Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Showcase] Cooler Master V8

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hurry up and get that V12 on the shelf, I WANT ONE MUHAAAA

First thing I'd do is get a couple of Deltas in there LOL.

Unless its in the house, parents wouldn't enjoy that noise during dinner,
    so I guess I'd make do with some S-Flex's
    Last edited by The0men; 10-22-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think u could put delta's in, it looks to me that the fans 25mm think.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With the fan running at around 2000RPM and the CPU Vcore at 1.47 the temps go between 46-50 degrees. At idle they go down to between 28 and 30 degrees.

I will post some screenies and pics tommorrow as I'm just finishing trying to find the best 24/7 OC settings for my Phenom. I will also play around adding fans to it as well and show the difference in temps.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy1992 View Post
    I don't think u could put delta's in, it looks to me that the fans 25mm think.
    Well then of coarse bending the heat pipes (without kinking!) is a necessity
    to get maximum pwn, and also maximum noise

Xtreme Addict
    Not sure, but it doesn't look to me like u could bead the heatpipes enough.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yer I think my might have a point in that... O well, just strap them to the out side

Even so, I would like a cooler now, so I may just get the V8.

The V10 is plain ugly, and looks way to humongus, the V12 looks more effective and
    far more attractive.

Xtreme Addict
    I agree, the V10 is

Banned
    the V10 kinda reminds me of the IFX-14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've been playing around with my V8 today and I must say I'm even more impressed with it than I was initially. Here are some temp results with just the stock fan and an OC'd Phenom first idle then at load (if you can see them I find it difficult to guage what others can see at the moment cos I'm using a 32" bravia at ty 1024x768 res.)

Unfortunately if you mount the cooler so as to intake from the front and exhast through the rear of the case then you will probbaly be unable to fit a full 120mm fan on the front as it begins to hang over the memory slots as seen here.

I don't think a full sized 120mm fan mounted on the front of the cooler would make much difference for even when upping the vcore up to 1.55 the front of the heatsink never really felt warm. The rear however does tend to get quite a bit warmer. To start off with I wasn't sure if this was me not spreading the thermal paste correctly or just not tightening it enough. But after some double checking I'm pretty sure this is just down to the fact that the heat sink is so large a single 120mm fan is only just enough to push the air through as if you hold your hand to the rear of the heatsink it feels like a gnat is blowing on your hand. Also by the time the air eventually trickles to the rear its already picked up quite a bit of heat.

So I decided to try the cooler out again but by adding two 80mm fans onto the heatsinks that protrude either side of the main heatsink. I wasn't sure if this would actually work properly and would actually just serve as a way making the airflow worse as the two fans on the outerheatsink would be pushing air wat a different rate to the centre fan.

This wasn't quite the case though as I managed to shave a few more degrees off of the temperature at load.

I didn't bother with a screenie for idle temps with the tri fan configuration because they were exactly the same as the single fan, but what I found most impressive about the tri fan config is that the temps barely varied. With the single fan the temperatures would waver between 46 degrees and sometimes peak up to 51 before dropping down again, even though the RPM only seemed to vary by around 20RPM and the load on the CPU was constant. With three fans the temps were a lot more consistant.

All in all I would say this is probably the best air cooler I have ever come across. I love the IFX-14 it gives great temperatures and allows you to put your own fans on it so you aren't stuck with a pre-mounted one. However the V8 gives great temps and an inaudible volume out of the box. Even when the fans RPM are at 2000 you can't hear it. If this fan isn't beefy enough for you though it is possible to switch it (though I haven't bothered as I think its great with the stock one because I prefer it to be quiet.) You are also then capable of mounting a further two other fans to drive down temperatures even further. Plus IMO the V8 looks so much meaner than the IFX-14

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Chris_Redfield what do you have your Phenom running at for clock speed?

Those seem like good temps with the 3 fan setup you may be able to try 1.55 volts before heat starts to cramp up the phenom.

I've read somewhere that phenom's can't function beyond 60 celcius for some reason.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The CPU was a 9850 running at 2.9GHz in the tests.

They can cope at around sixty for a while, but my brief experience with them has shown that if you operate at around 65 for too long in prime at the very least all cores will fail, at the worse you'll get a system crash.

I have been told that the Phenoms begin to significantly reduce their lifespan if you run them above 1.55 volts for too long. Though I don't know how true that is and that certainly hasn't stopped me from trying

The thing is though no matter what I do with this damned CPU I can't get it to a stable speed at anything higher than 2.9GHz. No matter what the voltage. I have also spent time trying to find the right ACC combination and even corrupted my windows installation when I set all the values too high.

