Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian McNaughton goes out against The Way it's Meant to be Played

Xtreme Enthusiast
    All the customers that have an ATI, and paid 50 bucks for the game, deserve it in the best shape and form possible.
    AA (as AF) are common features nowadays, so no excuse for this "omission".

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by DilTech View Post
    Eh...
    about the whole AA thing for ATi cards, is anyone anywhere close to sure it never causes an issue? I mean, I could always attempt it myself and strip the securom and tell it my card is an NVidia and play through the entire game again.
    Not sure if it causes issues in the game. A quick google search shows me that people disabled the hardware vendor id check & changed ATi card ID to nv device ID to trick the game. They confirm that NV exclusive MSAA works on Ati cards, and also that "physx" effects are protected by Securom, but still possible to run on the CPU (and in multiple threads). However, doing that is very buggy, probably due to (like you said) poor developer support on Ati's part.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Piotrsama View Post
    All the customers that have an ATI, and paid 50 bucks for the game, deserve it in the best shape and form possible.
    AA (as AF) are common features nowadays, so no excuse for this "omission".
    QFT!

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    How exactly did Nvidia screw their consumers?
    "screwing consumers" not "their consumers", consumers as a whole, included ati users

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What seems to be lost here (of the first page I read and skimmed over the other two) is that when someone says "ATI tried TWIMTBP program and failed" or "ATI did x in the past", is that ATI no longer exists.

AMD is all that exists now, with just ATI engineers working on AMD graphics cards with ATI brand logo. AMD is making this comment, not the non-existent company once called ATI.

ATI may have tried many things in it's past, but all that is in the past now that AMD owns them. AMD has always been a company about open standards and trying to put the consumer first, yes they try to make a profit like every other company but the tit for tat that ATI and Nvidia have had is something AMD doesn't even get into.

What AMD is complaining about here is that Nvidia is basically paying developers to make AMD hardware run worse than Nvidia's artificially. Remember Assassins Creed DX10.1 BS?

What is going on is that you, the paying consumer, are being screwed by Nvidia's business tactics in order for marketing department to trick you out of your money.

It is one thing to get close to developers in order to get your hardware to run better with their software, it is entirely another pay to make your competitor's hardware perform worse.

What AMD is trying to say is, they are a company that embraces open standards, yeah they want to make video cards faster Nvidia in order to pull good profit, but they aren't going to do it by playing dirty doing ANTI-CONSUMER BS like Nvidia does all the time.

I know many of us, including myself, go with whichever video card offers the best price/performance/watt, it is simple and to the point. However Nvidia is trying to trick/manipulate the system in order to gain an artificial upper hand. The things that Nvidia has done is so numerous to list. Maybe you don't care what a company does, but personally I don't reward anti-consumerism.

I won't by L4D2, I don't buy DRMed games, and I'm not going to buy Nvidia cards if this is the kinds of business practices Nvidia likes to pull.
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    For chrissakes, the source is AMD. It's embarrassing how quick some people are to immediately take it as gospel truth. Nothing else has been offered from either Nvidia or the companies who have put out the games. No wonder so many companies out there consider 'smear tactics' a valid business strategy - threads like this show how many people are willing to immediately believe and loudly parrot the worst they hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    What seems to be lost here (of the first page I read and skimmed over the other two)
    That might be your problem right there. There are some concise, informed rebuttals to some of your points to be found, if you can spare a few minutes.
    i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | GTX Titan | Corsair DDR3-2133

Stuk, A. Creed had visual artifacts when running in DX10.1 mode, from lights bleeding through walls to an entire rendering pass missing that included dust particles and other issues... ATi didn't want to invest in helping get it up to snuff, and what interest did NVidia have in doing the work, considering they had nothing to gain in spending the money to make the code work.

It's a case of AMD/ATi refused to put up or shut up, so they pushed the blame on NVidia instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    That might be your problem right there. There are some concise, informed rebuttals to some of your points to be found, if you can spare a few minutes.
    this thread is growing fast, i go out to lunch, and im 2 pages behind.

someone here should pay a moderator to condense all the arguments to simple factual points, but also only ask them to do a good job on the ones they made and make their opponents sound wrong. (remind you of something, lol)

Xtreme Addict
    Right because ATi cards never have performance issues and bugs in non-TWIMTBP titles.
    Whatever comes out and is fastest I buy. Don't penalize me because I didn't go with a certain product.
    Last edited by Vinas; 09-28-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinas View Post
    what about binoculars?

My response made as much sense as yours here. Obviously cards have bugs but TWIMTBP is stupid IMHO.

