Thread: How to (properly) tighten compression fittings...?

I am Xtreme

How to (properly) tighten compression fittings...?

In the process of re-doing my loop, and one of the changes I'm doing is that I'm going to all compression fittings. My question is, is there an easy way to tighten these things? I'm assuming you have to tighten them all the way and leave no "gap", correct? This is my first time using these types of fittings so I'm not sure exactly how much you're supposed to tighten them, and an easy way to tighten them without messing up your fingers, haha.

Banned
    if you tighten them with no gap you will either cut the tubing in two or strip the threads. How far you need to go depends on tube and how much you bend the tube before you tighten

I am Xtreme
    Okay got it. I'm using 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD fittings and tubing, and tightening the compression fittings is pretty tough. It doesn't seem like I could ever tighten them "all the way" unless I use some kind of pliers, which I don't think should be necessary. I'm not sure what you mean by "bend the tube before you tighten". I simply install the tube until it hits the barb and can go no farther, then I start tightening the compression ring as much as I can with my fingers (which feels pretty tight).

I guess I'm just trying to get confirmation that it isn't necessary to use tools when tightening these things

Banned
    if u make a tight bend like from cpu to a mosfet the tube will be slightly oval around the fitting and you wont be able to tighten as far.

Banned
    @OP you do NOT use pliers,wrenches,etc..you only use you hand ,there have to be gap of apr. .06~.125,other wise you will stretch O ring or cut the tubing
    Last edited by coolhandluke41; 04-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Awesome, thanks guys! Hopefully I can finally get to doing this rebuild so I can post pics!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now getting them off you'll need pliers.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Banned
    nope, you can do it with your fingers; just requires losing flesh

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Half the reason I went to koolance, easier on the fingers then the diamond pattern everybody else has.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Putting a little vaseline on the threads has made them easier to use for me.
    Intel I7 920 D0 @ 4.2g------------EK Supreme HF
    EVGA X58 SLI LE------------------EK-FB EVGA X58 LE
    nVidia GTX 580----------------------EK-FC580 GTX
    6g Corsair DDR3----------------DDC 3.2 w/ Petra's top
    OCZ 120g Vertex SSD------------------PA120.4
    WD 150g Raptor
    WD 500g
    ASUS Xonar DS
    HX1000 psu
    Silverstone TJ07 case

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
    Putting a little vaseline on the threads has made them easier to use for me.
    that's brilliant...

I tried a liquid detergent once, but it eventually dried and they were still hard to get off.

I often have to use pliers. Even wrapped in electrical tape, I somehow manage to knick them... makes me angry.

I'm going to try the petroleum jelly
    upgrading...

Ditto here, will try vaseline on my upcoming build, brilliant indeed

I am Xtreme
    Will definitely be trying the Vaseline trick!

I have another question about some rotary fittings I have. I just got 2 that feel a lot looser than my other ones. They are all made by Bitspower. I did an extremely basic leak test last night and there wasn't any leak from the fittings, so it same to assume there wont be? I wont lie, I don't feel as good about these fittings as I do about my other ones that are a lot tighter when trying to rotate them

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    Will definitely be trying the Vaseline trick!

I have another question about some rotary fittings I have. I just got 2 that feel a lot looser than my other ones. They are all made by Bitspower. I did an extremely basic leak test last night and there wasn't any leak from the fittings, so it same to assume there wont be? I wont lie, I don't feel as good about these fittings as I do about my other ones that are a lot tighter when trying to rotate them
    Boil the end of the tube then place it on the barb and tighten.. I tighten all down to nearly zero gap and have never had a problem. .when the tubing is soft it's very easy to do.. I do the same thing to get them off the barbs.

Xtreme Member
    I wet the threads\tube\o-rings with water or [spray lube[wd-40]-but not much], same taking off,
    MVF WC ||3770k-KL370||CM932||AX1200||580 sli -EK||
    3XMCR320\w655 EK[basement]||w655 EK[HAF932] || VL4N||MR||2xfan controllers || 9 x S-Flex F -[rads]
    8gb Trident 2400||Samsung S27A850D||Win7HP-64||2x120gb G2 R0 OS||2x150Vraptors R0-backup|| G15,G13||G9x
    PC sound>forte analog>Yamaha 765>4xPSB alpha B1>alpha C1>10" sub [very clean sound].+sens PC360

Banned
    I do not reconmend tightening them all the way even if it is possible with the boil technique. Even with the 1/8" wall it is possible to cut through the tubng.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MagisD View Post
    Now getting them off you'll need pliers.

No, no. Just hold the tube with one hand (so you can move the compression ring without everything moving too) and use the other on the compression ring. I had no problems with my setup...

Quote Originally Posted by vulcZ View Post
    Rotaries are tricky: they have an o-ring inside, so try not to apply pressure on the fitting: what I'm trying to stay is that if you put stress onto the fitting (because the tube is a tad shorter or longer) the pressure on the o-ring wont be even and thus you are likely to get a leak.

I used rotaries and had no problems whatsoever, and one of them was like yours, loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    im sure bill gates has always wanted OLED Toilet Paper wipe his butt with steve jobs talking about ipad..
    Mini-review: Q6600 vs i5 2500K. Gpu scaling on games.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, and theres half a dozen tricks for getting them off. But sometimes your still gona need tools.

MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the only proper way to tighten/unscrew compression fittings is using a "boa constrictor" type of tool. Buying one of these is said to improve your life quality when building a watercooled system by about 9000%.

Xtreme Member
    I always believed, that once your fingers start to bleed, you can use your own blood as not only lubricant for the fittings, but to color your coolant.

Xtreme Member
    With Extreme Prejudice