2.9 will do me for now though as this CPU was only intended as a stop gap while I wait for Deneb. As soon as AMD's new CPU's arrive this 9850 will get put into a media server.

I have been meaning to check this cooler out on my E6600 and E8400 but I need a new DDR3 kit and the only other motherboard I have is a crappy P5W DH Deluxe in my media centre which is the only fully operational system I currently have running so I don't want to start taking it to pieces.

Unfortunately the CPU's installation method is bolt thru so you need to install it with the motherboard out of the case. I assume this is something we will become accustomed to with coolermaster's future CPU coolers as it offers better cooling performance and some of their new cases like the HAF have cut outs in the motherboard tray that will allow for the installation of bolted CPU coolers without having to remove the motherboard.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    the V10 kinda reminds me of the IFX-14
    How?

I have the IFX-14 and it looks nothing like the V10?

My IFX

V10

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm that's odd sound's like you got a bad one.

With your temps and Vcore normally I'd think you'd have 3.2+

I'm eagerly awaiting what Deneb can do as well.

Xtreme Member

Q6600 B3, case fans was on low speed

V8 is very quiet
    Last edited by Envy; 10-23-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Banned
    How?

I have the IFX-14 and it looks nothing like the V10?
    oopss meant the V12 & the IFX-14 with an extra fin

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The V12 looks like the hyper-212 with 2 extra heatpipes either end and an extra fan

edit: im looking forward to the V10
    Last edited by oohms; 10-23-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Q9550 || DFI P45 Jr || 4x 2G generic ram || 4870X2 || Aerocool M40 case || 3TB storage

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by emoners View Post
    oopss meant the V12 & the IFX-14 with an extra fin

LOL k, that makes a lot more sence .

Banned
    LOL k, that makes a lot more sence .
    hehehe sorry dude

Xtreme Member
    i hate pulling out the motherboard to install/uninstall a heatsink.
    Why cant the motherboard manufacturers be responsible for a universal plug and play cpu heatsink installation, just like they do for the actual cpu?

As for the V10, i don't really think I want anything that's not easily detachable, covering my ram sockets.
    What? I have to pull out my motherboard, detach my cpu heatsink... to swap my ram?
    No thank you.

V8 and V12 look alright, if you don't have a true already that is
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CoolerMaster Stacker 830SE|Antec Signature 850W|Gigabyte X58A-UD5 F5 slic2.1
    Intel Core i7 930 16x200@3,200Mhz|vcore 1.14|Intel Stock CPU Cooler
    GSKILL DDR3 Perfect Storm 2000 @6-6-6-16-1T 1600Mhz|ATI 5870 1024MB 850/1200
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 bootdisk: Crucial RealSSD-C300 128GB SATA-III

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
    i hate pulling out the motherboard to install/uninstall a heatsink.
    Why cant the motherboard manufacturers be responsible for a universal plug and play cpu heatsink installation, just like they do for the actual cpu?

As for the V10, i don't really think I want anything that's not easily detachable, covering my ram sockets.
    What? I have to pull out my motherboard, detach my cpu heatsink... to swap my ram?
    No thank you.

V8 and V12 look alright, if you don't have a true already that is
    I agree that V10 would a pain 2 own/use.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What of socket support? only 775 and AM2? how about nehalem?
    Modded Cosmos. | Maximus II Formula. Bios 1307| 2x2 Mushkin XP ASCENT 8500 | Q9550-E0- 4.10 + TRUE | Visiontek HD4870X2 | LN32A550 1920x1080 | X-FI Extreme Gamer | Z5300E | G15v.1 | G7 | MX518 | Corsair HX1000 | X25-MG2 80G | 5xHDD

CM will have a retention bracket adapter for nehalem. Not out yet but I believe they will be available once intel i7 is out.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i wonder how thus would fair against coolermasters 6heatpipe Hyper Z600
    (google for reviews)
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Quote Originally Posted by HDCHOPPER View Post
    looks good ! anything that can hold a Quad under 60* is cool
    My Zalman 9700NT can keep the Q9450 at about 57 with a vcore of I think 1.4 under load. Both are lapped if that makes a difference. But this is with the fan on about 50% through a fan controller.

This looks a very very nice cooler. I don't really like the top bit though. The v10 looks good, however does the fan cool the RAM as well or something
    Nice review

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12