Thread: First Fatal1ty-Mainboard,LGA1155 and P67 Chip

Threaded View

Xtreme CCIE
    @Trans et al -

You can defend Wendel all you want, but the fact is that this is a stupid product. It's no better than anything else out there, but horribly overpriced. I don't blame the guy for trying to cash in on his name - Lord knows that guy is going to have no money when he's old - but purchasing this board is a bad decision and you know it.

People are not annoyed with Wendel himself, but the fact that companies are putting his sticker on things and charging an extra $50 for them. I remember when Zalman took their 7700Cu cooler and made a Fatal1ty version... and charged just under $100 for what was, previously, a $40-50 product. It's stupid price gouging is all it is. It's like if Ferrari started selling Toyota Corolla's for $90k - it's just a stupid money grab.

Also though, I will laugh at his weight. Not HIS weight, but the picture they used on the product, which is clearly from the "old days" when he was still thin. It's just funny to see a chubby guy hold a box with a picture on it of when he was thin... it's kind of like seeing a man wearing a toupee. "I've still got it!". If they had used a current representation I wouldn't laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by trans am View Post
    remember the fred savage movie the wizard? I just think about it and its rad this guy is ripping and getting flow. cmon guys. we talk crap but were all jealous.
    Actually, no. I'm not jealous at all, even if he is "ripping and getting flow" (whatever that means). I don't doubt he's a nice guy and he probably is a lot more "cool" than me, but the fat4l flaw with his lifestyle is this - he's an adult.

Being "cool" and impressing teenagers really doesn't matter as much as you age and realistically, at his age it shouldn't be a factor in his equation. The guy is going to be flat broke when he's middle-aged and have no career experience to fall back on for a job. Some gaming company may hire him for input, but those positions don't really pay that well and with no business experience or education that's seen use in over a decade, he'll be in what we employed people call a "dead end" position... he's not going to be on the fast train up the ladder. It doesn't sound so bad when you're 18 and thinking it's great to be able to move out on your own just for playing video games, but it gets increasingly sad to see as you age, and he's around that tip where it could become downright alarming.

So personally, I'll take "ripping and getting flow" when I'm 65 and retired comfortably, enjoying the savings that my lifetime of building forward salary momentum have gotten me. I may not be as "cool" as he is, but at least I won't be out in the cold.
    Last edited by Serra; 12-03-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point