Thread: DFI NF4 Ultra/SLi-D BUGS and Fixes Thread

Hybrid View

Xtreme Addict
    A thing to test for all who are using any kind of high-voltage loving memory (BH-5, BH-6, maybe also CH-5, Twinmos UTT, OCZ VX et al) - well, except maybe for the very big guys (OPP, OPB), as for them it's running fine anyway

I'd like to know how your memory behaves in memtest test #5 IF using 3.5 Vdimm or more (which, of course, is derived from the 5v rail).

What I have observed with my BH-5 kit and OCZ VX as well, as soon as I up the Vdimm to 3.5v or more in bios, and loop memtest test #5 for a few loops (10 is enough, you can see it then), memory starts showing memtest errors EXACTLY AT THE SAME MEMORY ADDRESS all the time. Usually if memory is not memtest stable, it usually throws out errors at various addresses (maybe in the same range but almost never in the same address, as one chip on the memory is failing, and it is usually the size of 64 Mb now). Moreover, this happens also (my VX is memtest stable up to 262 htt 1:1) on lower speeds, say, 255 htt. The only variable here which seems to impact these errors, is the Vdimm. As soon as I lower it, the errors disappear.

Of course, I'm actively cooling both the RAM sticks as well as the 5v Vdimm jumper area.

So I'd like to know whether your boards and memory exhibit the same "issue" - to see whether this is an isolated incident or not.

For BH-5, I was running OPB's A64Tweaker settings, for OCZ VX - also, except Tras was 10, Trc - 12, Trfc - 16. Using 02/01 beta bios.

Thanks.
    away & gone

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlobber
    A thing to test for all who are using any kind of high-voltage loving memory (BH-5, BH-6, maybe also CH-5, Twinmos UTT, OCZ VX et al) - well, except maybe for the very big guys (OPP, OPB), as for them it's running fine anyway

I'd like to know how your memory behaves in memtest test #5 IF using 3.5 Vdimm or more (which, of course, is derived from the 5v rail).

What I have observed with my BH-5 kit and OCZ VX as well, as soon as I up the Vdimm to 3.5v or more in bios, and loop memtest test #5 for a few loops (10 is enough, you can see it then), memory starts showing memtest errors EXACTLY AT THE SAME MEMORY ADDRESS all the time. Usually if memory is not memtest stable, it usually throws out errors at various addresses (maybe in the same range but almost never in the same address, as one chip on the memory is failing, and it is usually the size of 64 Mb now). Moreover, this happens also (my VX is memtest stable up to 262 htt 1:1) on lower speeds, say, 255 htt. The only variable here which seems to impact these errors, is the Vdimm. As soon as I lower it, the errors disappear.

Thanks.
    i have the same issue but with my Msi NF3 board anything over 3.4v i get errors at the same place on every pass and even lowering to 240HTT will still get the errors.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingz
    i have the same issue but with my Msi NF3 board anything over 3.4v i get errors at the same place on every pass and even lowering to 240HTT will still get the errors.
    Hmm, could those perhaps be memtest errors itself? Anybody else experiencing this?
    away & gone

Quote Originally Posted by mrlobber
    strange, when i run my mushkins bh5 @ 3.4-3.5v i had same problems @ 260-265, always errors on same adress, even when lowering the voltage, checked the ram at friend of me, and looks like its not broken. i will re-check when i get it back today, i ll have a look on which adress it fails.

also have massive usb problems, machine sometimes hangs on bios boot screen with usb plugged in and very often windows doesent recognize usb devices. yesterday changed usb cable and all went fine (usb hhd read speed was 30mb/sec . today turned machine on and no usb devices, even after rebooting / on-off swichting. just gone. i have a look at this after work

yo, my SLI-DR setup is now running, but there are a few quirks...

When I initially put everything together and installed XP, everything worked great, no issues. However, as soon as I powered down and tried to power back up, I had no video signal, and I thought maybe it is hanging before the bios screen (I had no video, so I couldn't really tell).

So I tried everything, plugging in 4 pin molex, removing RAM, replacing RAM, etc, and then in one of the tries, I thought I'd just leave it, and then video miraculously came back when XP finishes loading. Now, I have seen the bios startup screen about 3 times, other than those times, I have no video when its POSTING - but as soon as XP finishes loading, video comes on... does anyone have any idea what the issue may be :/

Im thinking its a DFI bios issue - I tried flashing the XFX 6800GT with a newer bios, and still no go. I wanna tweak this beast, but I can't see the bios! :P Thanks in advance!

System Specs:
    A64 3200+
    DFI SLI-DR
    1GB OCZ Plat EL R2
    XFX 6800GT
    580W Topower PSU
    Last edited by ominae; 02-07-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Pics of my XP-90 on the DFI Ultra-D so you guys can see for yourself and answer some of your own questions:

Antec SX 1045Bll
    OCZ 520 Adj. Powerstream PSU
    A64 4000+ San Diego @ 2.8Ghz
    XP-90 w/92mm Vantec Tornado
    DFI LanParty nF4 SLi-DR
    4x512 GSkill PC4400LE
    HTT255x11 3xHT DDR510 2.5-3-3-11 1:1
    NEC3500 16X DVD +/- RW
    BFG 7800GTX OC
    3DMark01
    My RIGS

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho303

also have massive usb problems, machine sometimes hangs on bios boot screen with usb plugged in and very often windows doesent recognize usb devices. yesterday changed usb cable and all went fine (usb hhd read speed was 30mb/sec . today turned machine on and no usb devices, even after rebooting / on-off swichting. just gone. i have a look at this after work
    This is also my biggest issue right now.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Quote Originally Posted by xgman
    lets share some machine specs. here mine :

board A00
    bios : 2005/01/25
    usb settings in bios : default, tried everything
    gfx : 8MB SiS PCI (no xpress )
    mem : mushkin 3200 level 2 bh-5 (one stick at moment)
    intel 1000 mt network card
    onboard network stuff disabled (cause boot pxe wont work for me)
    hdd-less system boot via network
    psu : 470w beqiet 24 pin psu
    ps/2 mouse & keyboard

on everybodys machine all usb stuff went fine ???

Xtreme Mentor
    lets share some machine specs. here mine :

board A00
    bios : 2005/01/25
    usb settings in bios : default, tried everything
    gfx : 8MB SiS PCI (no xpress )
    mem : mushkin 3200 level 2 bh-5 (one stick at moment)
    intel 1000 mt network card
    onboard network stuff disabled (cause boot pxe wont work for me)
    hdd-less system boot via network
    psu : 470w beqiet 24 pin psu
    ps/2 mouse & keyboard

on everybodys machine all usb stuff went fine ???
    Mine is a pre-release version board (r.pr32). my specs are in my sig, but I already sent it back for a retail release that they are overnighting me, but at least my tccd sticks worked up to 300htt on the sample board. Now I am worried that the reatail board won't work as well.
    {2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-Moto828mkIII/Marantz/Amphion Sound-HPzR30w 2nd monitor}

Xtreme Member
    Mine is a pre-release version board (r.pr32). my specs are in my sig, but I already sent it back for a retail release that they are overnighting me, but at least my tccd sticks worked up to 300htt on the sample board. Now I am worried that the reatail board won't work as well.
    Mine does
    see
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...831#post703831
    EVGA Classified, i920 @ 4200 24/7, 3 x 2GB XMS CAS7, ATI 5870 FC EK W/C , Bequiet 850W PSU, XFi Music, Vista 64 Bit, peltier-chilled water-cooling

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by uranium
    Thanks, encouraging. Give me some hope that nice my pre-release experience with tccd wasn't going to end.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by uranium
    Actually looking at your specs, they are very close to mine except I have a pcpc PS. I wonder if the FX is behaving differently than others? Which power connectors on the board are you using and what voltages on vcore and ram?

i got the thing to run ! sounds stupid , but my "anubis / typhoon" usb 2.0 hub was it ! just changed with "cytronix" 2.0 hub and no more problems, except when you turn on usb devices during power on machine it hangs, can live with this

just one problem left with VX/BH5 @ high voltages

i love this board more & more

Xtreme Member
    I posted this once to DFI-STREET.COM but Angry_Games replied like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Games
    you probably have a better chance of getting an answer from him at xtreme forums than I do lol

i cant answer because i have only had my hands on a single 939 board (the nf4 sli)
    So, I post it here too.

My friend CIMA did this amazing thing.

M/B:LANPartyUT NF4 Ultra-D
    BIOS:201
    CPU:Athlon 64 3200+ CBBID 0441MPMW
    CPU Cooling:XP-90
    Memory:TwinMOS PC3200 BH-6 256MB x2
    VGA?ATI XPERT 98 PCI 8MB
    HDD?MAXTOR 6Y80P0
    PowerSuplly?Zippy-460WS
    Vcore:1.51V / Vdimm:3.80V / Vio:3.46V

But, when he sets Trtw to 1, it maxes out at memory clock of 250 or so whatever Vdimm is.
    With other boards, like Epox EP-9NDA3+, we can reach higher memory clock with Trtw 1.
    Like this (By my friend New Beetle).

Could someone ask Oskar what's going on?
    DFI LANPARTY UT P35-T2R (2007/11/07 BIOS)
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 L724A786
    2x Team Xtreem DDR2 667MHz CL 3-3-3-8 1GB
    SILVERSTONE ST56ZF 560W Fan Removed
    ATI XPERT 98 PCI
    GIGABYTE i-RAM

Have you sorted it yet, as i'm getting hanging post screens if any usb devices are plugged in.

If i plug them in at windows, i get errors.

Tis my only problem with this board at the moment

Xtreme Member
    Portugal>Lisbon> Benfica>Next to the Stadium Of Light
    Anyone with problems with DFI Ultra-D and Plextor 716A?
    Mine doesn't get recognized(no drive letter) by windows...

Quote Originally Posted by dutchman.pt
    Is bios picking it up ?

Jumpers on the drive correctly set ?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchman.pt

Mine gets recognized, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to complete the firmware flash update. I had to move it to anotrher computer and thgen back to get it flashed. Set the jumper to master and make sure it's a new 80 pin cable.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Uk
    Have you sorted it yet, as i'm getting hanging post screens if any usb devices are plugged in.

I jumpered the usb voltage jumpers to the other setting and it seems to help some, and I moved my razor mouse to another plug, It only happens every now and then, so it's hard to pin down.
    Last edited by xgman; 03-11-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Uk

Exactly my problem, i have switched back to 218, all errors gone
    Headshot ! those who can, do, those who can't, complain.