Thread: Difference between standard and x-flow BIE 360?

Xtreme Member

Difference between standard and x-flow BIE 360?

Is there any performance (flow rate, temperature) between the x-flow and standard Black ice EXTREME III?? While looking at my loop, I think an x flow would be best.
    QX9770 4.0 // HD 4870's Crossfire // DFI X48-T2R // 4GB mushkin DDR2 1066 // 2X Raptor-X RAID-0 // Samsung 1TB
    E8400 4.2 // HD 4850 // XFX 780I SLI // 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 // 2X Raptor 150 RAID-0 // Samsung 1TB //

Xtreme Member
    An X flow means single pass...the liquid flows along the length of the rad once, from one corner to the other corner diagonally. Its less restrictive but the heat transfer would be less
    Note that the inlet and outlet would be on different sides of the rad

A standard BIE is 2 pass...the liquid flows from one side to the other along one set of tubings, and then back to the same side along another
    More restrictive, more cooling and both barbs are on the same side which may or make not make life and tubing routing easier

Xtreme Member
    That was the whole point, I was aware that the inlet was on the opposite side, that is what interested 1me as I was trying to plan out a new build in my head and wanted to minimize tube length, but not at the expensive of performance. Thanks for the info crazy asian guy with interesting hair.
    QX9770 4.0 // HD 4870's Crossfire // DFI X48-T2R // 4GB mushkin DDR2 1066 // 2X Raptor-X RAID-0 // Samsung 1TB
    E8400 4.2 // HD 4850 // XFX 780I SLI // 4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 // 2X Raptor 150 RAID-0 // Samsung 1TB //

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    An X flow means single pass...the liquid flows along the length of the rad once, from one corner to the other corner diagonally. Its less restrictive but the heat transfer would be less
    Note that the inlet and outlet would be on different sides of the rad

A standard BIE is 2 pass...the liquid flows from one side to the other along one set of tubings, and then back to the same side along another
    More restrictive, more cooling and both barbs are on the same side which may or make not make life and tubing routing easier
    X-flow is very restrictive and has good heat tranfer when use with high cfm fans due to itīs compact fins and the tubes a very flat thereby exposing the coolant to more surface area. But i believe the BI-Extreme will beat it when both are compared due to itīs double pass and itīs thicker in width than the X-Flow. Everything depends on what you want to cool and which will be easier for you to configure in your loop.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Addict
    The HWL rads were not designed to be single pass, so they are not as effective as ones designed for it from the ground up (PA160) since all they do is solder on different tanks to the core.

That said, with fast fans, it'll work...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker003 View Post
    X-flow is very restrictive and has good heat tranfer when use with high cfm fans due to itīs compact fins and the tubes a very flat thereby exposing the coolant to more surface area. But i believe the BI-Extreme will beat it when both are compared due to itīs double pass and itīs thicker in width than the X-Flow. Everything depends on what you want to cool and which will be easier for you to configure in your loop.
    arh...i knew i got something wrong

thanks for straightening the "crazy asian guy with interesting hair" out

what`s the diference?

same surface aria , less restrictive is the real advantage of X-flow - if the barbs are the same as each ather , and beter flow rig.

Quote Originally Posted by kolombo View Post
    same surface aria , less restrictive is the real advantage of X-flow - if the barbs are the same as each ather , and beter flow rig.
    X-Flow is not less restrictive and they do not have the same surface area. The BI- extreme has more surface area for the water to lose more heat. I think the gurus should come in and clear this confusion.
    Last edited by Shocker003; 05-16-2008 at 08:36 AM.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well according to the review data here the pressure drop is the same for normal and xflow BI models:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=77260

(Scroll down in the first post a bit)