Quote Originally Posted by alpha754293 View Post
BeepBeep2:

Uhh...tried it with a RAMdrive. Surprisingly, it did even worse. (I don't think that I've published those results here either). Like...a LOT worse. Probably because it was a "software" drive kinda-dealio.

It would likely be different with differen RAMdisk softwares and so I only tried one. And the system that I was testing it on only had 8 GB of RAM, so I only gave it half of that.

I would also think that if I were to do this kind of test in Linux that I would end up with a different result, but I don't know if Linux will actually let me put the swap partition on a RAMdrive. *shrug* Probably, but might take some finessing with the installation bootloader in order to make it play nice with that, so I didn't spend too much time with that.

(The original intent with the system that had 128 GB of RAM was to allocate half of it as a RAMdrive/swap.)

I never actually asked if the onboard video can be overclocked. I just asked if I can overclock a LGA2011 CPU that came with onboard video. And yes, there is a difference between the two where the former is (CPU+GPU)*overclock whereas the latter is (CPU*overclock)+GPU. totalllly different things.

I thought that with some of those IGPs that they were on it's own separate bus/die or something in that you can OC the CPU indepdentent of the GPU. *shrug* (Could be wrong/mistaken again. Or that might be old news with older processors.) I don't follow the Sandy Bridge development that closely. But by another token, it doesn't really matter because the 3xxx series doesn't even have an IGP.

I was looking for onboard video since I already knew that this was going to run headless, so didn't really see the point of getting a dedicated GPU if I'm not going to use it. (Most of my other systems now also run headless.)

whoops...haha....I thought that I had answered that, but that must have been in the post that got lost because I clicked on the attachment link in the same window instead of spawning a new tab for it. my bad. No, none of my programs can really use GPUs. (One sorta can, but it's limited in size and scope of problems for now. And as far as I know, it's Tesla only (*with the fine print being it may work on consumer class GPUs, but I have no documentation for it because it's not officially supported that way).)

Regardless, I had no intention of wanting to OC the GPU (discrete or othrewise) at all.

From the screenshot that I took above, it doesn't look like that the case is closed OR that there's a side fan at all. But like I said, if you can point it out to me, that'd be much appreciated. (I must be going blind cuz I can't seem to find it as there's nothing in that picture that resumes a side fan.)

"Certainly another intake would help create positive pressure within the case."

Uhh....not necessarily. (skipping over the conservation of mass (skipping over the time derivative as well) proof.)

Nice animations. Ummm....don't think that it's quite that simplistic though...don't know if that's entirely accurate either, but ok.
That is a bit more reasonable reply.

As for the onboard video:
Also, this might be a bit of a silly question - but does anybody know if anybody's going to be coming out with a LGA2011 board that has onboard video that can also OC?
You were a bit unclear. Regardless, the onboard video and CPU would be on a different bus/multiplier

The case is closed, but there is no side fan.