Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hej has anyone of you Vmod-ed gf2 mx 400

Hej has anyone of you Vmod-ed gf2 mx 400

I coultdt find anything, the modd is too old, all the links I found were "smacked" And what: I olmost made a vmod fo geforce mx instead for my graphic card
    Last edited by blue; 09-14-2003 at 03:00 AM.
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    http://www.extremecooling.org/ec/mod...howpage&pid=39

I found this a while ago when I was "on the hunt" it doesn't seem horribly useful though, and by that I mean, I've gotten mine up to about 273core just by "piping" the ac directly into my computer, (ingoing cold air temp was 13 degrees celcus) Mind you, mine wasn't horribly stable at 273. But considering how badly the stock cooler was put on, I'm pretty sure you can do 273 without all the volt mods and bios flashings.

hope you find this at least somehat useful.

Xtreme Member
    http://users.pandora.be/deschildre/P...400%20vmod.mdb

Acces database with voltage calculator. selfmade

i ne volt mod for mx 400, se 400 nut youst mx, but thanks anyway...teus i dont get it
    AMD POWER !!!

There should be a MOSFET on your card. Solder a 100 or 120 ohm resistor to pins 1 and two (the leftmost and the middle pin sticking out.) If the MOSFET has five pins, solder it to pins 1 and 2.

[----]
    | i |
    1 2 3
    R R

[---------]
    | | | | |
    1 2 3 4 5
    R R

You could also use a 100 or 120ohm vr.

I lapped the core and memory on a chaintech PCI MX 400 and got roughly 290 core @ 80 ohms. The memory voltage is dependent on your motherboard's 3.3v rail, so if it doesn't have a jumper or BIOS option to raise it you'll have to vmod the motherboard.

Hope it helps.

Video:
    Cirrus Logic 5443 with 0.6-micron technology and hardware accelerated primitives
    2MB RAM framebuffer
    ISA Interface

XS - Extra Strong
    What kind of cooling did it take to get it to 290?
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -Geforce 7900Gt 755/1863 1.562v vgpu
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Ordinary HSF, albeit active. Also, the core is lapped; before, the back of the card was scorching hot and now it's only warm while the HS is scorching hot. Also a heatsink on the MOSFET.

I think if I pushed the voltage up a bit more I could do 300, but since I can't raise the mem above 200 it's not worth it... already going from 280 to 290 core gives me no improvement in 3dmarks...

Anything much above 300 IMHO would mandate at least a waterblock.

Video:
    Cirrus Logic 5443 with 0.6-micron technology and hardware accelerated primitives
    2MB RAM framebuffer
    ISA Interface

causticVapor how about a picture of your cooling and one of te mosfet...if possible
    AMD POWER !!!

hej viper how much 3dmarks 2001 did you get before clocking, somewhere about 2020 now you get how much
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    I have another question as well, what voltage were you giving to the core to get it to 290?

(I think i'll be able to take it up there, see attached picture below)

the voltage regulator, and what I think is another voltage regulator (the tiny thing, which gets EXTREMELY hot) didn't have heatsinks on them when I took the picture, but I just put them on today. Made a shim for the little thing out of foamcore so the heatsink doesn't get knocked off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	card labeled.jpg 
Views:	665 
Size:	180.7 KB 
ID:	16187  

Xtreme X.I.P.
    i got my g2mx400 from gainward (was a golden sample with 3.0ns sdram) to 290/290 i think, with default cooling... couldnt max it out, it died after only a few weeks (gf killed it by pulling it out of the agp slot while powered on)

WHAT IS SMIM, WHAT DID YOU USE TO COLL RESISTOR
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    sorry, my writing is a bit messy, "SMIM" is actually shim, I made a little shim out of foamcore, because that chip/resistor is just so small. I was afraid if I put a bigger heatsink on their with thermal compound, I would run the risk of tearing the chip off the board. I don't know what resistor your talking about. If its the thing I made the shim for, I just used a heatsink like the ones on the memory. (which did help, they added at least 10mhz more to the overclock on the memory, before them I couldn't pass 203, after them I didn't have much trouble taking it to 218, but that thing I put the shim on was causing trouble, which is why i couldn't go much past 218)
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

Now I also modded my GF, but im not happy with da results!
    My naibghor gets better score than me, but he doesnt have v
    v-mod! I tested my results in 3Dmar2001 ind I got somewhere near 2700. My naibghor got 2900! We both dont have any architectual mistakes, maybe a couple at that stupit horse test (think its pixel shader). Da key to his sucsess is ram. He can take it to 380. I can`t eaven dream about 340! Why is that?? What can I do! My cooling is somewhat near yours, but I dont cool my resistor and mosfet! Is that important! Couple days ago I skipped to Riva Tuner and I also noticed LOW LEVEL SYSTEM TWEAKS. Do you clock withe those too??? What must be the relationship beetwen low sys tweaks and sys tweaks! Oh, i alost forgot I used 120 oms resistor, I will try with 100 and 80 one time.
    AMD POWER !!!

I knew I will forgot something: Im still using dx 9.1 what diference would it be if I hat 9.0 or 9.0b! Would there be a noticeful diference??? Im asking that beacuse gf2 does not fully support dx 9!!
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    uh, well, I did get the card repaired, and back in action. Give me about a month before i try the voltmod, cause I JUST got my motherboard back from abit and am still getting things setup. I did find cooling the resistor and mosfet pretty useful, gave me about 20mhz on the core and ram. Havn't tried rivatuner yet. I'm going to keep working on this system and the card, going to try for #1 geforcemx400 First I gotta get this silly 2.4c past 250mhz fsb....

as for dx9, I really have no clue. I'm not as heavy into benching as alot of the people around here are. I just don't have the money or the freedom to reformat all the time just to test little things like dx9
    Last edited by lalPOOO; 09-27-2003 at 09:18 AM.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

XS - Extra Strong
    I'll try and take updated pictures of it this weekend so you can see how I did the resistor and mosfet cooling.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

mosfet cooling gave you 20 of ram and 20 mhz of cpu??? i dont buy that??? it yous doesnt seems real! i`ll try it my self!
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    well, I'm almost 100% positive the resistor was overheating, because I could feel it burning my fingers. I think it had something to do with the extra current being drawn through it or something, because higher clocks made it much much hotter. It still gets pretty hot, even with the heatsink on there! atm, the card runs stable at 265-270'ish on the core, and around 435 on the ram. Generally I find anything over those numbers is sometimes ok for a quick bench, but is somewhat unstable (when ambient temps are around 20)
    I'm not really sure whats holding me back, so I'm just waiting for it to get a bit cooler up here, and then hopefully I'll be able to isolate the problem.

Oh, the heatsink on the mosfet probably isn't crucial, I did notice it was getting a little bit hot, so I just put one of the heatsinks on it.

Still can't get this stupid 2.4c over 250mhz fsb, doesn't matter what I do, 5:4, 1:1, 3:2, the thing just gives me a nice big long alarm beep. This is with 1 gig of ocz pc4000, which I thought used the hynix chips... O well.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lalPOOO
    [I'm not really sure whats holding me back

Ya crzy! Whats holdn you back, i can only dream of ram frequency like that!!! My ram is unstable already at 330??? Well its true that I heva an Intel Motherboard, thats why i cant overclock my cpu! When I was buying my P4 i said to my salf why overclocing?? And look at me now, Im searcing for a cheap dual CPU motherboard maybe fo doal baron 2500+? Oh yeah my resistor isnt hot at all. Now I`m going to tray with 80Ohms resistor!!We`ll se the diference! What drivers do you use???
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    well, that is with the doubling effect, so I guess I can only get to about 222 on the ram, but its displayed as double in coolbits, so I don't bother to convert back. I really havn't 3dmarked too much yet though, cause I want to get over 250mhz fsb at least, otherwise having the pc4000 is kind of a huge waste because of the timings. So I don't really know what drivers are best for the card. From what I've heard it'd be the 30's though, but I personally wouldn't bother to move back to them just for more points.

Overal I'd say I deffinitly got a pretty good card (as far as m400's go ) As it seems to clock pretty well. I do get slight artifacting at the higher clocks though, like in smoke and stuff. Its like a square pattern with the top right and bottom left corners missing. I could really care less though as its never caused me any trouble in games or anything.
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

my ram is at 286 at the beginning! and i have the 64mb sdr card. . but i dont get the results i want! my naighbor beats me without vmod?? I dont get it why?? Laploo do you clock from settings toolbar?? All of ya: Give me an advice how to give a bigger clock to ram!!!
    AMD POWER !!!

XS - Extra Strong
    Uh yea, I also have a 64mb version. I usually just use the coolbits reg tweak. I did use powertools a while back, but only because the coolbits wasn't working or somthing. Maybe your neighboors computers better?

Oh, I did get this 2.4 overclocked. Doesn't want to go into windows past 300fsb, but I havn't really messed around with that too much. Its pretty stable at 285-295. Found some resistors for the voltmod, got an 80, 100, and a 120, so i'll probably the 120 first, and then move to the 100 and 80, just to make sure I'm not giving the core more voltage then is nessacary.

For the ram, one of the things I noticed was that that resistor was getting extremly hot, and by that I mean it was burning hot. So after I put a heatsink on their and the ram I got a bit more out of the card. My ram was at 175mzh stock i think... I dunno, it could also be a burn in effect, but I wouldn't spend hours trying to burn the card in, because I doubt it'll make a big difference.

Hopefully I'll hit 4k tonight on 2k1. Then I'm just another 1000 or so off #1
    -Phenom2 x6 1055 @stock
    -8gb ddr3
    -Gigabyte UD3
    -OCZ Powersupply 600w

wait! you also modded rams voltage??? how did you do that ??? i only vmoded the GPU! oh yeah the 120 ohms resistor in my apinion is enugh. today im also trying the 100 and 90 ohms resistor. my naibgor has the same configuration as me..
    coud you mail me the procedure of v-modding ram tomy mail
    AMD POWER !!!

I`still didnt recive anything. Did you actually send anything?? I think it would be better if you published ram vmod on this forumany progress?? Now im using a 80 ohms resistor for gpu. Stabile at 270, and still not overheating.
    AMD POWER !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast