Thread: Optical Drive problems...

Xtreme Addict

Optical Drive problems...

I recently rebooted my computer today, first time in a couple weeks, (after installing iTunes)... After reboot, I wanted to play some StarCraft, so I click on the icon. The "CD not in drive" message came up, and I remembering that I had just rebooted, remounted the imaged with Daemon... however, the game refused to start. I resorted to taking the original CD and putting it into the drive, but still it would not start. I checked my computer, none of my optical drives were present-virtual or real. After a couple reboots and uninstalling all mounting software and iTunes, my optical drive still refuses to show. A quick check in my device manager shows a yellow ! next to the icon with "Error 39" Any idea on what just happened? I recall that there was a windows update that had just been installed, which might have kicked in after the reboot.

EDIT: I tried a fix online that included deleting the "Upper Filters" in some registry values, but all that did was kill my keyboard and mouse also.
    Now the computer is completely unusable.

Keyboard and mouse don't even work in Safe Mode.
    Last edited by Loser777; 03-14-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    No ideas on how to fix this? Ugh, reinstalling windows would be such a pain in the ass
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for nothing guys :P
    I just used Recovery Console to completely wipe my registry and replaced it with a standard XP one... I gotta reinstall graphics and audio
    though.
    Everything works now though
    1.7%