Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Overclocker "Smoke" takes 3dmark 11 world record with R9 290X

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon - USA
    Posts
    830

    Overclocker "Smoke" takes 3dmark 11 world record with R9 290X

    Russian overclocker "Smoke" Has taken the 3dmark 11 Single GPU world record with an R9 290X on LN2 clocked at 1500/1762. To do this he used a Ivybridge-E clocked at an amazing 6000mhz on an Asrock X79 Xtreme 6. His 3dmark 11 score was 22640 marks overtaking k|ngp|n's previous 22593 marks with a GTX Titan. Congratulations to both Smoke, and AMD
    http://hwbot.org/submission/2443921_...0x_22640_marks

    He has also take the OVERALL 3dmark 11 world record with 4 R9 290X clocked at 1,435/1,650MHz on a brand new asus rampage X79 Black edition motherboard with the same processor running 6000mhz!
    http://hwbot.org/submission/2441980_...0x_41531_marks
    Last edited by Ace123; 10-28-2013 at 11:13 PM.
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4930k @4.875
    G.Skill Trident X 2666 Cl10
    Gtx 780 SC
    1600w Lepa Gold
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB


  2. #2
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    588
    WOW
    WOOOOOF

  3. #3
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    680
    I dont get it, how does a very badly clocking and very hot card do this ? Reading many comments here it would seem impossible.Witchcraft.
    All it proves ,is that hawaii is a proper contender to kepler cards, only change will be if 780 Ti has more shaders unlocked than titan.
    Intel 5960X@4.2Ghz[Prime stable]@4.5 [XTU stable] 1.24v NB@3.6ghz Asrock X99 Extreme 3 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance@3200 16-17-17
    Sapphire nitro+ VEGA 56 Samsung SSD 850 256GB Crucial MX100 512GB HDD:WD10TB WD:8TB Seagate8TB

  4. #4
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    5,485
    It just means that the stock cooler is a pos... and doesn't even show a tiny spec of what potential the card really has.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 10-29-2013 at 06:07 AM.

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stockton, CA
    Posts
    3,559
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    I dont get it, how does a very badly clocking and very hot card do this ? Reading many comments here it would seem impossible.Witchcraft.
    All it proves ,is that hawaii is a proper contender to kepler cards, only change will be if 780 Ti has more shaders unlocked than titan.
    voltmods & LN2 work wonders

  6. #6
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by vario View Post
    I dont get it, how does a very badly clocking and very hot card do this ? Reading many comments here it would seem impossible.Witchcraft.
    All it proves ,is that hawaii is a proper contender to kepler cards, only change will be if 780 Ti has more shaders unlocked than titan.
    Lame stock cooler and nvidia propoganda/misinformation?
    PII X6 1055T 14x272
    Gigabyte 890GX
    2x4 GB Gskill DDR3@4890
    XFX 7870

  7. #7
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bangkok,Thailand (DamHot)
    Posts
    2,690
    gpu @ 1500 is insane
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

  8. #8
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    799
    Some at hwbot is saying it's not valid because it had tessellation on the wrong settings. We all know this is a pretty new card and detection might be bad but yeah, hopefully some light will be shed with regards to this.

  9. #9
    Wanna look under my kilt?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Glasgow-ish U.K.
    Posts
    4,455
    Disabled Tesselation is allowed via HWBot rules, but Futuremark HOF rules require Tess to be enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

    why?
    ______

    Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

  10. #10
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    893
    Turning tess off is a common - and allowed - tweak on AMD scores. Has been since the first person complained about it when the HD 7970s came out. I'm not venturing an opinion on the matter, just letting you know.
    [XC] gomeler - Public note: If you PM me to tell me that I am disrespectful at least have space in your PM box so I can tell you I don't care.

    [XC] gomeler - I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.

    I heart gomeler!

  11. #11
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    535
    There shouldn't need to be opinions. If Radeons don't do as much work as Geforces because a feature has been flat out disabled in the control panel, then that's a cheat. End of story. The fact that it doesn't violate Hwbot rules just means that Hwbot rules run contrary to common sense and should be taken with a grain of salt.

  12. #12
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,657
    so it is allowed for both amd and nvidia, and nvidia's also turn tess off??? then no problem.


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  13. #13
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cape Town - South Africa
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    so it is allowed for both amd and nvidia, and nvidia's also turn tess off??? then no problem.
    Cannot be done with Nvidia.....hmmm maybe because they do not need it?

  14. #14
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooProphetII View Post
    Cannot be done with Nvidia.....hmmm maybe because they do not need it?
    strange.. then no overclock scores are taken at same condition.


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  15. #15
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Queensland Australia
    Posts
    1,441
    Wonder how long his record will last.

