/phone. Now I can run any basic apps that work in win xp like IPMI view when there is an emergency! I was wondering though, I saw that it supports every wireless format like CDMA but if I was to buy this phone when it comes out what would I need to do in order to use it on Verizon?

what do we need 4.8" cell phone screen for ?

N900 is the perfect super phone

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    When is my wifi-only phone coming out? I really don't care about all these data services. Give me opera and skype that work perfectly on a wifi-phone and I'll buy.
    I second that, or at least one with Wimax built in too. I miss the PDA days. I used to rock a Dell axim v50. I laughed at the kids with the ipods because my pda had a bigger screen, better battery life, could watch movies, stream music, and much more, for about the same price!

No one wanted one though because it wasn't "cool", now the ipod touch came out which is basically the resurrection of the first touchscreen PDA's.

I would love to have a Blackberry Bold 9700 or the Nokia E72 without a friggin data plan, which I'm forced to purchase by At&t here in the States. Many would argue, "oh but it's a smartphone", but why do I have to pay for it, when it has wifi, and so many free hotspots exist everywhere in my city!

P.S. Many U.S. people don't give Symbian OS much thought because it hasn't really broken ground here yet, but it's actually the number 1 mobile OS in the world:

source(one of many sources, I just happen to pick this one)
    -Cpu:Opteron 170 LCBQE 0722RPBW(2.87ghz @ 1.300v)
    (retired)Opteron 146 (939) CAB2E 0540
    -Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90
    -Fan:120mm Yate Loon 1650 RPM @ 12V, 70.5 CFM, 33dB
    -Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 UT Ultra-D
    -Ram: Mushkin High Performance blue, 2gigs(2X1gig kit) PC3200 991434
    -Hard drive: Seagate 400GB Barracuda SATA HD 7200.10(AS noisey model)
    -Video card: evga 6800GS @520/1170
    -Case: P180
    -PSU:Enermax 535Watt EG565P-VE FMA (24P)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12