Thread: DoD or DoD'oh?

I am Xtreme

DoD or DoD'oh?

Looks like the most secure networks on the planet could have been compromised. They're saying they weren't, but then how likely is that they would admit if they had?

Counterfeit Cisco components

U.S. military had counterfeit Cisco networking gear in its secure networks

For many in law enforcement and national security in the U.S. security concerns are very big after the FBI discovered that the U.S. military had bogus computer gear in use in its military networks. The fear is that counterfeit networking components could introduce Trojans and possible security breaches into secure networks in America.

According to The New York Times, the FBI ran an investigation called Operation Cisco Raider that has so far led to 15 criminal cases involving counterfeit products that were bought and in use by U.S. military agencies, military contractors and electric power companies in America.

Operation Cisco Raider uncovered 3,500 counterfeit Cisco network components, with an estimated value of $3.5 million. According to the FBI’s briefing of the Office of Management and Budget, the counterfeit equipment could allow the remote jamming of networks thought to be secure and possibly could allow access to networks remotely.

A Cisco spokesman told The New York Times, “We did not find any evidence of re-engineering in the manner that was described in the FBI presentation. We know what these counterfeiters are about." Cisco believes that the counterfeiters weren’t attempting to get products into the market that would allow intrusion into secure networks. Rather Cisco feels that the counterfeiters were simply trying to produce copies of popular products to make fast money.

The threat of gaining access to secure systems via backdoors and exploits in hardware is real. Researchers at the University of Illinois were able to modify a Sun Microsystems SPARC processor by altering a data file on the chip. The chip altered was used in automated manufacturing systems and the modifications allowed the researchers to steal passwords from the system the processor was used in.

The issue of compromised hardware used in defense systems was highlighted with the bombing of the suspected Syrian nuclear plant by Israel. In that recent example, security analysts believe antiaircraft weapons were compromised and were turned off remotely prior to the attack.

Compromised hardware isn't the only source of security breaches for secure networks. A simple phishing attack on one of the countries most prestigious research laboratories allowed the breach of information from networks at Los Alamos.

Xtreme Addict
    lol @ Operation Cisco Raider

Who names this stuff?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    The issue of compromised hardware used in defense systems was highlighted with the bombing of the suspected Syrian nuclear plant by Israel. In that recent example, security analysts believe antiaircraft weapons were compromised and were turned off remotely prior to the attack.
    huh? what? when did israel bomb a nuclear plant in syria???

YouTube Addict
    Well atleast this will help enable open source hardware to start moving forward.
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Hahahaha! This is the ultimate way to intercept information. I imagine they didn't even screen the contractors, just let them in with their boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    I think it happened about a year ago? Don't think it was Syria though, wasn't it another country? I just remember analysts all getting pissy about the idea of it being a breeder/refinement reactor.

Xtreme Mentor
    A REALLY long time ago.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by nn_step View Post
    Well atleast this will help enable open source hardware to start moving forward.
    Open source? Hardware? Does not compute. Does not compute.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Open source? Hardware? Does not compute. Does not compute.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

I am Xtreme
    Interesting.

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    Interesting.
    now the really surprising part is that right now Open Source hardware is competitive against commercial processors in terms of performance

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    A REALLY long time ago.
    Oh, I must have been thinking of something else. Perhaps it was bombing something in Iran?

You guys are kidding, right?

The building was bombed last fall.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    What really scares me is this:

The threat of gaining access to secure systems via backdoors and exploits in hardware is real. Researchers at the University of Illinois were able to modify a Sun Microsystems SPARC processor by altering a data file on the chip. The chip altered was used in automated manufacturing systems and the modifications allowed the researchers to steal passwords from the system the processor was used in.
    So the hw you are using could be spying on you without you ever knowing it?
    I think I'll resort to my fingers and toes for my calculating needs
    *tinfoilhat*
    Usual suspects: i5-750 & H212+ | Biostar T5XE CFX-SLI | 4GB RAndoM | 4850 + AC S1 + 120@5V + modded stock for VRAM/VRM | Seasonic S12-600 | 7200.12 | P180 | U2311H & S2253BW | MX518
    mITX media & to-be-server machine: A330ION | Seasonic SFX | WD600BEVS boot & WD15EARS data
    Laptops: Lifebook T4215 tablet, Vaio TX3XP
    Bike: ZX6R

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    *tinfoilhat*
    That's the beauty of anonimity. Nobody cares about you so they don't bother hacking you.

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Mentor
    Several months back.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    A REALLY long time ago.
    No, you are thinking of Iraq. Syria was recent.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
    *tinfoilhat*
    I have an old IBM XT with 256k (maybe 512k) of ram and an AST 6-pack that I guarantee is spyware free. And nn_step can probably get you Commodore 64. We just have to keep it on the down-low.

I am Xtreme
    never gona happen for military or other critical applications.

Xtreme CCIE
    ?

Why, because people couldn't possibly counterfeit open source hardware and alter it to their own nefarious ends? Unless you're going to inspect the hardware to ensure it's what you asked for, I'm sure it's not possible to screen for people doing things to it.

In other news, I don't believe there is usefully any nefarious way to make use of this networking equipment. First off, passwords in any deployment aren't stored on the device... they're stored in a TACACS or RADIUS server, against which a person is authenticated. So no passwords. From there, any even slightly secure place will keep a traffic log, so if somehow they inserted code to trunk data from all ports out to a FW to a remote computer (which, incidentally, would surely set off an alarm when the traffic on that port constantly saturated its link) it should be caught before too long.

Let's take off our tinfoil hats and go home, nothing to see here...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Addict
    I thought Germans would pay more attention to the world news instead of living under the rock like Americans, but I was wrong in generalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    You guys are kidding, right?

The building was bombed last fall.
    Yup, but there's no nuclear plants, just a Syrian government building.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    No, you are thinking of Iraq. Syria was recent.
    Bombing was last year, AFAIK, the news came out recently in the past few months/weeks.

The Israelis Zionists are turning into terrorists. They had a picture of a North Korean nuclear scientist and Syria's Energy Department head together in Syria. So they bombed the building, believing Syria is refining materials for Nuclear weapons. But at the same time, Uncle Sam released news/informations on how the North Korean are faking all the time about their capabilities to produce nuclear weapons. So the whole thing is a freaking mass.
    Athlon 64 3200+ | ASUS M2A-VM 0202 | Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 | 3ware 9650SE 4LPML | Seasonic SS-380HB | Antec Solo
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | ASUS P5WDG2-WS Pro 1001 | Gigabyte 4850HD Silent | G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ | Samsung MCCOE64G5MPP-0VA SLC SSD | Seasonic M12 650 | Antec P180
    Core i7-2600K @ 4.3 GHz @ 1.30V | ASUS P8P67 Pro | Sparkle GTX 560 Ti | G.Skill Ripjaw X F3-12800CL8 4x4GB @ 933MHz 9-10-9-24 2T | Crucial C300 128GB | Seasonic X750 Gold | Antec P183

Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    DRAM production lines are simple and extremely cheap in a ultra low profit market.