Thread: Thermal Shutdown?

Xtreme Addict

Thermal Shutdown?

Anyone gotten serious degradation off of this? After installing my new CPU today, I didn't have the puspins locked in tight enough... and the PC shut down twice... I booted and the PC turned off... and then I booted again, and the PC turned off... before I corrected the problem
    Last edited by Loser777; 07-12-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    /bump..
    Any of you guys experienced degradation after a thermal shutdown?
    1.7%

I am Xtreme
    Why d you think they call it thermal shutdown ? to avoid damage being done to the CPU... degredation doesn't happen in 5 secs... also on anote if youtr pc shutsdown it's no use to keep on tryin got fire it up, something is wrong... like you installed a new cpu you should have been aware it had got something to do with that...

well hope you have better luck with this Q6600 Mate
    Last edited by Leeghoofd; 07-12-2008 at 11:26 PM.
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

so you were complaining about your clocks then you are using the stock heat sink
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    so you were complaining about your clocks then you are using the stock heat sink
    I'm using it until I can get a bolt-thru for my Xigmatek. On the other chip I had, I was using the S1283, not the Stock Cooler.

---
    Sorry, I guess I should call if TJ Max?

---
    It's a pwnage chip btw... VID 1.2125v, 3.6GHz @ 1.33v
    Last edited by Loser777; 07-13-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    So no one thinks a chip will degrade noticeably if It went to TJ max a couple times (for like 3 secs)?
    1.7%

Xtreme Member
    unclewebb (developer of Real Temp) took his Q6600 to Tjmax (thermal throttling) several times in this post http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1676 with no ill effects noted. In fact, his opinion seems to be that C2D or C2Q CPUs do a very good job of protecting themselves. It appears to me that degradation of a CPU comes from a combination of high temps and extra voltage necessary for OCing. If what unclewebb implies is true, high temps alone aren't enough to damage the processor.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsdv10 View Post
    unclewebb (developer of Real Temp) took his Q6600 to Tjmax (thermal throttling) several times in this post http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=1676 with no ill effects noted. In fact, his opinion seems to be that C2D or C2Q CPUs do a very good job of protecting themselves. It appears to me that degradation of a CPU comes from a combination of high temps and extra voltage necessary for OCing. If what unclewebb implies is true, high temps alone aren't enough to damage the processor.
    Interesting - thanks for summarizing.