Whatever comes out and is fastest I buy. Don't penalize me because I didn't go with a certain product.
    im happy you used IMHO, too many think their opinions are the bible. in my opinion i think nvidia does a good job of offering alot of features for their hardware.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Glow9,

"I can't imagine Nvidia devoting that much time and effort."

They do.
    Seems like Fugger is on the payroll???
    You see the Nvidea add in the top corner!

Rule No. 1 - Follow the money

How sad is it companies like Intel & Nvidea are allowed to cheat their way to the top with the help of greedy and corruptible 3rd parties (Probably Fugger included)

And guess what, it will only get worse because to many people will happily go along with getting screwed over.

I can see it now! Published correspondence between Fugger & Nvidea made available courtesy of the EU.

Bottom line Nvidea is directly paying to harm consumers for their own greedy gain with the help of some big name 3rd parties.

Anyone remember the fairly recent GPU article Tom's did, which used grossly incorrect pricing to justify why Nvidea GPU's offered better price Vs performance??? You should have read the comments people left after reading that article Lol!

Wonder how long this post will last.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MpG View Post
    For chrissakes, the source is AMD. It's embarrassing how quick some people are to immediately take it as gospel truth. Nothing else has been offered from either Nvidia or the companies who have put out the games. No wonder so many companies out there consider 'smear tactics' a valid business strategy - threads like this show how many people are willing to immediately believe and loudly parrot the worst they hear.

Yeh the first complaint came from AMD about Intel as well.
    We all know how that turned out.

AMD needs to borrow apples legal team.

I wish I was on the payroll.

That is a Gigabyte competition in the top right.

Your post will remain, priceless as it is.
    Last edited by Charles Wirth; 09-28-2009 at 10:35 AM.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Ah, 216 is banned Rhys aka Rhys216...

Let me show you to the door. /slam
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes we all agree that ATI has poor to non existant developer support or relations to let things like this happen.

Best to let the developer answer as to why, my best guess is failed validation. Perfectly compatible? unknown at this time.
    Their GITG program was such a huge success... not. ATi/AMD still have the program up & running but it's been turned towards CrossFire instead of making games better & getting more features into games. It's still a failed program as far as game development goes.

Eh...

First, about that whole A. Creed thing. Did you guys forget that with that path on certain shaders didn't work properly(dust particles and the like) and lights bled THRU walls? The shader path was removed because it didn't work properly, and ATi didn't offer the support to ubisoft to help them make it work.

Also, I can tell you first hand NVidia supports developers with things besides money. Certain people here will tell you about the toy they had in our hands back when the 7800GTX 512mb came out. They give developers hardware that never sees the light of day as far as the consumers know, just to make sure they have a way to test their code that isn't a software renderer. I can tell you right now that ATi has never put a single piece of hardware in our hands... and it's not like we haven't asked for anything to test on.

To those who say "well, NVidia can't possibly give that much help"...They do. They have a test lab with just about every possible configuration when it comes to nvidia hardware to test your application on to make sure it's going to work across a wide spectrum of hardware. You also have to remember that NVidia employ a lot more people than ati. They have people who's sole job IS testing said applications, finding the bugs, verifying if it's the game code or the driver, and giving a list of possible fixes to the developer. If anything, NVidia does more for the game industry than ATi has ever dreamed of doing, and pays for it with the money the consumer spends on their video card... How is that bad for the consumer? If ATi would do the same, perhaps PC gaming would actually move back up in terms of how many game studios are still out there.

The fact that people here still believe TWIMTBP is merely a money hat program makes me laugh. Developers have freely explained exactly how it works time and time again. Also, about the whole AA thing for ATi cards, is anyone anywhere close to sure it never causes an issue? I mean, I could always attempt it myself and strip the securom and tell it my card is an NVidia and play through the entire game again.
    Completely agree, nVidia work with the developers, ATi pays them lip-service then complain about nVidia's TWIMTBP program. ATi/AMD should start to work with developers more, in the "fair" way they like to preach & stop wasting money on press releases moaning about things.

Some ATi fans are seriously becoming like the followers of one Mr Jobs, it's only going to end badly.

Xtreme Mentor
    haha this thread is jokes...

(sorry for OT)
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Addict
    Nvidia working closely with game developers validating in game features is a bad thing? Showing us they had to find out the hard way, proves how little they worked with the developers.

ATI needs to step up and develop better programs to assist game developers (hand holding).
    I have to agree. All I hear is excuses excuses excuses. ATI can make good cards so why not trying to establish better relationships with the game developers? ATI should stop playing the same old "we're the underdogs, nobody likes us so please support us" game. You are the second largest manufacturer of graphics cards with thousands of customers how hard for you to connect with the game developers and get a demo from them so you can work out the problems?
    Why people would refuse to work with you?