    -PB
    -Project Sakura-
    Intel i7 860 @ 4.0Ghz, Asus Maximus III Formula, 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws X F3 (@ 1600Mhz), 2x GTX 295 Quad SLI
    2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 RAID 0, OCZ ZX 1000W, NZXT Phantom (Pink), Dell SX2210T Touch Screen, Windows 8.1 Pro

    Koolance RP-401X2 1.1 (w/ Swiftech MCP35X), XSPC EX420, XSPC X-Flow 240, DT Sniper, EK-FC 295s (w/ RAM Blocks), Enzotech M3F Mosfet+NB/SB

  16. #16
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    Disabled Tesselation is allowed via HWBot rules, but Futuremark HOF rules require Tess to be enabled.
    Thanks, that cleared things up. Move along guys, nothing to argue here. If you want to, head over to hwbot.
    Last edited by blindbox; 10-29-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Removed my edit, ambiguous info.

  17. #17
    Wanna look under my kilt?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Glasgow-ish U.K.
    Posts
    4,455
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    The fact that it doesn't violate Hwbot rules just means that Hwbot rules run contrary to common sense.
    I disagree. HWBot made the rule around the fact that the option to disable Tess is in the AMD-released driver control panel. It's an OFFICIAL option, therefore cannot be excluded. nVidia cards have/had LOD options, ATI (at the time) did not. The effect of LOD in older benches is MASSIVE. Shoe, other foot. Yin-yang..... each side has its tweaks
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

    why?
    ______

    Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

  18. #18
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ankara Turkey
    Posts
    2,657
    Agreed with the reasons hwbot allowed it but it still would be nice to see and compare the scores where both cards trying to do the same thing.

    Sent from my SM-N9000Q using Tapatalk


    When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

  19. #19
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    I disagree. HWBot made the rule around the fact that the option to disable Tess is in the AMD-released driver control panel. It's an OFFICIAL option, therefore cannot be excluded. nVidia cards have/had LOD options, ATI (at the time) did not. The effect of LOD in older benches is MASSIVE. Shoe, other foot. Yin-yang..... each side has its tweaks
    Don't forget 2 wrongs don't make a right. While I do understand the reason for the rule, the 290X should have it enabled. Unless it's too weak to be able to push out those scores with Tess on, in which case it shouldn't be a enthusiast part.

    Still, it's an impressive score.
    Last edited by DeathReborn; 10-30-2013 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Extra lulz

  20. #20
    Wanna look under my kilt?
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Glasgow-ish U.K.
    Posts
    4,455
    I completely see why the performance of a card should be compared apples: apples and I agree.

    "but"

    that's an approach for reviews. Reviews still paint it as a good card, if not a bit on the toasty side. Competitive benching = score. "horses for courses"
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

    why?
    ______

    Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

  21. #21
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by K404 View Post
    I completely see why the performance of a card should be compared apples: apples and I agree.

    "but"

    that's an approach for reviews. Reviews still paint it as a good card, if not a bit on the toasty side. Competitive benching = score. "horses for courses"
    I agree with this, it's not a review site and it's not meant to compare cards like you do in reviews. The only aim is to get the highest score with no cheats.
    If this was a comparison then the voltmods should also not be allowed.
    ________________
    Main:
    Phenom II x6 1090T BE|Crosshair IV Formula|Corsair 4x2GB DDR3|Sapphire HD5870|Adaptec 2405 + Hitachi Ultrastar 15k 450GB SAS, Toshiba MBD2147RC 146GB 10k SAS, Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 5900RPM, WD Black 2TB, Seagate Barracuda ST2000M001 2TB|Asus Xonar Essence ST + HD600|Corsair HX850|HPZR24w|Fractal Define XL Black|Windows 7 X64 Pro
    Backup/Storage server:
    HP Proliant ML350 G4|2 x Xeon "Nocona" 3GHz|4GB DDR1 ECC|Storage (SCSI): 3x10k 72GB + 10k 300GB + 15k 300GB + Ultrium460 tape drive|Storage (SATA): Adaptec 2810SA + 2 x WD Caviar 250GB RAID0 + Seagate 250GB|Windows Server 2008r2 Datacenter
    Other:
    HP Proliant DL380 G5|Xeon 5150|4GB FB DDR2 ECC|HP Smart Array P400-256MB cache|3x10k 146GB SAS in RAID 0 + 10k 146GB SAS|2x800W|ATi FireGL V7700|Samsung 226BW|Windows Server 2008r2 Enterprise
    HP DL320 G5|Xeon 3150 2.13GHz|1GB DDR2 ECC|2x80GB RAID 0|Windows Server 2008r2 Standard
    Laptop:
    HP 8560w|i5-2540M|2x4GB DDR3|AMD FirePro M5950|Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|Windows 7 X64 Pro

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •