Thread: DFI boards and what they do

Threaded View

the jedi master

DFI boards and what they do

Guys it seems some of you are a little confused by the various DFI motherboards and what they were designed to do. I will briefly try and explain here what Oskar has done so that you will all see not all boards are made to do the same things.

NF4, ultra D, SLI D. etc.

Boards tuned purely with TCCD, so much so the first sample boards had issues with Hynix and Micron not booting, they were slightly reworked but did remain TCCD monsters. If you want a good board to clock TCCX dimms this is the board to use.

NF4 eXpert

Market was moving away from TCCD, Oskar designs a board to run 2 gig kits well and 4 dimms at 1T, boards also clock 4 dimms 2t real well and are monsters with UTT, BH5 etc etc. if you like 3d benching then the eXpert will break your records.

RDX200

Same design as eXpert although ATI RD480 chipset. Board is also good with 4dimms 1T etc but is lacking bios support, this due to RD580 board development. If you are looking for reasonable Xfire then the RDX200 may suit you.

Venus

DFI decide to treat the overclockers to something a little special, High quality caps, reworked VRM's and reworked memory traces and drive give us the best of all worlds on the NF4, DDR600+ support with TCCD and 4dimm 1t capabilities. Price was high and all boards sold real fast, in all for me this was the best NF4 board ever made, Rgone from DFI believes this also.

CFX3200

Im guessing here as my board is still on its way to me. Built off the Venus platform with even further tweaks, DDR clock skew, LDT drive tweaks etc. Should be the finest 939 we have seen from Oskar, it brings together all he has learn't over the past 2 yrs into a final 939 board. It should be good with TCCD, BH5, Micron as well as 2gig and 4gig setups 1 and 2T.

Remember though the old NF4 was tuned for TCCD so you will not probably see higher clocks as the dimms will only go as fast as the dimms will go, the DFI boards have been maxing memory now for a long time...so remain level headed about what the board will do.

I hope this helps you all understand where DFI have been going over the past 2 yrs.
    Last edited by Tony; 03-29-2006 at 04:38 PM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast