Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nine Inch Nails Releases Free Album In High Definition Audio

Xtreme Member
    To tell the truth, you could kijiji/craigslist your way to a year 199x system that used to be $5000 for less then $500 today, like i did
    Pair of 1993 paradigm 5se's (nearly a grand back in the day) and a nad integrated amp that ran a good $600 + a '92 yamaha naturalsound 5cd player (108db signal XD) that i got with an original receipt for $369, as of 6 weeks ago cost me $120+$200+$40 = ~$350 for a kickass system. Differences between shiny 10000jiggawatt best buy boomboxes are pretty intense when you can hear the drummer breathing and the guitarists's hand sliding up and down the handle of his guitar from a quality recording. That and of course the 8.5" woven-glass composite drivers on the 5se's make the ak from cs:s heard loud n clear a block down.
    I used to be a schizophrenic; but we're okay now.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post
    So how do I make sure that I am hearing 24/96 through my headphones? Do I set Vista to 24/96, driver to bit perfect output and Foobar to 24/96? I understood that Vista would always mess with the audio source unless you used ASIO or an application supporting Exclusive Mode (foobar does not have this). I wish there was some sort of application that would tell you the sound signal info that was leaving the sound card's analog out or at least the info that hits the DAC in the soundcard.

Also, where can I find a dedicated analog volume control so as to bypass the digital volume control in Windows (or does such a thing exist)? Would look something like this:

Vista 64 --> Foobar --> Prelude driver --> Prelude DAC --> Prelude OPAMP --> analog out --> analog volume control box --> headphones
    You may want to try getting rid of foobar now that creative's drivers, and WaveRT have been updated.

I use Corel WinDVD9 for HDDVD/BLURAY...this app shows what is being offered from the source material, and what is being rendered by Vista.

Using DolbyHD, for example, avg is about 2500 kbps on audio. HD stuff and all...

anyway, the software then interfaces with my XonarD2X via DirectSound(WaveRT) and my card sends the stream out in 96khz/24bit to my amp via PCM stream.

Now, before WaveRt was fixed, I'd only get 44.1khz/16bit out, and only stereo PCM.

So, for you, you want to set vista for 96/24, bit matched, and toss off the Foobar plug-in. I'm set to 192khz/24bit, confirmed via Protools i get 192khz/24bit digital out.

IF that doesn't work, then creative still has thier head in the sand.

can some1 tell me why the files are encrypted, and what i should i use to decrypt them (i got the mp3)

its also 210-256 VBR so im disappointed the last one was in 320KB, im going to have to redload it this time in wave
    Last edited by zanzabar; 05-09-2008 at 02:18 PM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    can some1 tell me why the files are encrypted, and what i should i use to decrypt them (i got the mp3)

its also 210-256 VBR so im disappointed the last one was in 320KB, im going to have to redload it this time in wave
    320CBR is arguably equivalent to the V0 format used.

and encrypted? Did the mp3's come in a .rar?
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

yah they came in a rar, but then they are encrypted (it came with the key) but windows explorer shows them as green (encrypted)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post

Read this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    Even better. But I doubt 99% of people could pick out a difference between a 250 and a 320k VBR encoded with LAME. That's why I only bothered saying 200-250.

The reason is with VBR, parts of the music may be 320kbps or even more - the bitrate is adjusted based on the content at the time. At complex parts very little information is discarded/compressed to preserve the quality of the audio. That is why the bitrate is misleading with VBR tracks - it may say 223kbps but parts of it are much higher and others are lower.
    The encoder used also plays a role. Rule of thumb: don't trust the numbers.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    bah b.s. torrents..

have to grab it off usenets
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    i tried this the other day, then gave up

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    X-Fi + AT World Map?

Unless the X-Fi is modded its only "good" as far as audio quality goes.
    doh! silly link

and i mod EVERYTHING i can to get better performance *anything within reason*.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826402012

these should be it. they were a gift to me from my gf.

someone should develop a vacuum tube mod ive got a few rca 12sx7's here i could donate
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 05-12-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

Xtreme Addict
    Mettalica was cool when i was 12..when they cut their hair..and became cranky SOB's they began to suck...megadeth was always better and is now..after getting back together.

they can eat my poo for all i care anymore.

Slayer should do this with their next album..

very nice speed on torrent btw, getting 1.5MB

just sign up via email, and follow link to FLAC files

i might check out the "studio quality"

but the FLAC is very nice
    Last edited by strange|ife; 05-12-2008 at 09:08 PM.
    ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Downloaded. Too bad the album isn't all that great. I miss the good ol' NIN albums.
    yes he needs to back to Broken angst.

Although With Teeth was superb

can't complain these are free, he is just throwing out studio stuffs
    ~

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by LOE View Post
    omg, I downloaded that album last week and managed to listen to whole 2 tracks before I deleted it

it is absolutely weak, my roommate that knows nothing about music could do a better album in a week using fruity loops

shame on nin for blasting out such crap, the fact they are famous doesn't mean then can make such a lame album and throw it to the crowd

it would be a shame asking to pay for that thing
    I am highly disappointed form that album
    Maybe that's why it was free LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    I agree with some of you, free but nonsense "music"

Xtreme Member
    For anyone that cares, T.Reznor fixed the 24/96 files so they are true 24/96. Someone found out that most of the tracks were padded with 0s or something. Guess it was a mastering mistake. Feel free to read the thread here:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...pic=63086&st=0

"Gents-
    Thanks for the heads up regarding this matter. The corrected files are now posted on our site and if you re-download them they will be the correct ones.
    What happened? We mastered this on Friday (5/2) and released it Sunday night. The files went right from mastering to the server without the proper scrutiny (aside from a cursory listen for errors). The last two songs were different because they were redone due to an audible error we did find.
    Bottom line: some sort of mastering shenanigans took place.
    In addition, there are now 24/96 FLAC files as well as wave files.

BTW, the record was recorded at 24/96 using a Lavry AD122-96MKIII, Antelope's Isochrone OCX clock and mixed in analog through the SSL AWS 900+. We mixed back into Pro Tools through the Lavry as well as a separate rig running at 24/192 using Apogee A/D. The mixes we chose varied song to song based on what sounded best to us.

Trent Reznor"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234