Thread: IT Consulting

Xtreme Mentor

IT Consulting

Hi, I'm about to graduate from college this year and I'm looking into IT consulting as a possible career choice. I LOVE technology and I figured that it would be a great way to leverage my educational background(Math/econ with minors in statistics accounting and management)

I am a competitive applicant as I attend a well regarded university(though not as much of a target as say CalTech, USC or UCLA) have a solid GPA, and relevant experience.

I've been doing a lot of case studies and I've brushed up on vocabulary and whatnot, but I am struggling to make contacts. I've reached out to recruiters at all the nearby top universities(including my own where half of these corporations actively recruit). Presently I have contacts at Deloitte Consulting, Capgemini, Hitachi, and IBM among others.

If anyone has any advice or insights, I would be in their debt.

Attack Dachshund
    Best of luck... maybe consider government/military contracts.... the down side is no benefits and not steady work (depending on the contract).. plus you'll need to do the whole security clearance dance, which can be a pita. but it'll get you in the door experience for future employment.

I've been in IT since the early 90's, and it used to be cake to land a good job. Now it's a pita, and they usually are contract/no benefit type gigs. The military/government gigs usually pay the best, but it's temp/no benefits work.

like I said, good luck. Take what you can get so you have some resume fodder.