I also have a few big questions as I focus on the core build and getting it into a case....
I want a very solid foundation for this chip and i want to maximise my

1, I know the haswell-e's and the x99 chipset and cpu support some extra lanes and quad channel memory support.

I have another set of corsair 4x4g Corsair 2800C16 ------ 4096 MB (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CMD16GX4M4A2800C16

X99 - Gigabyte X99P-Sli
E5 2690-V3 12 core / 24 thread
4x4G =16G Corsair Dominator Platinum

https://valid.x86.fr/ul8ng3

I would also like to do a raid and somehow use Thunderbolt 3, if that is the most effective solution..

So its...

#1 Ram Solution, add second set of 4x4g ram or upgrade to 4x8 stix and only populate one full quad channel of ram.

#2 Which is the better gpu for crunching.
- GTX960 G1 Gaming 4G very nice card. I always liked it even though it was only so good,,,
or
XFX 295X2 8G Hydro

#3 Storage management. ways to use Thunderbolt 3, i want to build a server,
I will be putting the OS on a Intel Optane or a ssd, or both, this is all new tech to me... Plus i need a long term solution for storage.
I also have 5 - 256G SSD's that i want to put into a raid array for speed, For a few specific programs or even swap file.
I just want to get every once of speed out of this system, leaving no trench behind.

I will be using win 10 pro 64... unless someone can change my mind.....

Not only is this a Server Cruncher, but it's me learning more about server tech then overclocking tech.

Thanks

SystemViper