Thread: Is it possible to tune water flow in a parallel loop to suit different restrictions?

Threaded View

Xtreme Member

Question Is it possible to tune water flow in a parallel loop - Edit; SOLVED

Is it possible to tune the flow of water in a parallel loop via a 3 way manifold to suit different

blocks restrictions? EDIT: Solved

I am seeking to fully watercool an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme; ie, Mosfets, Chipset and RAM, as well as

an i7 3960x CPU and 2 x GTX580 GPU's or equivalent. I am including the RAM and Chipset because

the system will be in an entirely passive chamber of my custom case, basically sealed with no airflow whatsoever and I

anticipate that the RAM (8 dimms) and Chipset will require some cooling to function well.

So, the details:

I will have one large custom RES, followed by an Swiftech MCP35X2 (ie 2 pumps) which will then flow

through 2 x XSPC RX480 rads, followed by the CPU with an EK Supreme HF Block, all in serial so far, now it gets tricky though, after the CPU I want to

split the flow into 3.

the goal is for me to have one inlet to a manifold and three outlets,
    Outlet # 1 - 2 x EKWB GTX580 Fullcover blocks in parallel,
    Outlet # 2 - EKWB ASUS RIVE Mosfet block
    Outlet # 3 - 2 x EKWB RAM block and EKWB RIVE NB Block in series

That will then all return to an outlet manifold; ie 3 into 1 which will then return to the RES.

it will all look something like this:

.................................................. ................./ > Mosfet------------\
    RES > MCP35X2 > RX480 > RX480 > CPU>Manifold--> 2 x GPU in parallel-----> RES
    .................................................. .................\ > RAM > NB > RAM --/

Ignore the full stops, couldn't show spaces without it?

(the uneven distribution of blocks is due to tube routing, which is a nightmare on x79 with full WC'ing)

So basically the question is, can 2 x swiftech mcp35x's provide enough flow and pressure to be split

three ways and can that flow/pressure then be tuned to suit each blocks cooling needs and respective

restriction.

Obviously I want the most flow to the CPU and GPU blocks, and the least to the Mosfets, NB and RAM

blocks, which is converse to their respective restrictions AFAIK. So is it possible for me to tune

the flow through a custom manifold by sizing the respective ports, ie, if i have one inlet point, off

that i will have three outlets each varying in size to supply the required flow rate to each component

taking into account their respective restriction. You could put it like being a 3 way manifold, each

outlet has a G 1/4" port and then each port has a ball valve attached and the ball valve is opened a

certain percentage to increase or decrease it's flow relative to the blocks need.

This is not a question of whether I will get better temperature or flow, simply a question of will it

work. So, what do you guys think? Bit of a rant I know but something that I feel hasn't been addressed in

the usual Parallel vs Serial Loop question. This is probably a question for Martin or Skinnee but i'm

happy to hear all opinions/ideas/bull$#*t etc :P

Edit; so I did some flow analysis in Solidworks with FloXpress, looks like it will work, thanks for all the input

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flow Simulation 2.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	124393
    Last edited by Liam_G; 03-05-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Solved