Thread: e6700 can't see 2nd core

e6700 can't see 2nd core

My e6700 shows up as only having one core in windows task manager (and YES i've checked the options), but what's more, other programs like CPU-Z and CoreTemp show the same thing. I've reinstalled WinXP, tried XPPro, XP64, tried Win2K, looked through the bios of my P5B Deluxe/Wifi to see if I somehow disabled the second core (there's no option to do this)... Still nothing! Anybody have any suggestions?

Look at this...

Wow you only have half a CPU working there.I can't imagine it would work if one core was burnt or missing.You might try someone elses pc to see if it's the board or the CPU.If it's the CPU then it's RMA time.
    edit: Try to Clear (reset) the BIOS with the jumper.Then restart it and look to see if changed.
    Last edited by Warpcore; 09-02-2006 at 12:28 AM.
    Asus X48 DDR2 Rampage Formula
    Core 2 Extreme qx9650 @ 4.00 Ghz
    Water Cooled with Apogee GTZ
    EVGA 295 GTX,Koolance water block
    4GB Corsair Twin 2X4096-8500C5DF
    2 x 100 GB Raid 0 / OCZ-Vertex (LE)
    Areca 1880ix RAID Host Adapter
    Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU
    Dell 2405 LCD Flat Panel Monitor
    Win7 x64/SP1

And we thought, that one core Conroe-Celeron was supposed to come later :P Maybe you got Core 2 Solo by mistake
    Xeon E5 2697 V2, Asus P9X79 Deluxe, 4x 8 GB LoVo 1600Mhz 9-9-9 RAM, GTX 680

go to device manager >computer>should be acpi something at least right click on it choose update driver> click on install from a list>click on don't search i will choose the driver to install and click on acpi multiprocessor pc
    C2D 6600 2.4 @ 3.6 stock cooler
    Asus P5k Premium
    4870 512
    Auzentech Forte 7.1
    750 Gb WD7500AKS
    320 GB 7200.10
    CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850
    Dell 2407
    Logitech G9

What's weird is that it's performing as a dual core should (I think?)... 7376 3DMarks is more than I got on my previous system. I'll try resetting the bios like you suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tranzmit
    go to device manager >computer>should be acpi something at least right click on it choose update driver> click on install from a list>click on don't search i will choose the driver to install and click on acpi multiprocessor pc
    When I "choose" the driver to install, the only two items in the list of drivers are:

"Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"
    and
    "Standard PC"

But interestingly enough, under "Processors" in the Device Manager, it shows two e6700's.

You probably installed XP w/ ACPI turned off in the BIOS or w/ a different CPU (single core) causing XP to install the single CPU HAL. AFAIK you can switch the HAL from multi- to single CPU but not vice versa. Only way is to reinstall Windows..

Quote Originally Posted by Grendel66
    You probably installed XP w/ ACPI turned off in the BIOS or w/ a different CPU (single core) causing XP to install the single CPU HAL. AFAIK you can switch the HAL from multi- to single CPU but not vice versa. Only way is to reinstall Windows..
    I'll double check my ACPI settings in the BIOS and reinstall if necessary. Take a look at this - May be related, but maybe not. It's funky though.

In the BIOS, I'm running 350mhz fsb with 10 multiplier. Coretemp accurately reflects my bios settings. Cpu-Z says my multiplier is 6. The intel utility says my bus is running at 1017 mhz and my cpu at 2.54 ghz (both numbers are below what the chip is rated for!).... Weird.

Xtreme Member
    to be 100% sure - just in beginning, when windows install asks to press F6, if needed, press F5 and when prompted, choose "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Did you reinstall Windows when you installed that chip? My guess is that it's not running an "ACPI Multiprocessor" kernel.

Xtreme Addict
    1.36 has processor selection greyed out for everyone BTW
    Mpower Max | 4770k | H100 | 16gb Sammy 30nm 1866 | GTX780 SC | Xonar Essence Stx | BIC DV62si | ATH AD700 | 550d | AX850 | VG24QE | 840pro 256gb | 640black | 2tb | CherryReds | m60 | Func1030 |
    HEAT

Yes, this is a fresh installation of Windows. This is a brand spanking new PC. I even formatted and reinstalled after my original post. ACPI is enabled in the bios.

Tomorrow I'll try installing Vista RC1 on it, see if that makes any difference.

when you go to device manager and click on computer it should be showing acpi multiprocessor pc and if it's not thaen thats the problem. I know as i work in it but even i had issues with it not showing as dual core in windows so i looked in there and it wasn't showing up as multiprocessor. It should at least be acpi as if it's not you would have to do a fresh install. There's ways to hack out and change the "hal" but they're not for the faint hearted.
    C2D 6600 2.4 @ 3.6 stock cooler
    Asus P5k Premium
    4870 512
    Auzentech Forte 7.1
    750 Gb WD7500AKS
    320 GB 7200.10
    CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850
    Dell 2407
    Logitech G9

I am Xtreme
    ok first of all what motherboard are we talking about here.
    and i would suggest you reflash the bios with the latest version.. no matter if you just did it last night reflash it and then reset it properly

make sure you go into the bios and turn off all the cpu throttling crap.
    i see a 6x multi ther ein one cpu-z shot.. so make sure its all turned off.

then reinstall windows make sure you have windows XP-SP2. it shouldnt matter but try to have an SP2 version anyways.

this is odd.. very odd....

sounds to me like the cpu has 1 core disabled from the factory and you need to contact whomever you got it from and rma it or call intel and rma it.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback