Quote Originally Posted by Entropy1982
    Ok... newbie alert

I want to ziptie the fan onto the heatsink of my BFG 7800GTX OC
    Do i have the right idea?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...82/topdown.gif
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...y1982/side.gif

I know i know.... i'm sorry
    ROFL @ UR PICS

all i did was use two cuz one wasnt long enough...so loop one zip tie through the other zip tip so now its 2x as long! if you cant picture it, then picture a belt...use the end of one belt to connect it to the buckle of the other belt..

now that its long enough, just do a complete wraparound, rather than try to fit it through the holes

if two looped through eachother isnt long enough, go three, or four...etc

Quote Originally Posted by chinkgai
    ROFL @ UR PICS

all i did was use two cuz one wasnt long enough...so loop one zip tie through the other zip tip so now its 2x as long! if you cant picture it, then picture a belt...use the end of one belt to connect it to the buckle of the other belt..

now that its long enough, just do a complete wraparound, rather than try to fit it through the holes

if two looped through eachother isnt long enough, go three, or four...etc
    haha... what about the spacers... i saw someone put em on... do i need spacers?

Can I use Zalman VF-700 for cooling GF 7800GT. Will it be compatible?
    Asus P5B Deluxe | Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 | 2x1Gb Geil Ultra 800
    7800GT @ 550/1300 | Iiyama ProLite E481S
    Audigy 2 @ 4 stuff | Altec Lansing MX 5021

Laing DDC-1T | Cooltek Maxistream + 3x120mm @ 5v | PowerX | Abadon Pro | Cube DFI Pro

Xtreme Member
    I did the exact same mod on my 7800, upped my clocks around 10mhz on the core / 20mhz on the ram (Dual 80mm fans double stick taped together hovering over the gpu hsf / ram). Gave me a decent drop in temps. That shouldn't compare to a VF700 though .
    Core i5 2500K - 8GB Corsair Vengeance, ASUS P8Z68-V, Sapphire 5830, Antec 550w

[XC] gomeler
    Cars are meant to be driven and then painstakingly cleaned and maintained.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy1982
    haha... what about the spacers... i saw someone put em on... do i need spacers?
    you could, but you dont have to...experiment

Hi, im getting a 7800 ultra when they come out.. for my new pc. Anyway this seems like the coolest mod i've ever seen lol.

So hopefully a 7800 ultra doesn't look too driffrent from this and I can just strap a 80mm fan on there...

but what cfm would you recomend? is 20 enough? or shoud I get a more powerfull fan that does around 30-35 and also.. is it a good idea to put these on a fan controler?

also has anyone tried having the fan at like a 45 degree angle? to like pull air from the pci slots, or vica versa?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Horrigan
    Hi, im getting a 7800 ultra when they come out.. for my new pc. Anyway this seems like the coolest mod i've ever seen lol.

So hopefully a 7800 ultra doesn't look too driffrent from this and I can just strap a 80mm fan on there...

but what cfm would you recomend? is 20 enough? or shoud I get a more powerfull fan that does around 30-35 and also.. is it a good idea to put these on a fan controler?

also has anyone tried having the fan at like a 45 degree angle? to like pull air from the pci slots, or vica versa?

thanks
    lets not get out of hand now :P

Xtreme Member
    I see a lot of reports of temperature drops but not many reports of better overclocking with 7800GT. Is the 7800GT core the same as the 6800GT in that it's designed to run pretty hot? I water cooled my old 6800GT and got nothing out of it. I'm not going to bother with this mod if it won't increase the overclock.
    BIOSTAR TP67B+ | RPP 750W
    Core i5-2500K @ 4.7 GHz | TRUE
    256GB Samsung 840 Pro | X-Fi Titanium
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X | Sapphire HD 7950 3L

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    I see a lot of reports of temperature drops but not many reports of better overclocking with 7800GT. Is the 7800GT core the same as the 6800GT in that it's designed to run pretty hot? I water cooled my old 6800GT and got nothing out of it. I'm not going to bother with this mod if it won't increase the overclock.
    It wont increase the overclock, the card will just run cooler. To get higher clocks, you need to do a volt mod.
    Wolfdale e8400es @4.5Ghz / Ultra-120 Extreme
    2GB Ballistix @ 589Mhz 4-4-4-x @ 2.5V - SPI 32M
    *** Motherboards tested: DFI Blood Iron (current), Asus P5K3-dlx, DFI P965-S, P5B-Dlx, DFI RD600, Bad Axe 2, EVGA 680i, DS3 and P5W DH ***
    Fan modded Zippy 850W, 500GB 7200.11 and EVGA 8800GTX @678/1062

Quote Originally Posted by rick_fx
    It wont increase the overclock, the card will just run cooler. To get higher clocks, you need to do a volt mod.
    is it me or do half the people that do a volt mod mess up their card? hehe

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rick_fx
    Then I guess I will skip this mod.

Xtreme Member
    Nice mod! Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Horrigan
    Hi, im getting a 7800 ultra when they come out.. for my new pc. Anyway this seems like the coolest mod i've ever seen lol
    I believe the Ultra got cancelled. Read it on some hardware sites last week.

