Thread: Nucleoxic (800D, 120x7, 3D Vision Surround)

Threaded View

Post Nucleoxic (800D, 120x7, 3D Vision Surround)

Hi, everyone! I'd like to invite you to share this journey with me.

The project has a couple of goals:
    - to produce a durable case with a life expectancy of ~ 10 years (ie. power, cooling, and control capabilities),
    - to assemble a powerful PC that can man-handle the current state-of-the-art for PC gaming (ie. latest titles, jacked, HD, 3D Vision Surround, etc.), and
    - to deliver low sound levels (ie. will also be using this machine in a home recording studio), yet be able to drive components robustly.

My core approach will be:
    - to use best practices and suppliers, and
    - to work with fundamental, re-usable, and less price-or-technology-sensitive parts first (eg. case mods and cooling), followed by MB, CPU, RAM, SSD, and Video.

Near-term, specific objectives include:
    - modding a Corsair 800D case to accept ThermoChill TA120.4 and TA120.3 rads (will need to extend an AX1200 PSU outside the case),
    - implementing an Aquaero 5-based cooling control platform, and

... other fun junk-and-stuff that we'll hit along the way!

Notes:
    - Look for posts labelled "Work Unit - x." I will try to break down this project by major work units, providing a convenient way to reference related instructions, comments, and pictures.
    - Oh, and I don't know everything, that's for sure! Please feel free to question my assumptions, challenge the design details, or just openly dialogue with me about the project. I'm here to learn, too!

Seatbelts fastened? OK, OK, settle down, that's probably overkill, but here we go nonetheless...
    Last edited by mBrane; 05-30-2011 at 04:55 PM.