Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: [News] Temperature Spikes Reported on Intel's Core i7-7700, i7-7700K Processors

  1. #1
    Join XS BOINC Team StyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tropics
    Posts
    16,513

    [News] Temperature Spikes Reported on Intel's Core i7-7700, i7-7700K Processors

    https://www.techpowerup.com/233018/t...00k-processors

    Reports around the web (and posts on Intel's forums) speak in hushed, strained and horrified voices at how some users with Intel's Core i7-7700 processors are seeing strangely random temperature spikes on their processors, which prompts their cooling solutions to spin to the rescue. The report only mentions Intel's 7700 (non-K) processor; though it would seem this issue is more prone to happen with the K version of the processor, according to Intel's forums.

    Apparently, some users are seeing temperature spikes that reach as high as as high as 90?C (out of a recommended 100?C.) Some users even go as far as admitting to have replaced Intel's fabled TIM, and running the CPU under a water cooling solution, only to find those temperature spikes still happening - and their cooling solutions rev up in response. "My own chip suffers from it, (without any overclocking) which is quite an annoyance," a user wrote. "This despite a delid modification and a proper water loop, resulting in the fans ramping up and down very frequently, and the temperature appearing to frequently spike near the danger zone." Intel, naturally, deployed a sanitized response, saying that "the reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program)." Business talk all the way, but to be honest, we don't even know if there is a real problem here, though there are so pretty interesting OCCT graphs being posted on the forum page. What do you say? Any of our users have seen similar issues?


  2. #2
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Oh...so now you tell me, literally just hours after I ordered my 7700k from Amazon
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  3. #3
    Join XS BOINC Team StyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tropics
    Posts
    16,513
    you can still cancel or return... lol

  4. #4
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by StyM View Post
    you can still cancel or return... lol
    Nope...too late, that ship has sailed! I'll have all the parts in my sig here next week. Time to start building not backtracking.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  5. #5
    I am Xtreme zanzabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SF bay area, CA
    Posts
    15,769
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    Nope...too late, that ship has sailed! I'll have all the parts in my sig here next week. Time to start building not backtracking.
    you can always delid it and fix it. the problems are the TIM and the glue that holds the ihs to the pcb. you also ordered from amazon so it is not like charge for returns so you could just wait an extra week and ryzen if you really wanted to.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

  6. #6
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you can always delid it and fix it. the problems are the TIM and the glue that holds the ihs to the pcb. you also ordered from amazon so it is not like charge for returns so you could just wait an extra week and ryzen if you really wanted to.
    I appreciate the advice, but I think I'm just going to see how it goes. I have a Noctua NH-D15S so that should provide *some* decent cooling.

    Also digging into this a little more - looks like a reoccurring theme I'm finding is voltage issues - whatever you do don't let your motherboard bios run auto on the CPU voltage, need to manually set it.
    Last edited by EternityZX9; 05-05-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  7. #7
    One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Inside a pot
    Posts
    6,393
    Haven't seen this phenomenon in any of my 7700K builds.
    Most of them aren't delidded, but still, they don't showcase those spikes anyway.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

    -Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

    Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

  8. #8
    Xtremely High Voltage Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    16,048
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    you can always delid it and fix it. the problems are the TIM and the glue that holds the ihs to the pcb. you also ordered from amazon so it is not like charge for returns so you could just wait an extra week and ryzen if you really wanted to.
    Maybe you didn't read it? It says people were still seeing that despite being delidded.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

  9. #9
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Haven't seen this phenomenon in any of my 7700K builds.
    Most of them aren't delidded, but still, they don't showcase those spikes anyway.
    Yeah it's hard to tell exactly how "common" this issue is - seems like to me, maybe 10% to 20% of users and from what I can find related to over voltage on the CPU.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Maybe you didn't read it? It says people were still seeing that despite being delidded.
    Relax, he's just trying to be helpful. And it still might be an option after all is said and done.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  10. #10
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    172
    im delidded and watercooled (AIO albeit) and i still get quite spikey temps.

    i've yet to have a proper play with the voltage/OC though, currently its set to auto. so might get better results when i have a proper tinker.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

  11. #11
    Attack Dachshund
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    3,165
    I'm currently building one.. as parts come in, I have monitored the user responses as well as mfr responses. I've noticed bios updates on Inel Z270 chipsets on the rise. (especially concerning voltage). It may be something to consider if you have or are building a K7700. Watch your bios updates on the Inel chipset Z270 and 170 bios updates. just imo. good luck. -Mike

