Thread: (In the middle of a build!) Fan Controller Question

Xtreme Member

Question (In the middle of a build!) Fan Controller Question

Ok first off, let me say I picked up a Cooler Master: Cool Drive 4, at 75% off, or $12.50. Pretty cool looking fan controller, WORST MANUAL EVER. After ten or fifteen minutes of tinkering, I found (with no help from the manual) that you need to plug in (at minimum) one of the four temperature sensors.

They are basically a long flat wire with a metal head, it came with a special mounting tape and you have to adhere it to the different things you would like to measure the temperature of. I got to thinking, where could I possibly mount these? Chipset? Hard Drive (Where on the drive?). I have up to four, but I need to use atleast one or the unit won't function. I could just leave it hanging, but I can't figure out if (and where) these would be most practical.

Next, the fan controller has four connections. (Fan1, Fan2, CPU and VGA.) Do I want to connect my graphics card and heatsink to this fan controller? I'd imagine I could turn it up if I'd like to, which would be nice for overclocking or down for noise control. I would be scared that anyone could turn the nob for my heatsink the wrong way and set it to a low, or off setting. Also, won't the motherboard automatically adjust the fan?

Lastly, (off subject) a WD4000YR I just picked up has both SATA Power and Legacy (12V) Power connections. I take it I can use either one?

Xtreme Member
    Need some input, waiting on this.