Page 19 of 173 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021222969119 ... LastLast

Thread: UnOfficial Asus Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    Any Idea's? or do i have a busted chip?
    Start -> run -> msconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> remove the "x" @ "number of processors"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri$ch View Post
    Start -> run -> msconfig -> boot -> advanced options -> remove the "x" @ "number of processors"
    Thanks for your quick response. That fixed it!!!!!!!

I remember checking that box about a month ago when i was reading a guide on how to tweak vista.

your tha man.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Just a quick question. How does the board fit in cosmos s? I heard it needs 8 expansion slots.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ReVolut1on View Post
    The overspeed protection should be removable. François Piedonel from intel has already stated a month ago that every motherboard manufacturer will include a bios setting called "CPU VR current override". Enabling this setting will make your CPU ignore all TDP limits. I know this setting exist on P6T so why would it not be on rampage?
    This setting does not exist on Asus boards. If you are refering to the CPU TM Function that is not it as disabling that also disables all thermal protection on your CPU.

That is wrong!

only the 20+2 turbo is for single threaded apps! 20+1 is on all 4 cores but normal
    limited to 130W (Overspeed Protection) i think, but gigabyte and other manufactures
    disable the limit that the 21 multiplier also run above this limit.
    Sorry, I oversimplified. You are right that you will get +1 on multiple cores and +2 with one core only. However, according to Intel's specifications for Turbo Boost Technology (http://download.intel.com/design/pro...=tech_tb+paper) is dependent on load, current, and power consumption and can transition states based on any and/or a combination of those factors. Therefore, Gigabyte running Turbo permanently on is outside Intel specifications, technically. Now I am not saying that this would not be desirable on R2E as well, but it is just not the case. There is no feature on R2E that will keep turbo operating outside the specifications. Furthermore, there are certain apps that I know for a fact will cause Turbo to turn off on R2E at 100% load and there are others that will not even though the load is still full 100% on all 8 threads.

For me on the i7 940 turbo turns off on the R2E when I am running Prime and the temperatures hit 85C. Lower than that and turbo stays on. However Arena chess test will keep turbo on even if temps get to 85C and despite the fact that all 8 threads are 100% loaded.
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-27-2008 at 01:38 PM.

You've got to be kidding me! Why is it not on asus boards?? Somebody told me it's on p6t

Quote Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
    I need 1.544v to be 100% stable@ 4.2 ghz with HT off....I think I need to buy a different cpu and pawn this off on a family member!!>
    Yeah me too. I need the same vcore to be 100% stable @4.2 but with HT on. I think I might have the worst 920 but looks like you have a worse one than me.

The max from Intel spec is 1.55 but its running like one really hot mf at this volt. Even if its degrading its not like im gonna keep the cpu more than 2 years anyway. The upgradeditis is strong with me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just a quick question. How does the board fit in cosmos s? I heard it needs 8 expansion slots.
    Fits in there Great.

The only thing is if you wanted to do TRI SLI you'd have to cut out a little metal square but if its a water cooled or single slot card you dont have to do any modding at all.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Member
    You've got to be kidding me! Why is it not on asus boards?? Somebody told me it's on p6t
    see @ asus forum:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Asus has not, as far as I know, included a switch to bypass this 920/940 processor feature although my contacts at Asus suggest that 'Turbo Mode' and the 'TurboV' may be a way around it. Other board manufacturers include a BIOS bypass.... Asus may do so in the future... 'CPU VR Current Override'
    unbelievable...

i hope they fix it. NOW...
    Sorry for my bad english...

System1

System2

Xtreme Addict
    Because Asus stupidly decided not to have this feature on their boards. I already put in a request to some of their people to add this feature to their boards, but I doubt we will ever see it. They just tell us to disable CPU TM Function (very dumb to do if you are really pushing the CPU as this turns off all of the thermal protection).

Besides, disabling CPU TM Function does nothing to remove this limit. I already tried it numerous times.
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Hi guys ! I'm going to build a new rig in January but haven't decided on which RAM to use. Corsair DDR3 1866 seems a little overpriced so maybe I should go for this ? Has anyone tried it ?

@ ReVolut1on

Fits o.k in a cosmos s, only the lowest pci-e slot is very close to the psu, so a double slot vga cooler is a problem.

How in the world did those dumbasses forgot to are that kind of feature to "The World's Greatest Overclocking Board"?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris STI View Post
    Hi guys ! I'm going to build a new rig in January but haven't decided on which RAM to use. Corsair DDR3 1866 seems a little overpriced so maybe I should go for this ? Has anyone tried it ?

My Black Pi came on Wednesday and they can do 2080 with 9-9-9-20 1N timings.

The 2GB sticks are due out any day now.

Also in 6 weeks the DDR3-2000 CL7 models come out

Xtreme Member
    How in the world did those dumbasses forgot to are that kind of feature to "The World's Greatest Overclocking Board"?
    I have to agree with some of the other posters on this issue. It is clear that the GIG board is doing something WRONG that just so happens to work well with the 920. And the fact that some of you EXPECT a 58% OC on a $300USD CPU is a bit ridiculous and extremely grandiose.

Enough of the Asus bashing. Sit back, ENJOY the computer, and things will happen as they may. They are putting out BIOS updates. They are doing their job. If you have a problem with it, use another brands board. If you think you can do it better, start your own company and get producing. Code a fix yourself. DO SOMETHING.

Otherwise, pipe down. Its just repetitive at this point.

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

Homemade SS Phase Change | Kayl Custom Lineset

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Xtreme Member
    download this tool -> http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip

open it and start prime to show us that 21 multiplier doesn´t go down to 20.

try with 21x200 and 1.45v and show us a screen
    This what you mean..?

Tried different primes and same result...

06.., getting similar results in 06 run by run is nearly impossible.., big differenses on same settings.., this is best so far...

Last edited by fubarswe; 12-27-2008 at 08:09 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bmilos View Post
    I have to agree with some of the other posters on this issue. It is clear that the GIG board is doing something WRONG that just so happens to work well with the 920. And the fact that some of you EXPECT a 58% OC on a $300USD CPU is a bit ridiculous and extremely grandiose.

Enough of the Asus bashing. Sit back, ENJOY the computer, and things will happen as they may. They are putting out BIOS updates. They are doing their job. If you have a problem with it, use another brands board. If you think you can do it better, start your own company and get producing. Code a fix yourself. DO SOMETHING.

Hahaha, this is exactly the argument I was having with a guy over on Asus forums. I said that expecting to always get a 58% OC out of a $300 CPU is ludicrous, Asus TDP limit disabled or not. I still think they will be adding some nice improvements to the R2E with the newer BIOS releases.

Xtreme Member
    I really need a hand guys. I have tried these setting along with a few other ideas and the same thing happens to me. I save the settings and hit enter to restart and it just locks up. The screen just goes black and nothing happens. I have tried turning HT and turbo off as well as relaxing my timings alot. Here is my current setup:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    Core i7-920
    12GB G.Skill DDR3 (1600 MHz 8-8-8-21)
    Corsair 1,000 watt PSU
    a very good water cooling setup
    4870 X2

Anyone also having this issue. What setting should I use to find the maximum base clock for my Board?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    Alright here are the settings to reach 4.0 Ghz with a Core i7 920. This will allow you to get 4.0 Ghz on all cores and 4.2 Ghz in turbo mode. This will really help your Super PI Scores. Note: Try my CPU voltage first. If it still blue screens that is a sign that you need more voltage. If it does'nt blue screen then you can try to back it off a little at a time. Do this in .05 increments. For Example 1.43 then 1.38 then 1.33. The same goes when increasing your Vcore Voltage. Print this post out and follow the settings EXACTLY!

MB - Asus Rampage 2 Extreme
    CPU - Intel Core i7 920
    RAM - Corsair 3X2GB 1600mhz Cas 8
    CPU Cooler - Water
    Fan - Several 120mm
    VGA - BFG GTX 280
    PSU - Corsair TX-750
    HDD - Maxtor 500GB Sata-2 7200 16MB
    ----------------------------------------------
    AI overclock - manual
    OC from CPU level up - AUTO
    OC from Memory level up - auto
    CPU Ratio setting - auto

CPU configuration
    CPU Ratio Setting - auto
    C1E Support - disable
    Hardware prefetcher - Enable
    Adjacent Cache line prefetcher - enable
    Intel Virtualization tech - disabled
    CPU TM Function - disable
    Execute Disabled bit - disabled
    Intel HT Technology - disabled
    Active Processor Cores - all
    A20M - enable
    Intel Speedstep tech - enable
    Intel Turbo Mode tech - enable
    Intel C-STATE tech - disabled
    BCLK frequency - 200
    PCIE frequency - 100
    DRAM frequency - DDR3 1603MHz
    UCLK frequency - AUTO
    QPI frequency - AUTO

Dram timing control NOTE: YOUR RAM WILL BE DIFFERENT. GO WITH STOCK SETTINGS
    1st iformation - 8-8-8-24
    2nd information - Insert Timings Here in X-X-X-XX -X-X-Xformat
    3rd information - Insert Timings Here in X-X-X-XX-X-X-X format

EPU II phase control - full phase
    Load-line calibration - enable
    CPU differential amplitude - auto
    Extreme OV - disabled

Current voltage 1.54v - 1.812v - 1.35v (May be different/ JUST IGNORE THIS)
    Cpu voltage - 1.4350 START OFF WITH THIS!
    CPU PLL voltage - AUTO
    QPI-Dram voltage - AUTO

Current voltage 1.131v - 1.508v - 1.111v - 1.508v
    IOH voltage - auto
    IOH PCIE voltage - auto
    ICH voltage- auto
    ICH PCIE voltage - auto

Current voltage X.xxx v, X.xxx v, X.xxx v ,X.xxx v
    DRAM Bus voltage - auto
    DRAM REF voltage - auto

Debug mode - string
    Keyboard TeakIt comtrol - disabled

CPU spread spectrum - disabled
    PCIE spectrum - disabled
    CPU clock skew - auto
    IOH clock skew - auto

ON YOUR RAM VOLTAGE SET IT TO 1.66v

Like i said, If you Blue screen with these settings that means you need more CPU Voltage. Only increase it at .05v at a time. So i have you starting out at 1.43. If this does'nt work, then try 1.48. You should'nt have to go over 1.5 to hit 4Ghz. Actually you will probably be able to get a lower voltage than i have listed above. I have found out that i have a power hungary chip. Also you need some good cooling. This is'nt recommended at all on the stock cooler so DONT DO IT!

The most I recommend doing on the stock Cooler is 3.2 Ghz. And i'd just use the CPU level up Feature for that one.

The goal here is to get you to windows. Then you can tweak your memory and all that good stuff.

Hope that helps.. if you have any questions just PM me. And if you have a better overclock POST IT!!!!!

Xtreme Member
    .., first.., turn powersaving off in Windows.., or set it to performance.., then lower bclk to 180.., v-core 1.45.., then step it up with set fsb untill it bsod on you.., use Turbo7 to raise v-core when u found stable approach into Windows...
    Leave HT on.., whats purpose with out it..? Starting system with 200 bclk with 12gb ram is asking for trouble... :-)

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/ .., clockgenerator xxxxxx16jglf
    Last edited by fubarswe; 12-27-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmilos View Post

First, I do not own this board. Any ideas why?? Look, I have bought numerous asus boards and i have noticed that they don't have very high quality standards. Yes, i like this board alot and i would have bought it, but reading these posts don't really encourage me to do so. I agree with you totally, you cant expect good overclocking results just because others have managed to oc their chips so well. There is really no need for a childish arguement like this.

Xtreme Member
    .., also tried prime 95.., this is with SS.., realtemp starts at -8 .., evap says -35..,

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy1323 View Post
    I really need a hand guys. I have tried these setting along with a few other ideas and the same thing happens to me. I save the settings and hit enter to restart and it just locks up. The screen just goes black and nothing happens. I have tried turning HT and turbo off as well as relaxing my timings alot. Here is my current setup:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    Core i7-920
    Corsair 1,000 watt PSU
    4870 X2

Anyone also having this issue. What setting should I use to find the maximum base clock for my Board?
    I'd also try it with just 6gb ram and see if that is the cause...

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Xtreme Member
    First, I do not own this board. Any ideas why?? Look, I have bought numerous asus boards and i have noticed that they don't have very high quality standards. Yes, i like this board alot and i would have bought it, but reading these posts don't really encourage me to do so. I agree with you totally, you cant expect good overclocking results just because others have managed to oc their chips so well. There is really no need for a childish arguement like this.
    I agree that its a useless argument. This is a thread for the board, the good, bad, and annoying. Not to badmouth Asus. ALL the boards are young. Even EVGA's board. I disagree with Asus not having high quality standards. They make some of the best product out there and work hard at keeping current. So, no, I don't think Asus has a less than very high quality standard.

To bad mouth the board is to ruin this threads growth. The more people testing, the better we will all be.

I for one am happy with my R2E. Now, if only asus would finish the RMA on my 4870x2, things would be dandy... OH, and if my 965 somehow starts giving me a 58% OC on water, THEN all would be dandy.

World Champion - IRONMODS
    Well, I'm done with the MSI Eclipse SLI and have moved into this world...picked up my RIIE today...looking forward to some new (hopefully better) experiences here. Will be testing on water until my new pot arrives, then I'll put the 920 under some Dice
    Quote Originally Posted by Massman
    My definition of 'efficient' is 'it does not suck monkeyballs'. Yes, I set bars low.
    [CENTER]The post counter is not an intelligence meter!

MAX11L - "It's like a console...with the suck turned down and the awesome turned up" -tet5uo
    Heat Team IRONMODS

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahallen View Post
    Well, I'm done with the MSI Eclipse SLI and have moved into this world...picked up my RIIE today...looking forward to some new (hopefully better) experiences here. Will be testing on water until my new pot arrives, then I'll put the 920 under some Dice
    I, for one, hope your pots take a little while to arrive. That way, you'll be doing a lot of testing on water...

Quote Originally Posted by crazy1323 View Post

ASUS Rampage II Extreme
    Core i7-920
    Corsair 1,000 watt PSU
    4870 X2

You have to loosen the timings to 9-9-9-28 & give a big bump to vQPI (1.57-1.65).

It's been hard for me to get the 12Gb stable at 1600 & up, timings are crucial for this & QPI voltage also. You will need good cooling on that NB
    Vista 64bit
    Core i7 975 EE (watercooled)
    EVGA Classified 759 (watercooled)
    Corsair AX1200
    12GB Corsair GT 2000Mhz 7-9-7
    3way EVGA GTX480 HC FTW
    4x OCZ Vertex 120Gb RAID0 480Gb
    2x WD Vraptor 300 Raid 1 300GB
    X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    30' NEC LCD3090WQXi
    Koolance CPU360/Koolance MB/Hailea HC1000 chiller
    LianLi TYR PC-X2000