Thread: Valve Confirms "Source 2" game engine.

Xtreme Cruncher

Valve Confirms "Source 2" game engine.

"We've been working on new engine stuff for a while," Newell said. "We've just been waiting for a game to roll it out with." Just to make sure the response had no room for doubt, a follow-up asked if it's an entirely new engine rather than just an extension to Source, and Newell confirmed with a simple "yeah." He also mentioned a sequel to Ricochet.
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/766...in-development

About time they replace the Source engine. I wonder if they'll be able to pull off the same technology leap that Source was over previous engines when it debuted in 2003?
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    graphic wise source wasn't really a leap ahead, more like it was a bit dated, what made source quite interesting was its facial animations.

Wonder what game it will come with.

Xtreme Addict
    CSGO was a stepping stone for Source 2, if you look at Source, CSGO and Source 2, it's a minor upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

I am Xtreme
    source was great because it ran so well. it looked incredible too considering how little computing power was needed. i still remember when CS:S first came out thinking it was 1000x better looking than CS:1.6

i think the Dx9 era was the peak of gaming eyecandy growth. since then its like developers just brute forced in polygons, textures and lights.
    2500k @ 4900mhz - Asus Maxiums IV Gene Z - Swiftech Apogee LP
    GTX 680 @ +170 (1267mhz) / +300 (3305mhz) - EK 680 FC EN/Acteal
    Swiftech MCR320 Drive @ 1300rpms - 3x GT 1850s @ 1150rpms
    XS Build Log for: My Latest Custom Case

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    CSGO was a stepping stone for Source 2, if you look at Source, CSGO and Source 2, it's a minor upgrade.
    Source 2 is not related to CS:GO in anyway. CS:GO is Source 1 with partial global illumination and some other enhancements. Source 2 is to be a completely new engine.
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

Xtreme Cruncher
    ABOUT DANG TIME. valve have been forcing that dated excuse for an engine on us for far to many years now. yea it was pretty good when it came out (2003) but it has been far long over due for an update... it's about time the "strong hold of PC gaming" made a game that actually showcased the benefits of the MODERN PC.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

all outta gum
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    it's about time the "strong hold of PC gaming" made a game that actually showcased the benefits of the MODERN PC.
    Graphic fidelity is not what makes PC gaming unique. Valve has been showcasing the benefits of every PC: dedicated servers, modding capabilities, community content...

Oh, and in engine world, graphic fidelity has nothing to do with success. Engines are sold on the basis of 1) good tools 2) good portability, everything else is just extra. Source is hard to work with, compared for example to any Unreal Engine, and THAT's why they need a major update.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Can't wait to see what kind of new technology Valve will bring us with this new engine, should be great, enough of DX9 already.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    ABOUT DANG TIME. valve have been forcing that dated excuse for an engine on us for far to many years now. yea it was pretty good when it came out (2003) but it has been far long over due for an update... it's about time the "strong hold of PC gaming" made a game that actually showcased the benefits of the MODERN PC.
    And it still looks better then the cod engine...

And its not like modern graphic designers actually make use of all the engines, they are capable of very colorful detailed graphics, but they always hide it behind massive blur, brown/blue/gray filters or ty aa implementations (aka blur filter), tons of lens flare or dust/blood/jelly screens and fog, fog everywhere.
    Last edited by Hornet331; 11-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post

And its not like modern graphic designers actually make use of all the engines, they are capable of very colorful detailed graphics, but they always hide it behind massive blur, brown/blue/gray filters or ty aa implementations (aka blur filter), tons of lens flare or dust/blood/jelly screens and fog, fog everywhere.
    In general, if they hide something behind extreme Blur, DOF etc, it is not cause what is behind is detailed or beautifull, mostly for hide poor resolutions textures, etc etc ...

You was mention the last COD, i think this is the right example of it.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Member

Except those techniques enhance the game's atmosphere/mood.
    I'd much rather play an atmospheric game than some bland super OMG high res texture monstrosity.
    There's a point at which super high textures just become an eyesore. Game =/= photograph.
    Gigabyte z68 UD3
    2600k @ stock
    8Gb G Skill
    2x eVGA GTX 680 @ stock
    Intel 320 80Gb
    Intel 320 120Gb x2
    Intel 320 160Gb x2

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolslave View Post
    Except those techniques enhance the game's atmosphere/mood.
    No it does not, atmosphere comes from the art direction, I dont need a bazillion effects that aver over the top so it does "FELLL SO REALLLLLL", best example is cod blood jelly screen.

