Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Biostar 965PT PIC's and test results

I am Xtreme
    i figured you meant crystal version. i was just drawing a total blank on what the name of it was... crystal... yes..

thanks man ill give it a try and report back
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    yeah it lets me set it to 8x or whatever but the system keeps locking if i try and use clockgen,, i can get to a little under 460 and when i open Pi even before i set the 1m run the system hardlocks.

dont have the energy to mess with it any more.

back in the box she goes.

think im gunna have to find some new ram also....
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Holy , you weren't joking...this board looks just like the DS3, and from what I read, is just as headache inducing.
    Heatware: 50-0-0
    Quote Originally Posted by Charile
    I believe that GWB, who may NOT be the best overclocking CPU in the tray...
    Quote Originally Posted by -thc-(cZ) View Post
    oh c'mon, maxxx, kick that cat of that monitor and have it poop for you

I am Xtreme
    well i'll tell ya thunder my DS3 maybe one of the few that is a real killer.

if it wasnt for the fact that it hates D9 ram, no matter what divider,, it would be the best.

im too tired to swap back to my DS3 but thats what i will be doing later after a nap.

the 965PT is the flakiest and wierdest board i've ever seen.
    but it can run 1050mhz @ 2.35v @ 5-5-5-15. but ONLY on a 2:3 divider.

gigabyte has alot of bugs to work out with the board if they want people to buy it for a clocking board. and when using the actual 965pt bios.. its worse.... the Deluxe bios helps it out a bit.. but not enough to make me keep it.
    its going back to newegg. they can do whatever they want with it.

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat

gigabyte has alot of bugs to work out with the board if they want people to buy it for a clocking board. and when using the actual 965pt bios.. its worse.... the Deluxe bios helps it out a bit.. but not enough to make me keep it.
    its going back to newegg. they can do whatever they want with it.
    you mean biostar?

Have you tried stilt's bios?

I am Xtreme
    no and i knew this conversation was going to arrise.

stock,,, and this is exactly what biostar is going to say,, is all they guarentee.
    fine thats ok.. sure yeah..
    im not happy with the product, there isnt anything physically wrong or functionally wrong,,,,, at stock... so i am returning it.
    same thing you do with something at a store,, if your not happy with the product,, if it doesnt suit your needs you return it.

i am first going to post it for sale here for the weekend. but if someone doesnt want it by monday then off to its origin it goes.

biostar isnt going to fix any of the issues.

and my killer DS3 is going up too.. along with my gskill.....

Heat Ebay Feedback

I am Xtreme
    oh yeah i forgot,, in the beginning of this thread i mentioned when i removed the NB heatsink i was literally crapping myself at the ammount of thermal grease i saw..

here it is. ther eis alot more there than the picture shows
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6X200060.JPG 
Views:	1020 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	52176  

Heat Ebay Feedback

INTEL inside
    man...stop buying "budget boards" and get yourself a P5B DX
    retired computer enthusiast

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    At least BioStar uses thermal paste, unlike the thermal "concrete" pads Asus uses, even for their 260$ boards..

The results you got were the worst I have seen so far.
    But then again most people use a 6300 or 6400 with the board.
    I have the same ram you have and I am gonna give the board a try in the near future.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

I am Xtreme
    hehehe i like that term.. thermal Concrete. lol
    yes it is nice to see thermal paste but extreme rediculous they use so much. they really need to train their people on the production line.

and yes most people have used a 6300 or 6400 but the guys with the Dlx board show very high clocks with a 6600.
    what i dont get is the whole divider/ram issue and why using the 5:4 divider absolutely kills the overclock.
    it wont even overclock to 340fsb stable. totally wacko.
    but it will boot at 440x9 O_o... wiierrrrrrrrrdddd......
    and the fact that the 2:3 divider can run the ram at 1050... even more odd ..

times like this it makes me with i had a 6300 lol..

but if they had the cpu multi option there maybe things could have been different.
    but... its all water under the bridge now..
    the board is for sale until monday at which time newegg is getting it back and im getting my money back.

and my next statement, can be argued from here to kingdom come ..

i have enjoyed my DS3 more than any other board. it has had and still has its issues.
    but i have yet to see any of the boards above this do any better than my $145 baord can without mods.
    even the Abit AW9 Pro.. i can still boot at 422x9... and go a helluva lot higher in windows.
    x8 and x7 i am ram limited. i have proven this time and time again.
    i wish i could get som eram that does work at 1000+ on this board cuz i know it could easily break 500x7 right now the baord will 1/2 post then lock.. and its locking on the ram.

so frankly im stupid for selling my DS3 but i dont care, its only hardware... i'll get more.
    but i have yet to see any unmodded board beat my DS3 by such a large margin that it warrants me buying another,,, atleast untilt he RD600 and C55XE come along..

and yes i have thought heavily about getting a P5B Dlx.. but i see no reason to not yet atleast.

Heat Ebay Feedback

THE ORIGINAL OC JEDI
    You guys ever see the "gun" of tartar sauce at McDonalds they use on the fish sandwiches?? Lol, reminds me of the guy on the assembly line at Biostar. Board, SPLAAAT!!!! Board SPLAAAT!!!! Board SPLAAAT!!!!