  12. #12
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    im delidded and watercooled (AIO albeit) and i still get quite spikey temps. i've yet to have a proper play with the voltage/OC though, currently its set to auto. so might get better results when i have a proper tinker.
    That's the thing. Go into your bios and change the CPU voltage from auto to manual and set it for whatever stable figure you can get between 1.2 to 1.3. The lower the better seems to help from what I've read online. Although I can't confirm this myself until I get said CPU and start playing with it.
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  13. #13
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by EternityZX9 View Post
    That's the thing. Go into your bios and change the CPU voltage from auto to manual and set it for whatever stable figure you can get between 1.2 to 1.3. The lower the better seems to help from what I've read online. Although I can't confirm this myself until I get said CPU and start playing with it.
    My understanding is that if you set it in that way then it becomes non-variable and the system wont downvolt when downclocking at idle.

    i think you need to use an offset setting, but i really should just put some time aside and set it properly, i could probably go to 5ghz, rather than 4.8 done by the system.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    My understanding is that if you set it in that way then it becomes non-variable and the system wont downvolt when downclocking at idle.
    That is correct. I have my 6700K configured this way, at idle it will downclock to 800MHz, but the voltage will not vary by more than ~10mV from the specified setting.

  15. #15
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,659
    I have this with my 3770k too. I can't say it does this with default settings but @4.5ghz and 1.2v it happens nearly all the time.


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  16. #16
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    172
    finally got around to playing with the settings. im managing around 1.3 at 4.8ghz... i did try the golden 5, but no amount of voltage would keep it stable.

    i also tried cheaping out and using the asus 5G profile, but that wasnt stable either and pushed the voltage up ridiculously high, and the temps weren't really sustainable either.

    im happy enough having reduced the voltage from Auto's 1.4ish down to 1.3 on adaptive though, so thats nice, temps have dropped on average too

    moving on to the graphics now, hopefully will get 2ghz nice and easy.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

  17. #17
    Xtreme Member EternityZX9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nursing Student -or- Beta Testing Escape From Tarkov
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by SADS View Post
    finally got around to playing with the settings. im managing around 1.3 at 4.8ghz... i did try the golden 5, but no amount of voltage would keep it stable.

    i also tried cheaping out and using the asus 5G profile, but that wasnt stable either and pushed the voltage up ridiculously high, and the temps weren't really sustainable either.

    im happy enough having reduced the voltage from Auto's 1.4ish down to 1.3 on adaptive though, so thats nice, temps have dropped on average too

    moving on to the graphics now, hopefully will get 2ghz nice and easy.
    That's good to hear!
    Intel Core i7 7700K | MSI Z270 XPOWER G.T. | EVGA 1080Ti SC2 | 16GB DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z 3200 | Samsung S27A950D | 3 x Samsung 850 EVO (250GB, 2 x 2TB) | EVGA Supernova P2 1200w | Coolermaster Cosmos II

  18. #18
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,462
    This is pretty over blown. I'm also at 4.8ghz and 1.29v and have not seen such issues. Those clawing and fighting for 5Ghz with 1.4v+ of course are going to run into this.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

  19. #19
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Budwise View Post
    This is pretty over blown. I'm also at 4.8ghz and 1.29v and have not seen such issues. Those clawing and fighting for 5Ghz with 1.4v+ of course are going to run into this.
    without de-lidding, the processor temperature did seem very high by default and a bit spiky for myself and apparently others as well.

    maybe peoples expectations of stock running has gotten a bit too high these days, to the point that a little pushing of the chips brings them to what most of us would call unacceptable?
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    24
    Is 5Ghz really that hard to hit on these chips? My impression was that most of them were hitting it at ~1.38V or less, but from the looks of this thread it seems like they aren't.

  21. #21
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by niobium615 View Post
    Is 5Ghz really that hard to hit on these chips? My impression was that most of them were hitting it at ~1.38V or less, but from the looks of this thread it seems like they aren't.
    i think the word on the street, following some googling, is that around 20% of the chips can reach this with any relative ease.
    Core i7 7700K| ASUS Z270F | 16Gb DDR4 | GTX1080Ti | Watercooled CPU+GPU | 512GB 950Pro
    So why is it customary to post specs in sigs anyway?

  22. #22
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,462
    IMO, the issue is with the Intel stock coolers. If you run anything stressful especially with AVX for example on the stock cooler it will overheat like a mofo even at stock clocks and that I DO find inexcusable. Comparing Intel coolers to AMD's truly shows how little effort Intel puts into them.

    And yea 5Ghz capable are probably 20% or less like SADS said.
    7820X | Asrock X299 Taichi XE | Gigabyte 1080 Ti Xtreme | 32GB Memoriez | Corsair HXi1000 | 500GB 960 Evo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •