Thread: Icee-"Back in the saddle again" w/ Thuban

Threaded View

Icee-"Back in the saddle again" w/ Thuban

Hi my friends

Welp, it seems after a 5 year hiatus away from the overclocking and review writing world I've finally been able to saddle up again and start testing with my old friend AMD

I've spent the last few weeks reaquainting myself with AMD, thanks to the many Phenom threads here and encouragment of many. Many thanks to FUGGER for allowing me to turn the knobs here again, and to chew* for his advice on OS's for particular benching.

I rebuilt my gaming box with an ASUS CH3 and Phenom 965BE to get a handle on the intricate details of overclocking on the new platform. Lets face it, much has changed since my days on Abit NF2+3 and my favorite, the many iterations of the DFI NF4 platform.

With needless ado, I will present an ongoing bench and overclocking fest within this thread, concentrating first on water cooling and at some point switching to a 404A charged Prometeia as most of the folks here can relate, as high end air and watercooling are the predominant cooling methods amongst the majority. Someday I'd like to elevate with our high end brothers and bench 3D utilizing LN2 once I have developed and maximized system bandwidth for the common 3D benches.

My current bench setup is as follows:

-Thuban 1090T, Phenom II 555BE
    -Asus Crosshair IV Formula, 0707 bios
    -Corsair Dominator GT "1600C6" ram 4GB, 4GB Corsair GTX2 in coming weeks
    -MrIcee custom watercooling setup w/ an old Swiftech water block; am open to suggestions for a waterblock upgrade
    -404A modded Prommy for future overclocking
    -2 Asus EAH5870 V2's currently on stock air 1002/5005 1.35v
    -Corsair HX1000 PSU
    -Asus 19" widescreen LCD
    -When the time arrives, "MrIcee", my dual block custom built -35C waterchiller for the videocards with Danger Den SLI/Crossfire Acetal/copper waterblocks. Built this back in 2002 when I was actively competing in 3DMark benching.

Enough of the formalities, I finished setting up the bench yesterday afternoon, and shot for 4Ghz out of the box with previous settings compiled from my gaming box.
    Also included is my first stab at 3DMark '06 with the initial settings.

I'm currently burning in the Thuban with OCCT today. The changes I had to make for stable burn-in, and I'll upload a pic later on, is a reduction of the CPU NB to 2600Mhz and a bump of the CPU voltage to 1.38v. Even at 1.38V, I'm cruising under full load at 29-30C I haven't tried a higher CPU NB for burn-in but merely matched the HT link in sync. More to come on that front. Thanks to everyone who comes in to read, and to the site for allowing me this opportunity again

Best regards,

Randi
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MrIcee; 05-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.