Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: plinking, dripping noises ?

Xtreme Addict
    Sure, he can contact Pazza and tell him to retune the unit for his current load

Xtreme Addict
    I don't think it is floodback. Everybody says floodback but it is probably just oil slushing around. It has been mentioned here that the oil charge is intended for larger systems than ours where more oil migrates around the pipework. I get the same noises (I suspect). It happens also when the suction line was fairly warm, and little gas in the system - so unlikely to be floodback.

Some people remove some of the oil. I just ignore the occasional gurgle.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teyber View Post
    definatly don't let it out into the atmosphere, sorry this is not much help but im sure there must be a cheap tool that would let a little out and put it somewhere, and then dispose of it PROPERLY

possibly cheap to make your own, but lennox has stinger recovery machines for $1100 CAD (average recovery units are like $1000 CAD anyway, haven't seen cheap tbh)

Well I still have this sound, I made a clip, its kinda hard to hear but you'll get the idea I think. There's a good 'plink' near the end..

The Mic is right up against the compressor here, so It's a bit exagerated but you can hear the occasional plink noise

Also I checked the compressor its pretty much hot allover, VERY hot at the top and reasonably hot a the bottom, no Ice anywhere.

http://s16.quicksharing.com/v/6147311/drip.wav.html
    Last edited by Sipha; 05-09-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Admin
    Okay - I listened to the recording. That was refrigerant dripping in the oil. I don't know if this small amount will hurt anything.
    UNDER THE ICE .com
    Phase Change Cooling

is the remedy

So I stripped about an inch of the insulation back from the suction line as suggested to combat the floodback.

Still have the noise, and now my idle and loads temps have gone up by about 2/3c

Xtreme Addict
    I had a listen. That is what my systems do. I got that noise under conditions that just could not be floodback (imo). I'm talking warm suction, evaporator 1meter below the compressor. So I ignore it and put it down to oil slushing around.

I am Xtreme
    A occasional drip will instantly boil off when it hits the hot oil. I doubt you can get it to flood unless made a extreme error in cap tube size and length or used a too large orifice in a txv,plus severely over charged the unit. You need to fill the can up to the pumps intake. There shouldn't be that much liquid in the system
    The Laws of Thermodynamics say:

Zeroth Law: "You must play the game."
    First Law: "You can't win."
    Second Law: "You can't break even."
    Third Law: "You can't quit the game."

Do you wanna Play Thermodynamics ???????? I forgot "you must"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12