Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operation Shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    The Climate apps are very worthwhile IMO.
    Nice to see you over here..
    i think he meant was that by shutting down his boxes he was saving the enviroment.!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by melymel2789
    My last question concerning it is whats the stance on the 5.5.0 opti clients for WCG BOINC, do the top teams use it?

I'll most likely give WCG a go once I break into the top 100 in riesel Sieve and when we have succesfully held onto 1st in D2OL.
    It doesn't seem to matter there.. my 5.5 p3 800 gets about as much as a friend's p3 866 running wcg client instead of boinc. Funny thing is... its getting about 2x the points it got in rosetta. it was about 200 rac for rosy... gotten over 400 per result in wcg so far. Each result is running about 24 hrs.. so double the 5.5 optimized credits.
    Last edited by Hymay; 08-22-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My last question concerning it is whats the stance on the 5.5.0 opti clients for WCG BOINC, do the top teams use it?

I'll most likely give WCG a go once I break into the top 100 in riesel Sieve and when we have succesfully held onto 1st in D2OL.
    WGN does not use Boinc benchmark at all. So they do not care. The software runs it's own internal benchmarking system. And quite a complicated one it seams. More info here
    Dual Clovertown @ 3.2 GHz (stock Vcore), 4x1GB 667 FB-DIMMS, SM X7DAE, Silencer 610 PSU, Windows server 2K3 EE.
    (professionally built & generously hosted by movieman)

AMD64 X2 4400+ @237x11 (1.39v), Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL @2.5-3-2-6-1T (2.75V), MSI K8N Neo4, Tagan 420W PSU, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by meshmesh
    WGN does not use Boinc benchmark at all. So they do not care. The software runs it's own internal benchmarking system. And quite a complicated one it seams. More info here
    That benchmarking system applies only to the WCG UD Agent.

Boinc uses normal benchmarking - the higher the benchmark (Whetstone/Dhrystone), the more credit claimed - however because WCG runs a quorum system, actual credit granted is the middle claim of 3 results, the credits are then multiplied by 7 to give WCG points.
    DC Prostitute - Crunching In Memory of My Dad

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Adywebb
    That benchmarking system applies only to the WCG UD Agent.

Boinc uses normal benchmarking - the higher the benchmark (Whetstone/Dhrystone), the more credit claimed - however because WCG runs a quorum system, actual credit granted is the middle claim of 3 results, the credits are then multiplied by 7 to give WCG points.
    Damn it I hate quorums, that just ruined the project for me . Are there any plans for them to change the credit system or is no one bothered by it as is?

P.S. cheers for answering these questions for me.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Damn it I hate quorums, that just ruined the project for me . Are there any plans for them to change the credit system or is no one bothered by it as is?

No problem

The quorum system is actually there to check the validity of the results, if one of the 3 doesn't come up with the same as the other 2, or fails to be returned etc (there is a 7 day deadline) - then another is sent out to cross-check.

This was only reduced to 3 from 4 relatively recently - reducing it to 2 is being looked into at the moment - whether it will ever be reduced to one like Rosetta, I wouldn't like to guess.
    DC Prostitute - Crunching In Memory of My Dad

Xtreme Cruncher

But you see, not all projects are insensitive to errors like R@H. Some do need validation and a single error will be trouble (SIMAP is a good example). I think they do 4 at the moment. Errors there would deadly.
    Dual Clovertown @ 3.2 GHz (stock Vcore), 4x1GB 667 FB-DIMMS, SM X7DAE, Silencer 610 PSU, Windows server 2K3 EE.
    (professionally built & generously hosted by movieman)

AMD64 X2 4400+ @237x11 (1.39v), Corsair TwinX2048-3500LL @2.5-3-2-6-1T (2.75V), MSI K8N Neo4, Tagan 420W PSU, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco
    Haltech,

No offense , i'm on your side.
    But you're still running R@H? 553 points yesterday , today 579 points.
    I don't get it .
    I cant stop that one... Laptop somewhere in Iraq

Xtreme Bandwith Whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    Has your heart restarted yet from seeing some of us agree with you?
    I've got the same damned temperament as you do. I don't like being kicked in the teeth and then being told to like it.
    Our differences are in how we each verbalize our same feeling.
    You come out and hit it with a 10 pound sledgehammer and I'm a little bit milder than that in what I write but we are on the same page here and the thoughts that run through both our minds on this have the same 4 letter words in them. I just don't write them.
    My priorities and in order:
    1) What is best for the team as a whole even if it's not whats best for me personally.
    2)Solve this issue with Dr.Baker in any way I can.
    3)Let the team know how I feel.
    4) While this is being settled to go and help some of the other teams in worthwhile DC apps whether it's a day,week, or forever.
    That part is all up to Dr. Baker.
    Not a problem. I just wanted to be sure you knew what i was thinking

100% Load 24/7
    Is there a XS team for WCG? Thinking about running it and just curious if anyone has set up a team.

EDIT: Found it. Just started WCG and joined up. Looks like now there are only two of us currently running. Looks like we need some
    Last edited by [XC] 4X4N; 08-22-2006 at 07:32 PM.
    Main Rig
    i7 2600k l Asus P8P67 l 2x2gb Gskill l GTS450 l Venomous X l XClio 680

Quote Originally Posted by DDTUNG
    WF looks like I'll be joining you soon.

But why D2OL?

DDTUNG
    Putting ddtung's rosetta farm on idle. Is a team effort in itself.

XSDCMF

silence of the fans

I have two machines doing QMC, one with the R_Dogs, one under DCManiak.
    I also have one machine running Rosey w a seven day queue and the Cat 5 cable to it laying on the floor. That's it.
    Damn near a total shutdown.

The quiet around here is very disconcerting, after years of fans running 24/7.
    Crunching to Crush Cancer
    Somebody, Stop Me!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by serlv
    I have two machines doing QMC, one with the R_Dogs, one under DCManiak.
    I also have one machine running Rosey w a seven day queue and the Cat 5 cable to it laying on the floor. That's it.
    Damn near a total shutdown.

The quiet around here is very disconcerting, after years of fans running 24/7.
    You deserve a short rest my friend and knowing what it cost to run all those machines in the middle of a dessert I imagine your wallet will appreciate the quiet also. Don't worry, we won't let you rest for too long!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by serlv
    ... after years of fans running 24/7.
    Well, maybe it's time to go watercooling?

On a sidenote, Scott, you (DC)maniak, i saw you did 0 in R@H in the last free-dc update!@#!@ I'm running after forgotten rigs all day long and i still get 100-200 every update :-(
    2x Harpers 5492, 8GB DDR2-800 FBDIMM, SuperMicro X7DWA-N, Raptors in Raid0, 1TB Storage, Dual Watercooling loop, U2UFO, Enermax 1000W
    Some nice LianLi case, i7 965 Extreme, FoxConn BloodRage, 3x2GB OCZ Blade 2000, Zotac GTX260, Enermax 700W

XSDCMF
    Howzat? Ya put em under a canopy in the yard and turn the sprinkler on?

The other thing; well they should all be zero henceforth, til this is ( if it ever is ) resolved.

Friggin sad the way they cAnnot seem to communicate...
    Last edited by [XC] serlv; 08-23-2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hi everyone I haven't had time to read everything that's going on.
    So if my old friend DCManiak thinks we should leave Rosetta I will do the same. I am away for the next ten days but will be taking my laptop with me I will try and get on the Internet to see what is going on. The wife is shouting at me got to go see you
    Rob

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by A novice
    The wife is shouting at me ...
    Welcome to the club
    2x Harpers 5492, 8GB DDR2-800 FBDIMM, SuperMicro X7DWA-N, Raptors in Raid0, 1TB Storage, Dual Watercooling loop, U2UFO, Enermax 1000W
    Some nice LianLi case, i7 965 Extreme, FoxConn BloodRage, 3x2GB OCZ Blade 2000, Zotac GTX260, Enermax 700W

ok im with u guys rosey goes off today wcg comes online..
    My father has been riddled with diferent flavors of cancer for as long as I can remember, surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation has kept the old timer kicking, so I feel I owe it to atleast him and probably a few million ppl around the world to focus my attention there..

I started it before but was having a problem with work and having it setup in my siggy.. Any help with WCG would be awesome..
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Guru
    once my rosetta WU's are completed i'll be moving all power to wcg/qmc
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

XSDCMF
    Quote Originally Posted by A novice
    Hi everyone I haven't had time to read everything that's going on.
    So if my old friend DCManiak thinks we should leave Rosetta I will do the same.

Hi, Rob. I never really wanted to leave Rosetta. I loved the science and I used to like the communication with the project leaders. But a lot has transpired. I am doing it with mixed feelings but want to support the team and my fellow crunchers. I sure hope we figger out what feck we're doing. I would hate for this crunching force to disintegrate into 20 different factions.
    We were unified and driven, I'd like to see that again. Personally, my life has been touched in a most deep way by cancer; it was what caused me to start crunching about 5 years ago. I sure as hell hope that our main project is involved in medicine. That is what drives me ( and a minor competitive streak ).

I hope you enjoy your trip, Rob!

Scott

PS
    I just flushed about 170 finished Rosey WUs when I detached from Rosey, on this machine. Talk about ambivalence.
    Last edited by [XC] serlv; 08-24-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Somebody, Stop Me!

Cancer is my driving force also thats why I chose WCG..
    Plus I have a bro in law dying from aids so id also like to feel im in some way contributing to the demise of future deaths from this disease as well.
    Join the XS WCG team and do your part to help save the world..
    ^^^Click here to start folding for the soon to be number one team in the world..^^^

Main rig: Gigabyte DS3/6300@3.2 7950 GX2/Server:Expert/165@2.9/PCI vid/Wifes:ASrock Dual SATA2/3800@2.4/X800XTAIW/Kids:165@2.7/X850XTPE

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
    -Emo Philips

Xtreme Guru
    i think a lot of people here have some sort of desire to help with the fight against cancer, which is probably why we are so heavily migrating from rosetta to WCG.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sorry have been just swamped with work. Got my last system pulled last night and moved over to WCG.

And here I was hoping to catch you guys Well I did break 20k..
    Once known as GibbonThree

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12