Thread: VGA to mini DP output

Xtreme Member

VGA to mini DP output

So my work laptop has a VGA out port and I have a Dell U2414H that has a DisplayPort, a mini DP in, a mini DP out, and two HDMI ports (that are already used and connected to two of my other systems).

I got a VGA to mini DP cable and when I plug it in, the laptop detects that there's a monitor present, but it can't/won't send the signal to it and I was wondering if there might be suggestions of things that I can try or if there's something that I can do differently to get it to work (preferably at the lowest cost possible).

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...es_-_6ft_White

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    flow man:
    du/dt + u dot del u = - del P / rho + v vector_Laplacian u
    {\partial\mathbf{u}\over\partial t}+\mathbf{u}\cdot\nabla\mathbf{u} = -{\nabla P\over\rho} + \nu\nabla^2\mathbf{u}

Nerdy Powerlifter
    You can go from digital to analogue (such as mini DP to VGA), but you can't go from analogue to digital as you're saying with just a cable.

There are converter boxes that will transform VGA to dvi/hdmi/dp, but they are costly. Depending on the cost, you might just want to buy a new laptop.
    You must [not] advance.

Current Rig: i7 4790k @ stock (**** TIM!) , Zotac GTX 1080 WC'd 2214mhz core / 5528mhz Mem, Asus z-97 Deluxe

Heatware

Xtreme Member
    If you have en expresscard or thunderbolt port you can run an adapter through that with a cheap video card, but we're still talking $100+ after getting all the parts.

Lenove T420i i5 2530/16gb/64gbMSSD/500GB/PE4H running a 660GTX gaming on 24" LCD
    3DMARK FIRESTORM

Xtreme Cruncher
    That cable is meant to connect a display port device to a VGA monitor, not the other way around.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to