Having said that, I hope ATI changes their strategies and stay as a formidable competitive to NVdia. Remember the socket 939 dominance days? Conroe came out as a result of that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    NO ONE who really knows one card from another really cares about TWIMTBP, well besides the usual delusional conspiracy theorist green haters in out midst. Most of the time in my life spent looking at the stupid nvidia logo was likely on my 9700pro and X850XT anyways. If AMD cannot get ATI bagdes on games with the same ease Nvidia does its their lack of effort.
    Last edited by Dainas; 09-28-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Stuk, A. Creed had visual artifacts when running in DX10.1 mode, from lights bleeding through walls to an entire rendering pass missing that included dust particles and other issues... ATi didn't want to invest in helping get it up to snuff, and what interest did NVidia have in doing the work, considering they had nothing to gain in spending the money to make the code work.

It's a case of AMD/ATi refused to put up or shut up, so they pushed the blame on NVidia instead.
    Lol at your post DilTech!
    You basically say that ATI would have to "invest" (pay Ubi Soft so...) to make them correctly implement DX10.1 mode in A.Creed

They do the job for Oblivion, they do the job for R6:Vegas. Why they have to do the job for A.Creed?

To focus on Batman:AA, i have no problem seeing Nvidia giving money for PhysX support (only them have it) but i have a problem seeing Nvidia giving money to no let ATI cards using something in the game they can use (AA).

Quote Originally Posted by SamHughe View Post
    Having said that, I hope ATI changes their strategies and stay as a formidable competitive to NVdia. Remember the socket 939 dominance days? Conroe came out as a result of that.
    What the link between ATI and socket 939 dominance days?
    Ok i see, Intel pay for manufacturer support and AMD didn't...
    Last edited by AbelJemka; 09-28-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugger View Post
    Ah, 216 is banned Rhys aka Rhys216...

Let me show you to the door. /slam

Really? I thought it was somebodys alias.

Anyway nothing starts flame wars faster than an ATI vs Nvidia thread.
    I'm getting rather tired of this nonsense...
    Last edited by Katanai; 09-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJohn View Post
    "screwing consumers" not "their consumers", consumers as a whole, included ati users
    Why in God's name should Nvidia care about ATi users? I'm still waiting to hear how they're screwing consumers by giving them AA.

I am Xtreme
    i would love for ATI to get more involved with developers. they should hire me to play upcoming games, on an ATI rig. im even willing to work for a guy who thinks hes in the matrix, and getting sucker punched by a kung fu monkey, and loose my virginity to a woman whos had STDs since the great depression. no wait, somehow i dont think it will be worth it.

How exactly did Nvidia screw their consumers?
    For example, Batman with Physics workaround on a CPU (note the word workaround):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOr4cFWY-s

But guess what... Its a "The way its meant to be payed" game so most features are gone once you disable proprietary PhysX.

Talk about artificially limiting gaming experience!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i would love for ATI to get more involved with developers. they should hire me to play upcoming games, on an ATI rig. im even willing to work for a guy who thinks hes in the matrix, and getting sucker punched by a kung fu monkey, and loose my virginity to a woman whos had STDs since the great depression. no wait, somehow i dont think it will be worth it.

u would also love to pay more for ati cards ? cause they don't have f... money to pay for support and i think they do what they have to do feeding console lover companies to port there fast food games properly is prolly lowest level which pc gaming came to ....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadov View Post
    For example, Batman with Physics workaround on a CPU (note the word workaround):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOr4cFWY-s

But guess what... Its a "The way its meant to be payed" game so most features are gone once you disable proprietary PhysX.

Talk about artificially limiting gaming experience!
    PhysX can be done with any CPU, as long as it performs well.

It just happens to run much faster using GPUs, due do their highly parallel architecture.

If it is a workaround, how do you do it?
    Are we there yet?

Xtreme Addict
    I can say partly it is AMDs fault that their support is bad when it comes to games but disabling AA?

Anyways... AMD have begun helping developers now, they have given them DX11 hardware since months back and also other kind of support such as lending out programming staff etc. so I am hoping AMD will start their own "The way its meent to be played" program, atleast it's looking like that right now
    SweClockers.com

CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE
    Clock: 4200MHz 1.4375v
    Memory: Dominator GT 2x2GB 1600MHz 6-6-6-20 1.65v
    Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    GPU: HD 5770

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast