Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiftech releases Maelstrom 5 1/4" dual bay res

Mr Swiftech

Swiftech releases Maelstrom 5 1/4" dual bay res

I am delighted to finally announce the release of the Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir.

The product can either operate in a standalone mode, or be integrated with one or two MCP35x class pumps (all fitting in a dual bay).

5 versions are available:

- standalone
    - with factory pre-installed MCP35X single pump housing (for those who already own an MCP5x class pump)
    - with factory pre-installed MCP35X2 dual pump housing (for those who already own MCP35x class pumps)
    - with factory pre-installed MCP35X pump
    - with factory pre-installed MCP35X2 dual pumps

Pics gallery:

Standalone Front View

Standalone Rear View

With MC35X housing pre-installed - rear view

With MC35X housing pre-installed - housing detail

With MC35X2 housing pre-installed - rear view

With MC35X2 housing pre-installed - housing detail

With MCP35X pump installed

With mcp35x2 dual pump installed

Filled with various coolant colors - Notice coolant temperature controller and graduated level

Up to 3 return lines can be installed - Shown here with Swiftech Lok-Seal 3/4" compression fittings to illustrate compatibility

Anti Vortex/Anti bubbles design

Material:

- Face plate: Black anodized aluminum
    - Reservoir: Clear Acetal
    - Brackets: Nickel plated steel
    - Fill cap: chrome plated brass
    - Fittings: black painted (electrophoresis) brass
    - Pump inlet: Black POM

Dimensions

Excerpt from Press Release:

The primary design concepts for this product line were modularity and compatibility with the MCP35x class pumps and their related accessories for upgrade purposes. Continuing the company’s long established tradition, the Maelstrom also includes a host of monitoring and operational safety features which combined together form a unique offering in the industry, such as: coolant temperature display, graduated level, anti-vortex design, multiple inlet ports, extra-large fill-port, and UV LED; its robust and elegant construction features a solid black anodized aluminum face plate with large cutouts allowing easy visualization of the coolant status. “When integrated with a single or dual MCP35X pump, the Maelstrom combines stunning looks with extreme performance features” said Gabriel Rouchon the company’s CEO “in this respect, I am equally proud of the fact that Swiftech® is now the only company in the world to offer an integrated pump with each major component of a liquid cooling system: with a radiator, the MCR-Drive™ radiator series, with a CPU waterblock, the Apogee™ Drive II, and now –at last, with a 5 ¼” bay reservoir: the Maelstrom! This unique ability will soon allow us to release new generations of complete liquid cooling kits catering to just about any user preference or case setup. Clearly, users and system builders now have more choices than ever before to configure their liquid cooling systems, and this is great news for the industry.”
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Mentor
    That's friggin awesome Gabe and Stephen. Awesome job! If you already have the Swiftech dual MCP35x and housing can you attach it to the stand alone model?
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member
    That's what I am wondering. It looks like the housings are attached permanately.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    That's friggin awesome Gabe and Stephen. Awesome job! If you already have the Swiftech dual MCP35x and housing can you attach it to the stand alone model?
    Yes you can! Just get the standalone version, take out the removable reservoir standalone outlet and put your MCP35X or MCP35X2!

Stephen

Xtreme Mentor
    That's awesome. Looks like I need to start planning to rebuild my server. Thanks for the answer Stephen.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ain't that as purdy as all heck! And a Dt temp monitor! Very very nice Gabe!

You folks do so well, thanks for pushing the envelope all the time, making neat stuff.

And you prolly hit Vegas a few times a year I bet. And I haven't heard the ' Time to go get beer yet'.

PM me, I'll find a special foodie spot just for you.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Ain't that as purdy as all heck! And a Dt temp monitor! Very very nice Gabe!

You folks do so well, thanks for pushing the envelope all the time, making neat stuff.

And you prolly hit Vegas a few times a year I bet. And I haven't heard the ' Time to go get beer yet'.

PM me, I'll find a special foodie spot just for you.
    Thanks buddy, but I haven't hit the strip since CES 2012, and no plans (so far) to go back until 2013.. but I do appreciate the invite :-)

G-
    CEO Swiftech

what's the price?

Is this compatible with a D5 pump?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Nice work!

Love the built in temperature sensor. It would be sweet if you could also build in an LED bar graph for measuring the approximate speed of each pump (like the old audio ones so you can tell at a glance how the pumps are running).

Personally I wish it was a 3 bay though so that there was more room for water in the reservoir (and more pressure) but then I guess it would be less popular (so many of the midsize cases only have 3 bays now). As a 2 bay res it looks great though

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by OCAUfedexpress View Post
    what's the price?

Is this compatible with a D5 pump?
    Link to pricing

D5 compatible: no, strictly MCP35 series (350/355/35X) compatible.
    CEO Swiftech

Quote Originally Posted by stephenswiftech View Post
    Yes you can! Just get the standalone version, take out the removable reservoir standalone outlet and put your MCP35X or MCP35X2!
    Stephen
    Very nice, looks like I'm out the cost of my new res.

I realize with the 35X pumps the tops are not coming off but are any of the warranties voided if purchasing the stand alone unit and attaching a 35X pump???

Xtreme Member
    no warranty will be voided when installing MCP35X/MCP35X2 to Maelstrom Standalone.
    [no need to disassemble the pump! the top/housing attaches directly to the reservoir]

Xtreme Member
    Looks gorgeous. Nice job. I use a Swiftech mcres because my older bay res would not fill or bleed air easily.

Do you have thoughts on filling & bleeding with this new product? Any "how to" videos how to save time? Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Corsair 850 tx psu; Dell 27" monitor
    XSPC rx rads; Apogee xt2; gtx680+Heatkiller fc; mcp655's in EK-D5 top
    distilled water + silver in MasterKleer 7/16" ID on 1/2" barbs & compressions

Mr Swiftech
    Fill-and-bleed with this product is totally non-issue.
    CEO Swiftech

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Link to pricing

D5 compatible: no, strictly MCP35 series (350/355/35X) compatible.
    Dangit!!

I was gonna buy if it did I can just throw my D5 away lol!

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by OCAUfedexpress View Post
    Dangit!!

I was gonna buy if it did I can just throw my D5 away lol!
    Of course, this is perfectly understandabe No worries, you might use it in your next build !
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I am going to buy the single pump version, and APD2 for my second pump.

How much does this thing vibrate? My Drive whines loudly.

Xtreme Member
    LOVE the built-in temp sensor!! best idea yet
    i7 3930@4.5GHz (EK Supreme HF), GTX690@1.2GHz (Koolance NX-690), 128G 4M + 2x128G 4M raid 0, Silverstone TJ07, Custom Enclosure w/MoRa, 18x GT AP-31, 401X2 dual PMP-400

Quote Originally Posted by bds71 View Post
    LOVE the built-in temp sensor!! best idea yet
    I'm suprised no other bay res had this lol!

It's almost like a fan controller for reservoirs lol!

I have another question about adding 35X pumps. If starting out with one pump and then adding a second pump in the future can the second 35X pump be added along side or is the 35X2 housing required???

my jaw just dropped, awesome work!

I like large posteriors and I cannot prevaricate

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    I have another question about adding 35X pumps. If starting out with one pump and then adding a second pump in the future can the second 35X pump be added along side or is the 35X2 housing required???
    you will need the MCP35X2 housing.

Ok, thanks.

If I want to upgrade in the future I would be better off buying a new 35X2 with the housing than being cheap and buying the housing and one new pump. I'm a bit slow but I get it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Where can I pick up a Maelstrom-DPH ,need the unit and DPH. Looks to be cheaper bundled I'm rebuilding and still wana keep the org 2 MCP35X i got off you ;-)
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Just installed my Maelstrom, it looks awesome. Using it with a single pump as well as the APD2. I had an old MCR-X20 Drive so I swapped the pump over to the Maelstrom and it fit fine. The large fill port on top is fantastic, don't even need to use a funnel anymore to fill the system. The temp sensor is also a nice addition and is visible from any angle.

My only concern is with both pumps running over 3400rpm the pump inlet would start sucking in air. The little inlets in the tube surrounding the pump inlet don't supply enough water with both pumps running at full speed, which causes the water level in the tube to drop, allowing air to get sucked into the pump. The only way I found to stop air from getting in was to fill the res completely leaving almost no air at all, which was kinda a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Slave1974 View Post
    Yeah, I am going to buy the single pump version, and APD2 for my second pump.

How much does this thing vibrate? My Drive whines loudly.
    I have a Drive as well with a bit of vibration. Took some work to dampen it to not rattle my whole case. I moved the pump from the drive to the Maelstrom and the vibration was much less. Probably cause of the more solid mounting of the Maelstrom to the case. I've noticed the APD2 vibrates a lot less, maybe it's just slight differences in the balance of the pumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast