Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel to Retaliate to AMD Phenom II Overclocking Feat, Plans Demonstration at CES '09

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Banana View Post
    Good question, not sure where it came from.
    I guess DrWho just never admitted to saying things he shouldn't have said. This thread shouldn't be about him though, so I agree, let's move on.
    Amen. You got to own up to what you say. And not just vanish when someone calls you on it. But you are also right in that this thread shouldn't be all about a vendor's rep who's too quick to come to conclusions.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    they already have 8 threads they really don't need 7ghz.
    They don't, but overclockers do

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by taurus_sel View Post
    You're free to give him the benefit of the doubt. You're free to do anything you like, that's your prerogative. My point is that if it's speculation, then Dr. Who should have no problem owning up to that.

Engineer? Since when is a performance analyst an ASIC engineer that understands how an unreleased competitor's chip works?

I don't know that AMD did or didn't do anyting. But I do know that someone here is likely guessing at stuff, not owning up to it and stating it as fact.

Hostility? Yeah okay. More like looking for the truth. Why does that bother some people?
    Exactly my point.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quite funny how a thread from XS that i found interesting and post it in my website (in spanish) then gets to TPW and TPW is the source in XS.

You only needed to read XS i hope this wasnt harmfull for anyone and that there werent any misunderstangins because of the translations.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    I understand what the sensors do... But the way I read it, it was not done just to make a chip capable of ONE extreme run, it was an overall change that will allow all chips to operate in those ranges.

So whatever changes made during the shrink allowed them to tweak the sensors to operate in the new temp ranges without failure.

Hence the "you can be certain that your Phenom will not fail" part..
    AMD apparently is using a new interface dubbed TSI, in the AM3 parts at least, that replaces the thermal diode. This could be related to that.
    *edit* Looking forward to seeing records broken and good competition. I think it's direly needed. Also congrats to Fugger. Any OCers dream come true
    Last edited by BrowncoatGR; 11-28-2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Addict
    First off I'd like to congratulate FUGGER for this

For the rest... I think it's a bit sad really That's just my opinion though
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Guru
    Oh since when did "having the greatest overclocking chip" mean something for these CPU manufacturers. Glad overclocking gets more attention these days though and proof that they don't underestimate the influence reviewers/enthusiasts give about the products for the other consumers. Childish but very amusing especially since overclocking voids warranty. I wouldn't be very surprised if sometimes in future certain special models with slightly higher cost are given some kind of overclocking warranty too lol. I do think that would work for products like AMD's "Black" SKUs or if Intel also had some various unlocked mainstream variants with warranty for usage to a bit higher voltage than standard. They'd get more money from the price premium than the slightly increased rate of RMAs I'm pretty sure of.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 11-28-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    If this were to happen more power to them...BOTH of them. People learn things by driving these things to their limits. There are some here that act like this is something new...it's not. There's no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch. It called "overclocking". I can't believe I actually had to write that last sentence at Xtreme Systems. People here should already know that, but either they don't, or a few have forgotten it.

This place is about Xtreme Systems, and Xtreme OC'ing, and we'll continue to see things pushed to the max, and that is precisely why I am here. I am here to learn from those things. Eventhough I may never be able to get to those kinds of speeds, I learn from it.

Wanna look under my kilt?
    To quote Gorillakos sig:

"When Mercedes brought their C111 to Talledega years ago and blew away the closed course record did it count? Yes..
    That was a "factory" car and a "one of" that no one could buy and was never sold.
    Records are records and that is a fact so get over it."

Same idealology applies here.

In some ways I dont like it, but im accepting it more as the months and years go by.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by demonkevy666 View Post
    they already have 8 threads they really don't need 7ghz.
    And? The speed increase under heavy load is barely noticeable. HT is a possible plus under special circumstances which mostly occurs with server software. Quite useless for us mere mortals, like this whole demonstration.

Xtreme Member
    i'm sure Francois will love to be called Francoise :p

as for the battle..well...it's kind of kindergarden who has the biggest, and in the end is not very interesting.
    what's really interesting is using those tests to improve future product
    Core i7 2700k@4,8ghz HT off- 1.41v / Gainward GTX580 GooD 850/1700/2200 / 2X4Gb G.Skill Ares 1833C9 / Z77 Sabertooth / Crucial M4 64 Gb / WD 320Gb and 640GB / Corsair H80 / Corsair 620 HX

Xtreme Addict
    Competition is good. I really hope that the OC that AMD was able to do does represent to some extent what the P2 is capable of. And I also hope that performance becomes more competitive.

And my hat off to Fugger. Just imagine being such a good and renown overclocker that when Intel wants its chip to do the best it can, they ask you. Damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by alacheesu View Post
    If you were consistently able to put two pieces of lego together when you were a kid, you should have no trouble replacing the pump top.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes I can read english and spell as well. And from your owns words:

"I am just going to be doing the same as our green buddies, dissable the thermal control, and let s see"

Again how do you know the green team is disabling anything? Clairvoyance? Guessing? Do you have the inside scoop?

Like I said, keep Theo out of this. I never read what he writes.
    We did not even need to do so, we got to 5Ghz air cooled without problem.
    I based my comment on Theo's post, if Theo is not accurate, i am not accurate.

The retails parts will tell us, if nobody gets 6Ghz with a retail CPU, we will know who's was right ...

The competition childish? well, we are on Extremesystem here, winning the race is what matters to me, with openess and Olympic spirit, if you don't like that people work hard on winning, well, don't come here, because I think it is all about this: Behind Fast and Furious

Time will tell! Take it easy, and well, 5Ghz air cool is done.
    Last edited by Drwho?; 11-28-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwho? View Post

The retails parts will tell us, if nobody gets 6Ghz with a retail CPU, we will know who's was right ...

My money is riding with you. 5GHz on air is indeed done, and is in the history books.

I'm anxiously awaiting January timeframe.

Xtreme Member
    I heard AMD 6ghz is possible on air...... lol then what?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by foch3 -USA- View Post
    What? Let the arms... sorry, clock race begin.

Xtreme Addict
    is that 5ghz with all parts functioning (disabled sensors or anything else)? if so im impressed
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by G0ldBr1ck View Post
    is that 5ghz with all parts functioning (disabled sensors or anything else)? if so im impressed
    According to both Fugger and Francois, nothing is disabled. A decision was made to run all the chips stock.

Xtreme Addict

The competition childish? well, we are on Extremesystem here, winning the race is what matters to me, with openess and Olympic spirit, if you don't like that people work hard on winning, well, don't come here, because I think it is all about this: Behind Fast and Furious

Er, how long was this sustainable for? Prime stable is different from Crysis looping stable.
    Last edited by cegras; 11-28-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Yes I can read english and spell as well. And from your owns words:

"I am just going to be doing the same as our green buddies, dissable the thermal control, and let s see"

Again how do you know the green team is disabling anything? Clairvoyance? Guessing? Do you have the inside scoop?

Like I said, keep Theo out of this. I never read what he writes.
    i have to say i agree here, it says "tweaked" not "disabled"... the same as they say they have "tweaked" parts of the newer P2 part to make it better than the first...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by foch3 -USA- View Post
    well, after Carl Lewis won for the 100 metter, did people stop running faster?

I don't understand ... I am being bad because I like competition? you got to explain this to me. Wanting to win is childish?

You guys need to take it easy, sorry, I want to win, and I spend my life making sure that I do, I do it fairly, and openly.
    DrWho, The last of the time lords, setting up the Clock.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    well, after Carl Lewis won for the 100 metter, did people stop running faster?

I don't understand ... I am being bad because I like competition? you got to explain this to me. Wanting to win is childish?

You guys need to take it easy, sorry, I want to win, and I spend my life making sure that I do, I do it fairly, and openly.
    I think what you have to understand is that their are two very differnet groups here in this thread.
    The ones that want to see what can be done and then the ones that would blast you no matter if their was a halo around your head and God sitting beside you.
    That is just how they are. They look to create controversery where there is none.
    I've learned that those people you try to ignore as in reality their opinions mean very little.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Mentor
    I hope AMD knocks intel out cold... WE NEED THEM TO DO WELL NOW MORE THAN EVER. intel can survive 6 months or so while being behind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I think what you have to understand is that their are two very differnet groups here in this thread.
    The ones that want to see what can be done and then the ones that would blast you no matter if their was a halo around your head and God sitting beside you.
    That is just how they are. They look to create controversery where there is none.
    I've learned that those people you try to ignore as in reality their opinions mean very little
    If you had a bunch of people in an insane asylum who had convinced themselves that AMD was their wife, would their crazy ramblings be much different to what has been seen in this thread?

Xtreme Mentor
    The same could be said for the "henpecked" Intel husbands Chad Boga!
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast