Thread: 172w Pelts

Ritalin Junkie
    its, well, um, good.
    yeah...

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by dmitriyaz
    its, well, um, good.
    yeah...
    lol.. oh thats really reasuring... well one thing is for sure.. im not paying 120+ for the ehiem or whatever its called
    | Intel i7 3770K | Custom H2O | Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | 16GB Samsung | GTX680 | 240g Mushkin Deluxe |

-METALLICA-

Xtreme Member
    Well i got it for 70 yesterday!
    Closing sale...pretty fortunate.

Mac
    Problems with your OCZ product? Feel free to PM or email me here

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by mackanz
    Well i got it for 70 yesterday!
    Closing sale...pretty fortunate.

Mac
    but still for 350 gph? thats what mine is now..
    | Intel i7 3770K | Custom H2O | Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | 16GB Samsung | GTX680 | 240g Mushkin Deluxe |

-METALLICA-

Ritalin Junkie
    hehe....
    Via pumps are OK,
    what can you expect from a pump?
    pretty much all of that Via pumps have.
    keep in mind though, they are submersible, so you can't use them in-line.
    for in-line, i'd say go with ViaAqua.
    they are cheap as sh|t too.

Xtreme Member
    Well, i had to take what i could and this pump is recommended all over so it canĀ“t be that bad.
    And you dont have to use it submersed either...and it is dead quiet.

Mac
    Problems with your OCZ product? Feel free to PM or email me here

Xtreme Member
    Dmi, not sure who actually makes the 226w peltier. Tedist only deals with kryotherm modules, which is where I got the spec sheets for my 156w and 172w beasties. Might want to check with one of the distributers to see if they can't tell you.

Hero, those are some mighty fine cpu temps already, but you can get those water temps down to closer to 30c easy, and pick up a big improvement. Waterblocks benefit from higher flow but radiators usually like less flow. With that said, mixing tube sizes (including pumps and rads) inside a watercooling system has bad results. I use eheim 1250 pumps with 1/2" tubing. I got new adapters for the pump itself so its completely inline with 1/2" id. Rio pumps are okay, and you can actually convert them to run inline mode. Many people like Danner-Mag pumps. Nothing beats the quiet and reliability of the Eheims though, but your gonna pay premium for them. $70 ish for the 1250 at like dangerden or petwarehouse.

Dmi, heatercores and radiators are basically the same thing, and they all restrict flow to one degree or another.

Xtreme Member
    yeah i have a mag-drive danner pump right now... its leaking like crazy

-METALLICA-

Xtreme Member
    Yeah I hear about those problems all the time. They are mostly designed for submersed usage. I hear you can use a special nylon seal (mcmaster.com should sell them) that helps improve the friction on the impeller fittings and stops the leaks. I dont own one of these drives so dont know.

I will only use eheims.

Xtreme Member
    i tried to seal the whole pump up but the water would just find its way through

i just think ehiems arent powerful enough

-METALLICA-

Xtreme Member
    Well what kind of power do you need? For a bong, no probably not. But for a case with less than 4' lift height and 1/2" tubing, the 380GPH is more than adequate. I have resevoirs bolted right on to the front of the Eheim with 3/4" fittings for a 0-head input feed, and my 1250 is strong enough to move water through the peltier block and 4 black ice extreme radiators.

Xtreme Member
    btw.. just so you know a 175w pelt will be fine for an amd chip.. i ran a 156w for some time.. worked fine

i upped vcore

-METALLICA-

Ritalin Junkie
    Originally posted by Player0
    Dmi, heatercores and radiators are basically the same thing, and they all restrict flow to one degree or another.
    not exactly.
    heater cores are a type of radiators, yes,
    but regular rad is just a pipe with fins around it,
    and in heater core, water first goes to the tank,
    than from the tank, there are many tiny pipes coming out, they are usually not round, but kind ot flat. for increased surface area. the fins in the heater core are touching those little pipes. then the water goes to the 2nd tank, and from there to the barb etc.

Xtreme Member
    Hero, I had much different results with the 156w on my CPU. This was running at 12v however. My temperatures were better without the pelt above 1500mhz. But again, at 12v. At 15v, the story may have been different.

Im actually going to hook the 226w pelt up on to the Antec 550w, and give that a go. If someday, god willing, I find out how to mod the Antec PSU, I will crank it to 13v on the 12v line to give my pelt a little more juice. I just hope the pelt at 19ish amps leaves enough current left over for the rest of my PC. I will be moving my fans over to the 24v PSU, so that should help.

Dmi, a heater core is simply a radiator that was designed for the specific purpose of heating the interior of a car. The design of these types of radiators are usually built to be 1.) compact in size and 2.) fan/duct friendly. Both reasons why they make excellent rads for watercooling. However, that fact alone doesn't mean that heater-cores are designed to be less restrictive. That usually depends on a model by model basis.

I was simply commenting on your "heater cores don't usually restict flow" which isn't exactly true. Everything restricts and reduces flowrate in a system because of friction. Radiators with long passes work better, but create more friction. Some radiators have built in resevoirs which helps balance pressure between rad tubes and slows the flow down a little.

The more restrictive a radiator is, the better job it probably does in cooling. Of course, slowing the water down in the waterblock has the opposite effect. That is why you want your flow rate to be not to fast and not to slow. Somewhere in the middle usually works the best for the waterblocks and radiators equally.
    Last edited by Player0; 07-17-2002 at 01:08 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123