I am Xtreme
    i am glad you made the plunge for this PT board, Lestat...saved me the time to order, spending money and aggravation on returning it!
    Last edited by Ace-a-Rue; 10-22-2006 at 07:00 PM.
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lestat
    What kind of water solution was you using with the DS3 and the Biostar 965PT? Is it internal? If you had to buy a water solution now would you still choose the same?
    | Intel Core i7-2600K | ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 | G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | EVGA GTS 450 |
    | Swiftech APOGEE Drive II CPU Waterblock with Integrated Pump | XSPC RX360 | Swiftech MCP655-B Pump | XSPC Dual 5.25in. Bay Reservoir |
    | Thermaltake 850W PSU | NZXT SWITCH 810 | Windows 7 64-bit |

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am Xtreme
    @charlie

HAHAHAHHA man-o-man i never thought of that.. thats hilarious!!

@Ace-a-rule

don't base 1 board on the whole lot,, i maybe got a bad board.
    i find it VERY odd that its actually just a rebadged deluxe. one of the guys said its the same pcb board. oki can believe that but ther eis more too it.. its a deluxe its just crippled. remove 1 sata and program the NB to an ICH8 instead of the R version aside form that those two boards are 10000% identicle.
    i maybe got a bad one,, maybe they had a crap load of bad chipsets or bad boards come thru that didnt qualify as a Deluxe so they badged them as the 965PT.. who knows. i think its a bad Dlx given the wacky way it acted.

@msgclb

i have a cobbled together setup with very low water flow.
    1)
    swiftech apogee
    2)
    all 1/2" OD hose from Home Depot
    3)
    swiftech MCW50 on the video card
    4)
    pump from a koolance Exos. its the dual pump/res style. it doesnt have very high water flow.
    5)
    black ice extreme 2 radiator with 4 120mm fans. 2x push 2x pull.

i have a high end swiftech pump but its 1/2 OD barbs. and its got high water flow, i need to change out all my hose and barbs to make it fit and i havent had the energy to deal with it right now.

if i can get that pump on there i would see temps drop more.

its an external. rad and pump are sitting ontop of my case.

and yes i have had this same pump/res for 2 years now and i even have a spare incase this takes a crap on me. along with the high end swiftech pump.
    i have no regrets for my ghetto water,, it is way better than air and i love it.

Heat Ebay Feedback

xtreme energy
    I have a chance to test this board. Here is 3.6Ghz occt stability test. Vcore shows 1.5V in bios, 1.45 vmch, 8x450, TT BT. It came with 9/14 bios already. I will test max fsb later Cpu is week L630A448

Last edited by kiwi; 10-26-2006 at 12:07 PM.

Xtreme Member
    push it more kiwi! I got mine 2 days ago but still playing with my ds3 which came 3 days ago,lol... I am tooo lazy to try it out - if possible can you check max system speed with 1.6vcore (at least 32m stable)?

I am Xtreme
    yeah keep pushing.
    i wish gigabyte would get off their arse and fix the bios to have cpu multi's along with god knows what else, and the fixes too.

with no cpu multi,, it makes overclocking a real bear with a 6600 or higher.

Heat Ebay Feedback

what bio are you using Kiwi? stil or 914?

xtreme energy
    9/14
    I tried Stilt's modded bios but there is really no difference.

Unfortunately cpu has fsb wall at 487 on this board and 492 on p5b dlx (did 545 with another 6400). I am sure fsb would go higher on Tforce but cpu won't let me. Ofcourse extreme cooling helps to increase fsb wall by 20-50+ depending on cooling SS/DI/Ln2

Overall the board is good for the price

But as Lestat has already mentioned, you must remove and reapply chipset thermal paste
    Last edited by kiwi; 10-27-2006 at 07:00 AM.

I am Xtreme
    did yours have just as much goop on it as mine did?

i mean thats bad. that's just way too much.

its not a bad board and for $104 sheesh.. its a great deal but they have some big issues to work out on the board. big issues isn't the right word but they are issues none the less.
    including the dreaded Micron D9 issue,, the same as the DS3.

kiwi did you have any issues with your ram ? meaning did you have to really loosen it up or extra voltage ?

Heat Ebay Feedback

xtreme energy
    yep, a lot of goop, and not only on chipset but around it too

I tried only my cellschock 8000 (D9GMH or D9GKX) 1:1. They work fine at 2.2V and they are rated 1000 4-4-4-12 2.2v

What issues did you have with D9? I had some issues on ds3 but only above 505 or so. Also changing some subtimings did not change them

If I have time, I will test more RAM on this Tforce

Xtreme Member
    Another Biostar guy here.

replaced thermal paste

Intel Stock Air cooling:

hi there,im p965 deluxe user here
    my d9gkx can go up to 616fsb with 2:3 divider,stability wise i havent test..will try it soon

edited:my e6300 max up at 470fsb @ 1.34v,cant boot at 480fsb even vcore set to 1.5v,mch 1.8v,vfsb 1.5v
    Last edited by coolice; 10-29-2006 at 07:28 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I went to the Chipset Waterblock from DangerDen when I realized the SB needed help.
    Biostar T-Power I45 Motherboard
    P45AA918 BIOS
    E8600 450x9 1.35V
    Danger Den Water Cooled
    2x1Gig Super Talent PC6400 5-5-5-15
    EVGA 7800GS
    WD SATA 120GB
    Rosewill 750W

Team ID - Indonesia
    Just got Biostar 965PT yesterday, without any modification , put it with E6300, cooling with Gigabyte G-Power Pro, Kingston KHX8500D2K2/1G, PSU TAGAN 800 Watt Dual Engine and...... FSB 510 MHz from BIOS . The picture below shows some pi bench at FSB 510 MHz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123