Thread: Stock Intel HS into LN2 Pot? Could it Work?

Stock Intel HS into LN2 Pot? Could it Work?

I mostly post at Evga's forums but when I think LN2 I think XS

Kind of a crazy idea but do you think it would work? I would cut all of the fins off and use the copper\almuminm base to start. Than I would solder\braze a tall hollow copper pipe with a thick wall to the base of the stock HS.

I dont think it would work for Dice because the base is really thick (for a pot), but it might be just small enough for LN2?

Did I find a good use for the stock HSF's Intel gives you or am i completely missing something here. Im a total LN2 pot noob.

I just got my i7 920 and can run 4.2ghz on air (Xigmatek Dark Knight) with HT off. I even got a SuperPi run off at 4.55ghz, and really want to try some Extreme cooling, but dont have the cash so I thought this up.

Here is a picture of what im getting at

Xtremely unstable
    The problem I ran into with using pipe was finding stuff with thick wall. I wanted 3" for capacity and the best I found was type L pipe. I guess I need to search a little harder and find type K.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Addict
    I've seen numerous stock HSF to DICE pot conversions, but LN2 is a bit harder to insulate for and you need a pot with more mass than the HSF can provide.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz+ 8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 6 Asus P8P67 Pro CrossFire 6970's @ 950/1450
    Xeon X5677 @ 4.5Ghz 6GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @1600Mhz CAS 7 Gigabyte EX58-UD5 4870x2
    i7-880 @ 4.2Ghz+ (still playing) 4GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3-2000 @2300Mhz CAS 9 Asus Maximus III Formula MSI Hawk 5770

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tool_462 View Post
    I've seen numerous stock HSF to DICE pot conversions, but LN2 is a bit harder to insulate for and you need a pot with more mass than the HSF can provide.
    Any links? I'm ghetto rigging a DICE pot outta my old E6300 hsf, for an upcoming session, and I'm curious to see what other people have done.

Administrator
    I am trying to remember but wasn't there some one who punched out the copper on those heat sinks and put a copper tube on it for a NB tube ?

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    That was me. It works well for a northbridge dry ice/ln2 pot, but it gets overwhelmed by a CPU very quickly due to there being practically 0 surface area.

Xtreme Member
    The core is well-pressed, a thorn customizing and printing device then it remains almost as good as new.

Only the Blue Cooler ... the Cu. is bigger.

I think it's better for NB
    ..........still building Cooler´s...........

Team AF
    I have a nb pot by otterauge with such a base inside. It works good for dry ice (which was the reason i got it), but with ln2, it has too less mass even for the northbridge