There is no reason for BF3 to have the blue taint filter and ultra high contrast plus glare:

And its not the only game that screws over a very good looking game with there "artsyness"

Xtreme Member
    if there going to put those stupid color filters in a game they should atleast give us the option to disable them
    photo realistic textures will always look better than the blurry rubbish seen in most current games it just takes more work to make them blend and not repeat too obviously

cinematic mod does some great things with hl2 especially the textures which are some of the best in any current game
    Last edited by dasa; 11-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dasa View Post
    if there going to put those stupid color filters in a game they should atleast give us the option to disable them
    photo realistic textures will always look better than the blurry rubbish seen in most current games it just takes more work to make them blend and not repeat too obviously

cinematic mod does some great things with hl2 especially the textures which are some of the best in any current game
    PC as a driving force has been dead and buried for 7 years now. Apart from Crysis (and that was 5 years ago), there's no other AA game designed to push the hardware envelope in the PCs... There were people complaining that Crysis was too unforgiving on their machines, and what do we have now instead? Rehashes of the same engine for almost a decade now. What's happening is ridiculous and I find it more than strange that nobody's "speaking up". Imagine in 2004 (when HL2 was released) we had Doom-era graphics, because the equivalent of that is pretty much happening right now. The blurry filters is the equivalent of trying to fit the Doom sprite-engine into a 2004 framework.

It's horrible and there's a reason for that, game developers have stopped trying to push the envelope in the graphics arena long ago, it's not as if gameplay is much better (rehashes of the same game genres invented in the 90s), the gaming industry is a stale state of affairs and it shows what's in store for the rest of IT sector (on which it was pretty much dependent). Forget the pace of the last 30 years, IT is shaping up to be the aircraft industry of the 21st century (where every true innovation would take decades). It's sad but the gaming industry shows how we quicken our pace towards the end of the line, enthusiasts would soon be an extinct species.

By now we could well (have) had photorealistic graphics (if the pace was to continue), but we don't and probably never will because some "assembly up in the clouds" decided that "graphics are good enough" and soon they'd decide that for home computing (if they have not already done that). Somehow conservative forces took the upper hand and all it takes it is for people to stop believing that they can push the envelope further for evolution and innovation to stop, and it's already happening in gaming already. I'm disgusted by the 10th itteration of COD *because of* what it really stands for (stagnation and death)...

/rant.
    Last edited by Stevethegreat; 11-15-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    if they do it right this might be the turning point of games on linux.

When i'm being paid i always do my job through.

Xtreme 3D Team
    No it does not, atmosphere comes from the art direction, I dont need a bazillion effects that aver over the top so it does "FELLL SO REALLLLLL", best example is cod blood jelly screen.

There is no reason for BF3 to have the blue taint filter and ultra high contrast plus glare:

And its not the only game that screws over a very good looking game with there "artsyness"
    The problem here is that the second screen in there is no better than Source.

I think controlled glare from the sun is useful but the lens flare...no. Unless we fight in real life seeing through camera lenses...

The end result is horrid though, I don't know why they made everything blue, most LCDs are already blue enough...
    Smile

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian View Post
    CS:GO is not source 2 engine.

- What I am most excited about on this, is how graphics will look on nvidia vs. AMD, and performance as well, source engine will be utterly crucial for graphics companies....
    Last edited by M.Beier; 11-16-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

I think Global Offensive should have been saved for Source 2 engine, because Global Offensive didn't really offer anything new over the original CS and CS Source, but I'm sure in few years time Valve will release another Counterstrike on the new Source 2 engine.
    AMD Threadripper 12 core 1920x CPU OC at 4Ghz | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 motherboard | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM | Gigabyte 11GB GTX 1080 Ti Aorus Xtreme GPU | SilverStone Strider Platinum 1000W Power Supply | Crucial 1050GB MX300 SSD | 4TB Western Digital HDD | 60" Samsung JU7000 4K UHD TV at 3840x2160

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevethegreat View Post
    /rant.
    nice rant

Quote Originally Posted by kromosto View Post
    if they do it right this might be the turning point of games on linux.
    opengl and linux have been dying these past few years as far as gaming goes it will be interesting to see if it can regain some lost ground
    Last edited by dasa; 11-16-2012 at 03:57 AM.
    TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2088\9500MHz -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
    3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i think the Dx9 era was the peak of gaming eyecandy growth. since then its like developers just brute forced in polygons, textures and lights.
    If you back it up to the second half of the 1990s, then I would say we're really at the golden age. Back then things were new enough to where there was lots of low-hanging fruit to be had both in terms of hardware performance gains and things you could do visually to improve perceived quality. Once you're at say 90% photo-realistic, closing half the gap to 100% isn't nearly as impressive as doing so when you were at 20%. That timespan takes you from Doom II (late 94, 2.5D), through Quake (1996, real 3D FPS), GLQuake (early 1997, realtime colored lighting), Quake II (1997, major 3D improvement), Tribes (1998, big world FPS), and Quake III Arena (1999, another graphic leap). That was fun!
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.