Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

Thread: Official AMD Barcelona Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    95W 1.9Ghz K10, or 120W 2.4-2.5Ghz?

Or get a 50W 2Ghz Xeon? Or 3Ghz 120W?

Unlike you, I dont expect K10 to be the reincarnation of god on earth.
    But seems we have to wait a few months yet for the final results.
    unlike you i dont think it will be a piece of .....
    do you really think a 2GHz clovertown beats a 1.9ghz K10?
    well i would bet on the K10

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    I don't know why you guys are complaining about prices of Barcelona series 2xxx. Probably you are comparing it with Single Socket C2Q or Single Socket Opteron?? I hoped everyone knows that for 2-way or 8-way CPUs you paying EXTRA!
    You're right, it's not so much, if we look on X2, the best lauch price was 537$

Quote Originally Posted by GoThr3k View Post
    unlike you i dont think it will be a piece of .....
    do you really think a 2GHz clovertown beats a 1.9ghz K10?
    well i would bet on the K10
    I believe this is about the same price. I would bet this is about the same performance

Or get a 50W 2Ghz Xeon?
    Doesn't exist (1.86 GHz)
    Last edited by nemrod; 06-27-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    no telling really. You have to take into account the server chips costing more, clocks are... meh. I wonder how it will perform. The PRICE is what I use to measure performance at this part of the game.

Perhaps compare to projected Q6600 prices?

Ryan
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 @ 3200 w/ Tuniq Tower
    2x2gb A-Data DDR2 800
    AMD/ATi HD 4870

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7676
    You should compare not the Q6600 but the Xeons to the recent INQ report.

Xtreme Member
    Kevin Knox (vice president of AMD's commercial business)

Where do things currently stand with Barcelona? We're still on target for a midyear launch with Barcelona. We're actually pretty excited about the product, particularly with respect to some of the features that we're going to enable. When we started out with Barcelona, it had a certain feature set. From the time we started out, from the design perspective, the aspects we're going to address, things like virtualization and power, have become more important to the industry. We think its going to have a bigger impact than we originally anticipated.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ntsrc=hm_topic

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by PetNorth View Post
    Kevin Knox (vice president of AMD's commercial business)

Where do things currently stand with Barcelona? We're still on target for a midyear launch with Barcelona. We're actually pretty excited about the product, particularly with respect to some of the features that we're going to enable. When we started out with Barcelona, it had a certain feature set. From the time we started out, from the design perspective, the aspects we're going to address, things like virtualization and power, have become more important to the industry. We think its going to have a bigger impact than we originally anticipated.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...ntsrc=hm_topic
    Translated:
    Our K10 will use less power idle and perform better in a virtualized environment. Besides that we dont have anything to show.

But I guess this performs just aswell as the 2900XT GTX killer and the pricewar 100million parts uber performance 2600XT.

Is Barcelona going to reverse AMD's recent losses in server market share? I firmly believe it will. A lot of that has to do with this not being just a speed upgrade. If it was just a speed upgrade ... it's a lot more challenging at any point in time to get an advantage and maintain that advantage.
    Oh ye, speedbumps is completely overrated. Now lets focus on something else.
    Last edited by Shintai; 06-28-2007 at 12:39 PM.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Banned
    Translated:
    Our K10 will use less power idle and perform better in a virtualized environment. Besides that we dont have anything to show.

But I guess this performs just aswell as the 2900XT GTX killer and the pricewar 100million parts uber performance 2600XT.

Oh ye, speedbumps is completely overrated. Now lets focus on something else.
    truth is perception
    a statement that you prove right every reply....

Xtreme Addict
    Using ATi designs to discredit AMD? Thats a really lame argument. And AMD didnt try to use false benchmarks and shady marketing to sell the HD2900XT at the highest price point. Instead they priced it very competitively. So much so that here in Greece its cheaper even than the 320MB GTS and about 50E cheaper than the 640MB GTS. I'd say that under those circumstances its a winner
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    truth is perception
    a statement that you prove right every reply....
    Perhaps but you should probably read the full article

Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    Using ATi designs to discredit AMD? Thats a really lame argument. And AMD didnt try to use false benchmarks and shady marketing to sell the HD2900XT at the highest price point. Instead they priced it very competitively. So much so that here in Greece its cheaper even than the 320MB GTS and about 50E cheaper than the 640MB GTS. I'd say that under those circumstances its a winner
    No crap. I wonder what would happen if people just forgot about the R600 fisaco (since AMD didn't develop it - blame ATi) and re-thought how successful AMD could be without that negative thought of a product they didn't develop. I bet you enthusiasm for AMD might be higher...just some people get too wrapped up in speculation and rumors...it's depressing.

Xtreme Mentor
    Okay, the thing is we don't know how K10 will perform yet. We've got speculated prices, frequencies, and TDP. Keyword: SPECULATED. Just because it's showed up somewhere, doesn't mean it's true. You know what speculation is for? It's purpose usually is to stir up
    We all know how secretive AMD is when it comes to a product launch. We're not going to here anything from AMD directly for a while. I think we all know AMD needs to show us something, because all this speculation is killing them.

And the whole thing about R600, it's not AMD's fault. It was too far into design for AMD to have anything to do with it. The R600 does perform well, but power leakage seems the obvious problem.

Also, if you have the thought to bash AMD, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. If you want to bash AMD, start a new thread, and have fun. Just don't do it here. We're discussing Barcelona/Phenom, not bashing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    The R600 does perform well
    Without AA

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Without AA
    Shader AA just isn't up to the task at the moment...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    Shader AA just isn't up to the task at the moment...
    so hes right without aa

Guys, the R600 and Barcelona have nothing to do with each other besides the fact that both are released by AMD...

KEEP ON TOPIC!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon2ky
    "dammit kyle what's with the 30 second sex lately?" "Sorry sweetie, I overclocked my nuts and they haven't been stable since"
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    I don't think his backside has internet access.
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    Hey I just met you
    And this is crazy
    But I'm on bath salts
    And your face looks tasty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2065634

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Key, AnandTech Editor
    I will be glad when we have a Barcelona that will do 1.9GHz.... The B02 steppings have finally arrived and most of the issues we noticed with the B00/B01 are gone, base clock speeds are up to 1.8GHz, 2.0GHz is being sampled to certain partners now.

Xtreme Member
    ^^ hope it means there will be some benchmarks soon

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nemrod View Post
    Perhaps but you should probably read the full article
    i read the full article
    shintai only highlights the stuff he thinks is true.... and are the truth to him
    if K10 will perform well,he will go nuts and will not believe it,thats for sure
    if K10 performs bad, oh well, then this forum is doomed
    because he will post everywhere that he was right,and he knew it all along
    so for the sake of this forum, let K10 perform well

Xtreme Cruncher
    i read the full article
    shintai only highlights the stuff he thinks is true.... and are the truth to him
    if K10 will perform well,he will go nuts and will not believe it,thats for sure
    if K10 performs bad, oh well, then this forum is doomed
    because he will post everywhere that he was right,and he knew it all along
    so for the sake of this forum, let K10 perform well
    Feel free to post the part and highlights where you think the K10 will perform very well.

Instead of just complaining. Try something new and use something to argue with, rather that just the "blabla he suck because he dont think my dream company and favoured comapny wont wtfpwn everyone".

And forum doom if K10 performs bad? Oh my...you really think this forum turns around 1 company?

Banned
    Feel free to post the part and highlights where you think the K10 will perform very well.

Instead of just complaining. Try something new and use something to argue with, rather that just the "blabla he suck because he dont think my dream company and favoured comapny wont wtfpwn everyone".

And forum doom if K10 performs bad? Oh my...you really think this forum turns around 1 company?
    hehe, i guess my post was too difficult for you
    i buy what is best,i dont care if the brand is intel or amd,hell even there was a brand called Shintai i would buy it even if i dislike you

If K10 performs bad, you will post everywhere that you knew it all along, etc etc (damn i hate repeating myself)

the article says this
    - Quadcore was not the problem,it was the combo of core enhancements and the transistion to QC
    - nice virtualization and power usage features
    - upgraded core so better performance

I presume that article also was too difficult for you....

you are the biased one, jumping the gun amd's K10 will perform bad etc,
    i hope it will perform well, otherwise there will not be a lot of competition in the cpu market which is bad for (us minus shintai)
    Last edited by GoThr3k; 06-29-2007 at 02:20 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    hehe, i guess my post was too difficult for you
    i buy what is best,i dont care if the brand is intel or amd,hell even there was a brand called Shintai i would buy it even if i dislike you

If K10 performs bad, you will post everywhere that you knew it all along, etc etc (damn i hate repeating myself)

the article says this
    - Quadcore was not the problem,it was the combo of core enhancements and the transistion to QC
    - nice virtualization and power usage features
    - upgraded core so better performance

I presume that article also was too difficult for you....

you are the biased one, jumping the gun amd's K10 will perform bad etc,
    i hope it will perform well, otherwise there will not be a lot of competition in the cpu market which is bad for (us minus shintai)
    You should really get over your personal issues. Its getting bothersome and is degrading for the forum.

If you note, he is not happy to talk about direct performance. And remember he aint an objective view of it. His main focus on virtualization and powersaving features is the thing that worries me. If he had a "conroe killer" so to say, he would be all over the place talking about nothing cept high performance and regain market leadership.

And saying quadcore is not a problem, is a direct counterstatement against some of his own engineers. That said if they knew the MCM approach would be so approved as it did. they would never even have considered native quadcore due to the problems and issues with such a monolith design (283mm2).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...118193,00.html
    *Barcelona shipping in standard/low power are "planned for shipment for launch later this summer"
    *Shipping in August for revenue, systems equipped with K10 in September
    *"launch up to 2.0 Ghz"
    *Higher frequencies in Q4

Xtreme Cruncher
    2Ghz..ouch...

Xtreme Addict
    Reminds me of the Opteron launch. Hope the IPC is as good as well, otherwise i dont see how AMD will be able to compete on the desktop
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Xtreme Member
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...118193,00.html
    *Barcelona shipping in standard/low power are "planned for shipment for launch later this summer"
    *Shipping in August for revenue, systems equipped with K10 in September
    *"launch up to 2.0 Ghz"
    *Higher frequencies in Q4
    standard/low power at 1.9-2.0 means that's not the highest clock they could squeeze out of the chips.
    Though, this is server, most of us want the Desktop part, comming with "higher frequencies in Q4".

Page 23 of 41 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast