Thread: 12V rail

Xtreme Member

12V rail

I got a question for you guys.

I got a p4 @1.85V with a noname psu. I know this voltage is way high for the p4 and I could do with a lot less, but my motherboard doesn't allow to set voltages so I did the pinmod.

The problem now is that my 12v rail is very low @11.43V. A modification of the psu could fix this, but I'm not clear on one thing. If I up the 12V rail, will the 5V rail increase aswell? this is not necessary since it is @ 5.06 and I don't want to ยงยงยงยง it up.

anybody can help me on this, I'm new to vmodding PSU's and I don't want to rush into it, because a mistake can fry my entire pc.

Xtreme Member
    pls test your psu to see if it is capable of serving your pc or not.
    - use a digital multimeter to measure +12V line from an available yellow (unused) line. if it's also < 12V, you might need to buy a new higher watt since P4 Vcore uses a lot of amps on +12V.
    try to allocate more budget for a good psu.
    1. A7V8X, 1800+ AIUGA0241 @ 1.66Ghz @ 1.5V air-cooled, 256MB Samsung PC2700
    2. 8RDA+, 1700+ JIUHB0308 @ 2.7GHz @ 2.1V, Vapochill PE R-22), 2x256MB OCZ PC3500

Xtreme Member
    thx for the advice but I fixed this allready. I placed a pot to adjust the 12V / 5V rail. It got my stability to my overclock like it should be. I allso fixed the 3.3 to go to turbo mode with a switch 3.45 for overclocking hard on the graphics card. this works pretty sweet aswell I'm a lucky guy and have trigged an OLD psu 350watts but more than 18 months to get the max out of my system, and doing that stable
    Education, contemplation, dedication ==> salvation

Xtreme Member
    Originally posted by SektorX
    I placed a pot to adjust the 12V / 5V rail. It got my stability to my overclock like it should be. I allso fixed the 3.3 to go to turbo mode with a switch 3.45 for overclocking hard on the graphics card. this works pretty sweet aswell I'm a lucky guy and have trigged an OLD psu 350watts but more than 18 months to get the max out of my system, and doing that stable
    Hi sextorX... can you show me your work? I want to see where did you put the pot to adjust 12V / 5V inside generic PSU.

I think this is very important discovery.
    OC till 50

Xtreme Member
    well actually it's pretty easy. :-)
    I just started following the pcb traces from where the yellow (12V) wires leave the pcb. The first resistor I found I just changed with a pot, and voila 12V adjustable. the higher the resistance, the higher the Volts. for the 3.3V line I had some more problems finding the right resistor.
    I know all psu's are different and you might not be helped out with this info, but still. It might give you a startoff. I'll make some pics tonight and I'll post them by tomorrow.

Xtreme Member
    Sektor X: thanks for sharing with us with some pictures. This is very important discovery you know.... especially if you know how to increase 5V and 3.3V lines.
    OC till 50