Thread: Gigabyte DS3 Fan Control

Gigabyte DS3 Fan Control

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could control my fan speeds w/ SpeedFan alone.

Currently to change my Fan speeds, I have to open Gigabyte i-Cool open SpeedFan and then change my fan speeds, but if I go into SpeedFan
    w/o i-Cool it dosen't change fan speed.

Anyone know a solution?
    INTEL C2D E6300 (Allendale) @ 3.01GHz w/ XP-120 | GIGABYTE DS3 | G.SKILL 2x1GB DDR2 800 (2GBNR) | eVGA GeForce 6800GT @ 400/1100 w/ Zalman VF-900 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Thermalright XP-120 @ 96CFM | Lian Li PC-7B | Seagate 320GB (PWT)

And i-cool seriously sucks.

Got the same problem, have you tried fiddling around with the fan control setting in the BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominus
    And i-cool seriously sucks.

Got the same problem, have you tried fiddling around with the fan control setting in the BIOS?
    yea, tried all that intel Q stuff, the PWM, the Voltage. All of that. And no Dice.

There are a few possible combinations that I haven't tried.
    INTEL C2D E6300 (Allendale) @ 3.01GHz w/ XP-120 | GIGABYTE DS3 | G.SKILL 2x1GB DDR2 800 (2GBNR) | eVGA GeForce 6800GT @ 400/1100 w/ Zalman VF-900 | OCZ PowerStream 520W | Thermalright XP-120 @ 96CFM | Lian Li PC-7B | Seagate 320GB (PWT)

I'm using Speedfan to dynamically control my DS3 fan speeds automatically. It works great. Fan speed ramps up when mobo temp hits 42 or CPU temp hits 50, and slows down when things cool down.

To allow Speedfan to control your speeds, you have to disable fan control in the BIOS. Then, in Speedfan, click Configure and go to the Advanced tab. Select the IT8712F chip, and in the list set "PWM 1 mode" and "PWM 2 mode" to "Software controlled." Click the "remember it" check box in each case to make it permanent. This will let you adjust the fan speeds from the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Dase
    I'm using Speedfan to dynamically control my DS3 fan speeds automatically. It works great. Fan speed ramps up when mobo temp hits 42 or CPU temp hits 50, and slows down when things cool down.

To allow Speedfan to control your speeds, you have to disable fan control in the BIOS. Then, in Speedfan, click Configure and go to the Advanced tab. Select the IT8712F chip, and in the list set "PWM 1 mode" and "PWM 2 mode" to "Software controlled." Click the "remember it" check box in each case to make it permanent. This will let you adjust the fan speeds from the main page.
    Wow thanks A LOT!!!

It worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dase

anything else I have to do on top of that to make the fan speed adjust like yours?

also, what are temp1/2/3 reading? I'm at 43c/38c/-1c idle right now
    Intel E6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2GHz (Scythe Ninja Plus)
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (F4)
    Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-10 (PC6400)
    ATI X1900XT 512MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ribbon
    anything else I have to do on top of that to make the fan speed adjust like yours?

also, what are temp1/2/3 reading? I'm at 43c/38c/-1c idle right now
    In Speedfan with my DS3, Temp1 is my mobo (southbridge I think) temperature. Temp2 is my CPU temperature. You can check this by running Orthos or something like that and seeing which temperature shoots up. Temp3 isn't used as far as I can tell.

For fans, Pwm1 is my CPU fan and Pwm2 is my chassis fan. You may want to verify which is which in your computer. You can check this by reducing a fan's speed on the main page and seeing which fan in your case slows down.

When you know which fan and temperature is which, do the following:

1. Follow the steps from my earlier post in this thread to get Speedfan controlling your fan speeds manually.

2. Click configure. On the Temperature tab, click Temp1. At the bottom of the dialog, set your desired and warning mobo temperatures. When the temperature hits or exceeds the desired temperatures, the fan speed increases to the maximum you allowed. When the temperature hits the Warning temperature, the fan speed increases to 100%, regardless of the maximum speed you set. Do the same for Temp2 (CPU).

3. On the Temperature tab, expand all the root-level items. The only subitems you want checked are Pwm2 under Temp1 and Pwm1 under Temp2. Clear all other sub-item checks, including those for hard drives. This tells Speedfan which fans you want controlled by which temperature probe. Basically, I have the CPU temperature control the fan on my CPU heatsink (Pwm1) and I have the mobo temperature control the exhaust fan (Pwm2) on my case.

4. On the Speeds tab, click Speed01, which is associated with Pwm1, your CPU fan. Set the minimum and maximum values you want. For example, for my CPU fan I have 60 and 90. At 60 I can't hear it, so there's not much point setting it lower than that for me. Gotta love 120mm Yate Loons. Do the same for Speed02, and make sure you also check "Automatically variated" for each one.

5. Click OK. On the main page, make sure "Automatic fan speed" is checked. At this point, Speedfan should be controlling the speeds as you configured.

Note that speedfan essentially has three automatic mode fan speeds for each fan. When it's below desired, it's at the minimum fan speed. When it's above desired, it's at the maximum fan speed you allowed. When it's above warning, it's 100% fan speed. Set your temperatures with this in mind.

This is all pretty complicated, and it was a few hours of work on my part to figure all of this out. But Speedfan is working great on my DS3 now.

thanks a lot, this rocks, I love it
    Intel E6600 2.4GHz @ 3.2GHz (Scythe Ninja Plus)
    Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (F4)
    Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-10 (PC6400)
    ATI X1900XT 512MB

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks!!

Xtreme Mentor
    I have a DQ6, i set the fan control to Auto, i tried the Intel QST option and setting my fans to PWM mode...but they made more noise and ran faster + you could hear the fans as they pulsed.

I have two Evercool 92mm 4pin PWM fans in push/pull on a Thermalright Ultra-90, fans speeds are below 1000RPM...rather quite. At full speeds these fans are noisy but push a huge amount of air.

I also own a DS3 and SpeedFan does a fine job in controlling both fans but fan speed readings are false. Speedfan reports CPU fan speeds up to 160000! Chassis fan reading is wrong too. Gigabyte Easytune 5 reports them fine.

Also, the 12v PSU wrong (2,62v) instead to 12,04 (Easytune). Anyone else have this problem ?

Xtreme Addict
    Speedfan reported an odd RPM for the Zalman VF900, but it's gets the 9500 and Forcetake Jing Ting's top speed fine. If I bring them down, it goes nuts.

Thanks Dase, this guide helped me alots

Btw, do you know how to control my VGA VF900 fan speed ? I connected the VF900 to my mobo chassis fan , but seem to be i cant control it @.@

Im using DS3 btw

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Thanks Dase, this guide helped me alots

Btw, do you know how to control my VGA VF900 fan speed ? I connected the VF900 to my mobo chassis fan , but seem to be i cant control it @.@

Im using DS3 btw
    Do you have any way I can contact you via IM?

I'm at school and I can't stay so if you can , give me your info through a PM and I'll help you once I get home in a few hours.

Pmed you , light