Thread: 'New Posts - Live' feature?

I am Xtreme

'New Posts - Live' feature?

was browsing @ another forum - they use VB as well - they have this 'New Posts - Live' feature: it shows new posts that are made, as they are made - 'live' so to speak, ya get?

How come we dont have it?

TIA
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post
    was browsing @ another forum - they use VB as well - they have this 'New Posts - Live' feature: it shows new posts that are made, as they are made - 'live' so to speak, ya get?

TIA
    No one is alive??????
    mike

ROADTRIP For my DAD 09-11-07 and MA 10-28-11

comhar a neartú agus a leathnú

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by tiro_uspsss View Post

TIA
    Why would that be necessary?

Someone could get angry at someone/something and just fill the reply with things they never would actually post, and potentially insult someone. Honestly sounds like a stupid idea. I think you can wait 15 seconds for the person to finish a post.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Lead Head View Post
    Why would that be necessary?

Someone could get angry at someone/something and just fill the reply with things they never would actually post, and potentially insult someone. Honestly sounds like a stupid idea. I think you can wait 15 seconds for the person to finish a post.
    You mean this feature let's you see what someone is typing WHILE they're typing it? I thought the OP meant that it was like RSS or other 'push' technique - like when my Yahoo inbox is automatically updated when I get new mail.

Having something viewable as it's being typed = bad - as 'in don't cross the streams' (Ghostbusters) bad. Not to mention the kind of bandwidth you would need since the connection would always have to be open.

Autoupdating on the other hand wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you could turn it off. When I refresh recent threads, I make a mental note of the time of the most recent post I saw so I know how many new posts I have to review. If it got updated when I wasn't looking, I'd have a hard time figuring out where I left off. If autoupdates were color coded or something, that would be fine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    You mean this feature let's you see what someone is typing WHILE they're typing it? I thought the OP meant that it was like RSS or other 'push' technique - like when my Yahoo inbox is automatically updated when I get new mail.

Having something viewable as it's being typed = bad - as 'in don't cross the streams' (Ghostbusters) bad. Not to mention the kind of bandwidth you would need since the connection would always have to be open.

Autoupdating on the other hand wouldn't be a bad idea as long as you could turn it off. When I refresh recent threads, I make a mental note of the time of the most recent post I saw so I know how many new posts I have to review. If it got updated when I wasn't looking, I'd have a hard time figuring out where I left off. If autoupdates were color coded or something, that would be fine.
    I hope thats what he mens, I just got thrown off by the "As they are being made" thing
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    No it only shows the posts after it is submitted the page just continuosly updates. Check out overclock.net to see it in action.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    No it only shows the posts after it is submitted the page just continuosly updates. Check out overclock.net to see it in action.
    thats it - thats how its done ^

sorry for the confusion, didnt know how to explain it properly

heatware / ebay

Xtreme Member
    well, if you don't mind opera you can do this to any page
    as it has an autorefresh built into the browser....why ff doesn't have one idk
    There are no dangerous weapons, there are only dangerous men. - RAH
    Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Thund3rb1rd View Post
    well, if you don't mind opera you can do this to any page
    as it has an autorefresh built into the browser....why ff doesn't have one idk
    I already use that feature for my subscriptions page

heatware / ebay