Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Is it ok to wash my PSU with soap & water?

Xtreme Infrastructure Eng
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchrist
    In order to properly discharge an uncased PSU, you MUST bite on a chunk of aluminum foil between two or more fillings in your teeth while someone squirts lemon juice in your eyes while slamming your schlong in a drawer repeatedly. That way you won't feel the pain if your PSU does happen to discharge, and I will gleefully enjoy hearing the details of your death in the news. Yeah all the so called "experts" (makes air quotes with fingers while rolling eyes) in here are full of it. Wash your PSU's with water or milk or dog shampoo, you can even pee on them while they're running- forget multimeter's and O scopes, you can just use your tongue as the experience is much more fun and educational. There is no reason to use caution when dealing with electricity as long as you are brave and intellugent. These expert guys just want to waste your time with extra steps. When my PC is dirty I just shove the ole girl in the dishwasher fill the soap tray with gasoline (my Pappy who is also my favorite Uncle cleans his weed whacker this way) and fire her up. Next time I'm gonna keep her plugged in so I can listen to Nickelback while I trim my toenails with an electric carving knife.
    I want to change my earlier warning of "Don't Be Stupid" (I was being a wussy) to Weird Al Yankovic's motto of "Dare To Be Stupid!". Stoopid IS XTREME!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchrist
    Yeah, you're not keeping up with the times. I clearly stated that you can pee on them or whatever you want. Why beat a dead horse, are you trying to piss me off? I live in Seattle so I can just strap one to the top of my van during the rain season and drive around all day. Last year I took a brand new PCP&C 1000 watter with me on a canoe trip just so it would be nice and clean for it's first use. It's cool, I figured out that if you can plug it in to someone's RV and then drop it in the river, I can have all the salmon I can throw into a trash bag. This is XTREME SYSTEMS!!! I live Xtremely. Soon I'll be the first guy in here to have a 30" monitor on a wave runner, cause plastic is waterproof and that's what the case is made out of, so why not? I figured I'd just strip the wall plug off of the cord and hook the leads directly to the wave runner battery. I'm off to pimp my wave runner you wussies!!! You'll never be more extreme than me!!!
    First time I've let out a guffaw while browsing XS in a long time. End of thread.
    Less is more.

All this talk of disclaimers is really not helpful to society in general. We as humans do enough to thwart the efforts of natural selection everyday to the point where empty 5 gal buckets at the store have a warning showing a toddler drowning in the bucket and hot coffee cups bear a warning that the coffee is hot and it might burn you. I personally think this will never breed out the idiots among us. I'm in favor of leaving 5 gal buckets full of water all over playgrounds and schoolyards and we'll call them "Tard Traps." I also think that if any lawyer is approached about suing ANYONE for a burn resulting from hot coffee (except if coffee is thrown at them) the lawyer should be obligated to call the police and have this person dipped in a vat of boiling coffee until they become a skeleton, which can then be used in science classes to teach the kids that didn't drown in the Tard Traps (pat. pending). In the case where coffee was thrown on them by someone else, if the person was throwing the coffee in order to prevent them from suing a fast food chain, cleaning their PSU with high pressure water, or suing the maker of a 5 gal bucket- the person throwing the coffee should just take comfort in the fact that he/she burned a moron. In the case where you may be throwing the coffee to prevent the drowning of a toddler in a 5 gal bucket, stop yourself, add the coffee to the water and push that little dipsh*t down further into the bucket and walk away.
    Some people just need to learn the hard way and disclaimers will just prolong OUR agony.
    Just say NO to disclaimers, and YES to good parenting and common sense.
    EVGA 680i
    e6600 + 2gb Dominator 6400C4d
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    2 Seagate 120 gb SATA 7200 rpm RAID 0-WinXP Pro 32
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenchrist View Post
    All this talk of disclaimers is really not helpful to society in general. We as humans do enough to thwart the efforts of natural selection everyday to the point where empty 5 gal buckets at the store have a warning showing a toddler drowning in the bucket and hot coffee cups bear a warning that the coffee is hot and it might burn you. I personally think this will never breed out the idiots among us. I'm in favor of leaving 5 gal buckets full of water all over playgrounds and schoolyards and we'll call them "Tard Traps." I also think that if any lawyer is approached about suing ANYONE for a burn resulting from hot coffee (except if coffee is thrown at them) the lawyer should be obligated to call the police and have this person dipped in a vat of boiling coffee until they become a skeleton, which can then be used in science classes to teach the kids that didn't drown in the Tard Traps (pat. pending). In the case where coffee was thrown on them by someone else, if the person was throwing the coffee in order to prevent them from suing a fast food chain, cleaning their PSU with high pressure water, or suing the maker of a 5 gal bucket- the person throwing the coffee should just take comfort in the fact that he/she burned a moron. In the case where you may be throwing the coffee to prevent the drowning of a toddler in a 5 gal bucket, stop yourself, add the coffee to the water and push that little dipsh*t down further into the bucket and walk away.
    Some people just need to learn the hard way and disclaimers will just prolong OUR agony.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Water will not damage anything except the fan since the water will be trapped inside and will cause corrosion.

If you use tap water just use isopropyl wash it off since if you just let it dry you will get calcium and other deposits. If you used distilled just let it dry. If you use deionized then your good to go even if its still wet.

The key is to let it dry, airflow is key. If there is no airflow water could remain under capacitors, various other surface mount components, etc. for weeks.

Xtreme Member
    I can't belive you actually used water...
    PENGUIN BOX

CPU------X2 3800+ Toledo @2.6Ghz (260x10 1.35v)
    MOBO----Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    RAM------OCZ Gold 2x1GB @ 2.5-3-3-6-1T DDR434
    Video-----EVGA 7900GTO

HEAT

Xtreme Member
    awesome, im totaly gunna clean all my pc parts with high pressure water.
    ------------------------------------COMPUTER-----------------------------------------

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @ 3000.00 MHz (250x12) (1.424 V) [ADA5200CSBOX]
    Cooling - Cooler Master GeminII w/ 2x Antec TriCool 120mm Blue LED Fans
    RAM - Crucial Ballistix LANfest PC2-6400 @ DDR2-1000, 5-4-4-10, 2.2v
    MoBo - Biostar TF560 A2+
    GFX - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
    PSU - Corsair 620W Modular Active PFC [CMPSU-620HX]
    HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 250 GB [ST3250310AS]
    Case - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel

Xtreme Member
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291543,00.html

thought this deserved a place here
    Gaming Box:: q6600 @3.0 :: 9800gtx :: Abit IP35 :: 4gb :: 1.4TB :: akasa eclipse :: Win7
    Development:: PhenomII 955BE @3.2 :: 4200 :: asus M4A785 M Evo :: 1.25TB ::Win7
    Media Centre :: q6600 @3.0 :: x1950pro :: asus p35 epu :: 8gb :: 320 GB :: Lc17B :: Win7
    server:: I7 860 :: p55 gd65 :: 3450 :: 8 TB :: 8gb :: Rebel 12 :: server 2008 R2

Frankenchrist you have made my day!! now im off to bead blast my keyboard to get the coffee out of it that you made me spew.

Thanks I'm glad I could help. I'm working my way up to the title of Resident Smartass...
    EVGA 680i
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

I'm very skeptical of that FOX story.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I love it. Reminds me of the recent story of the kid who died when he taunted the tiger. Yes, taunt the 500lb animal with 6 inch long razor sharp teeth that can run at nearly 50mph. Good idea .
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    Yes, taunt the 500lb animal with 6 inch long razor sharp teeth
    Was it a saber tooth tiger ?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    yes. yes it was.
    Boy that info was old. As am I. Currently my kids have taken over my desktops. They are both sporting matching GTX1080's. Last Christmas I got everyone Oculuses and thus GTX1080's. My eldest is some sort of CSGO champion gold label something or other. Me I work and shoot real guns. Build Comps as needed.

Xtreme Member
    The answer is NO.

You can't wash the PSU. You can dis assemble it to vacum the dust but washing it will cause water to penetrate transformer leading to short circuit and explosion.

If transformer gets wet or other parts, the PSU is as good as dead.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Okay so maybe I was exaggerating a bit .
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Mentor
    ROTFLOL @ the Tard Traps!!
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

EVGA 680i
    EVGA 8800 GTS
    OCZ 700w Gamestream
    Lian-Li PC-V2000
    DARE TO BE STUPID!!!

You are one crazy dude man. I'm gunna try this one day. I very curious now.

Foxnews story doesn't make any sense. How in hell did this guys leg in there?

Xtreme Member
    Bunch of retards lol..... Y in the world would you clean a psu out with water just to "experiment"!!?!?!?!?! that = very dumb in my book! And sure they have electronics that can in the water but they are enclosed with special non conductive grease packed around them where they wont short!! but in the case of a dang psu for a computer = stupidity! just my ideas
    Double stacked Lian Li 343b Cube lifetime project!

WTF?

You My man,Have just won the n00b of the year award,Congratulations

AMD 4800+ X2 @ 2.4Ghz Percore,nVidia 8600GT @ 680/800
    Windows XP
    LG 19' Widescreen LCD
    Creative FATAL1TY Gaming Keyboard

Frankenchrist, you are hilarious.
    Last edited by Soulburner; 01-29-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Bok, ano 'yan air-con?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345