Thread: 120W Pelt connected to comp PSU

Xtreme Member

120W Pelt connected to comp PSU

if i run a 120 watt tec, can i connect it direct to my comp psu, or do i need a meanwell? i've got a 600W enermax noisetaker running the stuff in my sig.
    retired AMD64 Opteron 170 Toledo CCBBE 0615EPMW 3.1GHz 1.52V with removed IHS
    Intel Q9650 L827A 4.2GHz (467*9) 1.288v
    G.Skill 8GB F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe BIOS V1406
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 512MB
    3x Western Digital 640GB Black RAID 0+5
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer
    Swiftech H2O-220 Compact 35C/58C
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro1000 RS-A00-EMBA 1000W
    Dell 2405FPW 24" WUXGA
    Antec Twelve Hundred
    Heatware iTrader eBay

Xtreme Member
    it depends on how many ampers the psu can pump in the 12v line. it must be constant current, many fabricants only show peak current. and the psu must be able to pump the requiered ampers on 1 line

Xtreme Cruncher
    easy answer is no!! you try it you will more and likely fry the psu and maybe even catch your rig on fire!!

What voltage is the TEC?

And what are you going to cool with it?

If its a 12v pelt then it should work.

BUT!!!
    Personally I think its much safer to use a dedicated PSU. Also voltage drop on the 12v line might affect your overclock.

If your just playing about and the pelt is rated to 12v or more then you will be ok plugging it into the 12v line on the PSU.... BUT dont use a molex as you might melt the plug with the ampage .. which might then short out and kill something. Best to solder direct or use some high ampage rated plugs.

Xtreme Member
    It works as long as your PSU has enough amps atthe voltage you need. The problem is that most PSUs do NOT have this kind of amperage. Since your "noly" using a 120watt, and you have a relatively strong 600watt'er, it is _possible_ that it may work, but this is dependant on how strong your 12volt rails are. You MUST check this before considernig trying to use it on your PSU, or else very bad things will happen...

But yes, it is plausible to do. With stronger peltiers like 200+ watts rating, it is allmost impossible to do with a computer-PSU.

-BAA