Thread: Phase compressor not starting?

Xtreme Addict

Phase compressor not starting?

It was working fine then I've had to wait for a new motherboard

now the phase doesnt even turn on ????

i checked ALL of the wires and the fuse!!

the only thig ive seen is when i connect the fuse it the compressor it makes the tick noise i usually hear when pluging it in but when i hold the start button it "kicks" on for about a second and never really starts

any ideas
    Last edited by billdavis; 05-12-2007 at 02:56 PM.

I am Xtreme
    is run/start capacitor/capacitors/relays wired correct,if any. Depending on compressor type and start components
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by wdrzal View Post
    is run/start capacitor/capacitors/relays wired correct,if any. Depending on compressor type and start components
    Everything is the exact same as it was when it was working i didnt touch anything other than to see why it didnt work

i cant figure it out???ry to start it NOTHING happens no noises or anything but when i pull and put back the fuses(i have 2 good ones) it sounds like it is starting but dosent like a car that wants to turn over but dosent, only for a second

I am Xtreme
    You first need to trouble shoot electrically since the odds are thats the cause.

there is always the compressor if piston is stuck on top /bottom dead center and need reversed ,but that rare .

Start with a multimeter and also check for power,..... capacitor and relays if it has one.

Xtreme Addict
    i checked with a DVM and there is power but im not sure how much is needed and on what to make it start

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have you tried putting a hard start kit on the compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by A HVAC friend of mine
    If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her evaporator coils.

Xtreme Addict
    i checked all the leads that go to the compressor starter and 1 has a charge but when i press the on button for the unit there is no voltage chang in all 5 wires running to the starter so the power does not make it to the compressor??

I dont know
    it worked fine when i used it last and has sat untouched since then??

is there a way to direct wire the compressor? if that works then i think the G-froster controller is dead
    Last edited by billdavis; 05-12-2007 at 02:22 PM.

I am Xtreme
    It should run without adding a thing unless something is mis wired or capacitor or relay has failed.

I can't get over all the pictures you posted, they really help ,thanks

I am Xtreme
    Time to go to library and get a book of single stage hermetic refrigeration and compressor types and wiring.

Xtreme Addict
    It should run without adding a thing unless something is mis wired or capacitor or relay has failed.

I can't get over all the pictures you posted, they really help ,thanks

ehh does this mean you would like pictures?

the top right wire hookup has about 42 volts and the rest are @0
    Last edited by billdavis; 05-12-2007 at 03:50 PM.

I am Xtreme
    what a jumbo of wires , I see 4 un-pluggeg connectors,2 controllors,1 relay and 1 capacitor from what I see just from that angle ,any one thing can halt starting.

I don't give specific instruction on electrical wiring because of potential danger and not knowing if person understands even basic electricity not alone refrigeration compressor types and wiring + contol wiring.

I suggest to send or find someone local who does, or send it to someone who does.

Or burry your head in some books that are edited for accuracy and learn refrigeration wiring and control wiring. since this invollves electrical motor wiring and electronic controls this WILL NOT be learned quickly.

this requires going thru a troubleshooting tree, checking easiest componetes first and progressing untill failure is found

Xtreme Addict
    yeah well it worked and all is still plugged in from when i got it

but i guess ill f-with it some more but im just pissed off

well the disconnected ones are for the powersupply to run the computer so the 3 hookups dont matter and on the compressor starter the bottom unconnected one has never been hooked up and that came from jin`s wiring so i know that is good. the phase unit is from jin when i put it in my my desktop i didnt change a thing and it has worked for months so i think the controller is jacked up!!!!!
    Last edited by billdavis; 05-12-2007 at 03:54 PM.

I am Xtreme
    why was mobo replaced ,failure???? are you sure??? possible power failure.

It could even go back to A CARBON FUSE that blown in main electrical pannel if it has them. voltage can pass but not current. you should have seen see other things not working in home as you would have lost 1/2 power supply unlees there are sub pannels, one of the hot lines could have blown a fuse,they make boxes with breakers but main fuses. I doubt thats it. just wanted to mention that about carbon fuses.

does your pc boot now and work properly, are the electronics receiving low voltage power???

there are hunders of questions that need answered . Someone skilled will know where and what points to check first to bypass checking things that are OK

If you guy want to work on this stuff .you need to understand electricity 101 even before the refrigeration & controls and electronics parts.

I am Xtreme
    did you use antic static & grounding teniquies when working/handling electronics.

Xtreme Addict
    why was mobo replaced ,failure???? are you sure??? possible power failure.

It could even go back to A CARBON FUSE that blown in main electrical pannel if it has them. voltage can pass but not current. you should have seen see other things not working in home as you would have lost 1/2 power supply unlees there are sub pannels, one of the hot lines could have blown a fuse,they make boxes with breakers but main fuses. I doubt thats it. just wanted to mention that about carbon fuses.

does your pc boot now and work properly, are the electronics receiving low voltage power???

there are hunders of questions that need answered . Someone skilled will know where and what points to check first to bypass checking things that are OK

If you guy want to work on this stuff .you need to understand electricity 101 even before the refrigeration & controls and electronics parts.

the mobo died cause i crushed the SB die so i replaced it

my computer running off the same outlet runs just fine

i always ground out before working on my computer

everything is connected that needs to be

Xtreme Addict
    did you use antic static & grounding teniquies when working/handling electronics.
    Good point Walt

Anyway, is not that difficult to run the compressor overriding the controller.
    You have to remove this cable from the controller as this is one of the compressor wires, get the other compressor wires that goes to the mains and run both directly to mains to start the compressor.

check that and send me a pm.

I am Xtreme
    why is there no leed plugged into common on your multimeter, could you take pic of meter

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssilencer View Post
    Good point Walt

Anyway, is not that difficult to run the compressor overriding the controller.
    You have to remove this cable from the controller as this is one of the compressor wires, get the other compressor wires that goes to the mains and run both directly to mains to start the compressor.

check that and send me a pm.
    worked like a charm

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, now check the manual and install the controller as it is supposed to be, far from high voltage cables, and with no high voltaje cables running over the main controller wires.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssilencer View Post
    Ok, now check the manual and install the controller as it is supposed to be, far from high voltage cables, and with no high voltaje cables running over the main controller wires.

this was wired to the T I looked at it A LOT

Admin
    I wonder what the point of having the two red wires is?? They both go to the same place. Be sure and check for loose wires with the power off. Check to be sure the three screws in the green connector where those two red wires go are tight.

Make sure the wire caps are on good and that the splices inside those caps are connected well. My guess would be a loose connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	billov0.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	58944  
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

I am Xtreme
    2 wires can be used to carry the load of a single larger one. if 1 wire was getting warm or hot either do as he did or get a heavier gage wire

Also solid wire is better than stranded, the smaller the strands the more resistance.

but stranded wire hase the advantage of flexability, smaller strands = wire more flexable, flexabillity is not a issue untill you have to work with 500 mcm

Xtreme Recruit
    Is there any burnt pin on the wite ic? I`d like to see a top and bottom view" picture of the power module.
    Maybe there is something wrong in the tryac or the optocoupler, those reasons wold explain the failure.