X.I.P
    man, u guys did a good job on 7800GTX air cooling.... i am still waiting for my mod 7800GTX back from CaTalyst.X..... it has been there for 1+ month.........

Xtreme Member
    had this mod done on my now defunct 6800GT a while back. lowered temps real nice for me. right now i have 2 80mm's in a bracket the CM Stacker provides set up to blow air down onto the 7800gt i'm waiting on. before the comments come rolling in please be kind to my MX420 that's in the pic

XEON 3075 (3.2ghz for now)
    Asus P5E
    Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 2gb (stock for now)
    HD3850 512mb (715/945 for now)
    OCZ Powerstream 520watt
    Coolermaster CM Stacker

Hey guys.... this is just an initial test with my p180 not closed and the fan blowing away from the HS. I only know my idle temp for now (48C) .... a lot higher than most of you with this mod. Should my fan be blowing AT the heatsink or AWAY from it?

Thanks

Xtreme Member
    AT the heatsink. Also, do your fan have decent flow?
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 930 @4ghz
    EVGA GTX 480
    3x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600
    PCP&C Turbo Cool 860 watt
    Win. 7
    5.5ghz Presler Validation
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    I thought since that I pay for my internet. I could download anything I want.

Quote Originally Posted by sluflyer06
    AT the heatsink. Also, do your fan have decent flow?
    it's a panaflo... the one everyone recommends

so i'm trying to run 3dmark 05 (free edition) ... it goes thruough 2 of the tests and when it opens up the third one it just says a problem occured and the program shuts down.

Also my idle temps are 59C and it was 76C after those 2 tests.

What is going on here

ps. I tried this mod... for some reason it didn't help me, no idea why

Xtreme Member
    Then I guess I will skip this mod.
    Well, I lied. Can't resist this kind of thing. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by IceMole
    Has anyone tried this on a 7800GT? Well I did tonight. After finding out I had to remove the entire heatsink to get to the 6 screws under it, I released the cover. The fins are bent over so I screwed the fan into the little notches in the fins along with some rubber spacers.
    My eVGA had bent fins as well, so while watching my Brownies suck again, I took needle-nose pliers and straightened all of the fins out. Then I attached the fan from my spare AMD cooler and let er rip. I also upped the VGPU voltage to 1.51V. I think that should be fine with this mod in place. The temps are a lot better.

The bad news? Well, eVGA attached the wires from the stock fan to the side of the plastic cover with glue. Being stupid, I pulled them off with too much force and stripped their plastic covering. Then even more stupidly, I forgot to put electric tape on the wires before trying the card with the mod. End result? The capacitor that handles the fan voltage burst into flames. LOL. The card's fine but I won't be using that fan header again. The capacitor has been vaporized. After this development, I might have to invest in a Zalman HSF just so it has some resale value in the future. This mod isn't very attractive.
    Last edited by aldamon; 10-24-2005 at 07:32 AM.

haha, try beeing more carefull next time you go ahead and mod something

for those who are carefull with their expensive hardware, this mod rocks. lower temps=
    [AMD X2 4600+@stock] [DFI NF4 SLI-DR]
    [OCZ Platinum LE 2x1GB@200mhz 2-3-2-5] [POV 7800GTX@stock]
    [Hiper Type-R 480W] [Vapochill Micro Extreme]
    [ThermalTake Armor] [Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE]

Do you guys have any tips on removing the video card? And also, where do you zip the ties again? Pictures please if you have them. Thanks Also, do you guys remove the old power plug from the stock fan?

Xtreme Member
    Well, I lied. Can't resist this kind of thing. LOL.

My eVGA had bent fins as well, so while watching my Brownies suck again, I took needle-nose pliers and straightened all of the fins out. Then I attached the fan from my spare AMD cooler and let er rip. I also upped the VGPU voltage to 1.51V. I think that should be fine with this mod in place. The temps are a lot better.

The bad news? Well, eVGA attached the wires from the stock fan to the side of the plastic cover with glue. Being stupid, I pulled them off with too much force and stripped their plastic covering. Then even more stupidly, I forgot to put electric tape on the wires before trying the card with the mod. End result? The capacitor that handles the fan voltage burst into flames. LOL. The card's fine but I won't be using that fan header again. The capacitor has been vaporized. After this development, I might have to invest in a Zalman HSF just so it has some resale value in the future. This mod isn't very attractive.
    The mod is for the GTX which has the screws for the plastic cover on the top of the card and does not require the removal of the HSF...sorry to hear about your trouble but its no fault of the mod that damaged your card.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Intel i7 930 @4ghz
    EVGA GTX 480
    3x2GB OCZ DDR3-1600
    PCP&C Turbo Cool 860 watt
    Win. 7
    5.5ghz Presler Validation
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang
    I thought since that I pay for my internet. I could download anything I want.

how do u take off the plastic cover?? I have a eVGA 7800gt 515 and its like impossible to take off. and the fan plug is relaly hard to get out too

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345