Thread: Sony a350 - Lenses question

barfastic

Sony a350 - Lenses question

Heya guys,

i just purchased my new a350 (K version with the 18-70 lens in the kit). I must say i am liking this camera alot already, having taken just some quick photos in my room. I opted for this camera due to price (the body + lens + a 8Gb CF card for just under 500 euros), and several advantages it had against other cameras in its price range (live view, extra Megapixels, and my sister has a Eos450D she is willing to lend to me at any point/time ).

Which brings me to my question, i want to get into Macro photography, so i went around reading reviews, forums, etc and saw that everyone recomends the tamron 90mm Di macro, as such i have some questions.

whats the advantage of having a set 90mm macro lens versus the tamron 70-300 di macro lens? (reason im asking is the price is almost 3x cheaper if you purchase the zoomable one)

secondly i want to invest in a better zoom lens (the 18-70 provided, compared to the actual body, feels very cheaply made). Should i opt for a Sony lense, or should i go with a tamron/sigma lens? And what range should i be looking for? Please take into consideration i wont be buying another zoom lense for a while. I was thinking of a 18-200 sigma f3.5-6.3. any other recommendations?

and lastly, i heard that if you use lens mount adapters (i.e to fit a nikon lense onto a sony body) the quality gets lost. can anyone recommend where i can purchase one of these adapters in the uk? If the quality loss isnt too much for my liking ill buy a new zoom lens, else i will use my old sigma zoom lens.

regards, thanks in advance, and ill finally be posting some nice shots on the picture of the day

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Most macro lenses are 1:1.

Many 35mm macro lenses are 1:1, meaning the image on the film is the same size as the object being photographed.
    Most lenses that also have "macro" can't even get that close.
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 50mm f/1.2L | Canon 135mm f/2L | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 | Crumpler 7MDH | Hitech filters + Lee Foundation Kit | B+W filters)
    Hasselblad 201F (Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 CF | 2x A12 Back | Domke F-4AF)
    Nikon F3HP (Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2)

barfastic
    Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    Most macro lenses are 1:1.

Most lenses that also have "macro" can't even get that close.
    are you saying the Tamron 90mm is 1:1 ? or is this for all set distance lenses?

sry for the noobish question

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
    are you saying the Tamron 90mm is 1:1 ? or is this for all set distance lenses?

sry for the noobish question
    Yes, I'm saying the Tamron 90mm is 1:1 (even says it in it's name).

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF-90mm...2685422&sr=8-4

Lenses I'm talking about that have macro yet aren't at least 1:1 are lenses like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-70-200m...2685473&sr=1-1

Excellent macro magnification of 1:3.1
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 50mm f/1.2L | Canon 135mm f/2L | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 | Crumpler 7MDH | Hitech filters + Lee Foundation Kit | B+W filters)
    Hasselblad 201F (Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 CF | 2x A12 Back | Domke F-4AF)
    Nikon F3HP (Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2)

barfastic
    i see. thanks marin, and again sorry for the stupid question!

any recommendations on a zoom lens?

Xtreme Cruncher
    For the zooms, I've heard that the Minolta Beercan is really good, google it .

I just got into Sony DSLRs and I really do want one.
    Team XS: xs4s.org

Xtreme Member
    I have a same problem - I have Sony A300 and want to buy Tamron 55-200 Macro.. is it good enough or should I buy dedicated macro lens?
    rig ::: i5 2500K :: GTX780 :: 250GB + 128GB 840 PRO :: Gigabyte Z77 mATX :: 4GB Ballistix :: Hazro 27" :::
    input devices ::: Topre Realforce 45g TKL :: QFR w/browns :: Zowie EC2 Evo :::
    modding ::: ?PHINIX CUBE? ::: "PHINIX NANO TOWER" ::: "PHINIX AURORA" ::: "PHINIX CHIMERA" :::
    star citizen :::
    ARBITER: Origin Jumpworks 325A LTI

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.