Hi guys

I think I should state from the outset that I will probably not overclock my i7 3930K by much at all and I certainly haven't done so yet - the following temps are therefore at the default clock speed of 3.2GHz. SpeedStep is active so it obviously goes lower when possible.

I recently (in the last week) took delivery of a new system (I shalln't say who from):

Case: Fractal Design R3
M/Board: ASUS PX79Pro
CPU: i7 3930K
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue DDR3 (running at 1333MHz)
PSU: Corsair GS700 watts
GPU: 2GB MSI GTX 680
x3 SSDs and x1 HDD
Windows Home Premium 64

I suspect the case isn't quite right for the system (bigger would have been better and I may yet send the system to another builder to install it into a big case) BUT I really don't think that's the issue here. Under load the CPU is regularly going up to max temp on the last 3 cores (91C) which to me doesn't seem right. The motherboard isn't getting really hot (around 38C under load) so the case would seem to be adequate.

I've included three screenshots of RealTempGT temperatures:

1. Not under Stress 2. shortly after 3DMark Vantage test
3. during Prime95 (the RealTempGT window displayedHot at various intervals against each of cores 3, 4 and 5)

RealTemp_NoStress_230412.jpgRealTemp_After3DMarkVantage_170412.jpgRealTemp_DuringPrime95.jpg

I have had a couple of BSoDs but I was so busy scrabbling about trying to get my camera phone to take a quick pic I missed what it said! Also, one occasion (whilst I was gaming), the computer just shut off without warning. The main power-on button didn't work so I waited half an hour and flipped the PSU switch off and then on again.

I did raise my concerns with the system builder and they said don't worry about it as the system will shut down automatically if it gets too hot but I must admit that rather annoyed me. I'm concerned that the CPU is not seated correctly to ensure adequate heat dissipation and that allowing the CPU to get so hot will damage it over time and shorten its useful life. Am I being unreasonable do you think? Please be honest!

Btw, I would like to run the memory at its designated 1600MHz but I'm rather wary of doing this too in case that puts the final nail in my CPU's coffin.

Any observations or thoughts?