MMM
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 96

Thread: LightPeak->Thunderbolt: Apple and Intel unveil Thunderbolt I/O technology

  1. #26
    Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    Posts
    9,440
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post


    (he means that you'll be able to use an external video card)

    Although you'll probably need more links than just one. Like 3 of them in parallel have the same bandwidth as 16x PCIe 1.X

    E: although they claim they can get it up to 100 gbps, which I guess is actually faster than PCIe 2.0 and only slightly slower than PCIe 3.0. If I were a laptop manufacturer, I'd start pushing USB3 as hard as I can, while completely ignoring LightPeak though... wouldn't want people to simply buy a desktop video card rather than a whole new laptop.
    I remember someone doing a test with high-end GPUs a year or two back and dropping down to I think an x4 PCIe link yielded something like 80% of the performance. I'd be fine with 80% of a GTX 580 linked to my MBP

  2. #27
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    It means no one will use it because they don't have anything that moves so fast. I'm not being luddite here, I'm being practical. Fast links aren't news, fast media is. And you have none. Unless you've got that SSD raid array, that is, which is fine if you do. Most people will not, however.

    And this cable does not have ethernet, and it does not have USB, so you didn't have a reason for implying it did. And everything in business is about profit, get a clue.
    It supports Ethernet and USB protocols, and making an adapter is possible. So he was right to imply it, as these were written on the Intel link.

    Extend to reach other I/O technologies by using adapters that use widely available PCI Express controllers. It's simple to create a Gigabit Ethernet, or FireWire, or eSATA adapters using existing device PCI Express drivers.
    One socket can do all that and all you can do is say we don't need it?

  3. #28
    Xtreme Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    17,468
    my laptop packed it in recently, good timing
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?



  4. #29
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    It means no one will use it because they don't have anything that moves so fast. I'm not being luddite here, I'm being practical. Fast links aren't news, fast media is. And you have none. Unless you've got that SSD raid array, that is, which is fine if you do. Most people will not, however.

    And this cable does not have ethernet, and it does not have USB, so you didn't have a reason for implying it did. And everything in business is about profit, get a clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post


    (he means that you'll be able to use an external video card)

    Although you'll probably need more links than just one. Like 3 of them in parallel have the same bandwidth as 16x PCIe 1.X

    E: although they claim they can get it up to 100 gbps, which I guess is actually faster than PCIe 2.0 and only slightly slower than PCIe 3.0. If I were a laptop manufacturer, I'd start pushing USB3 as hard as I can, while completely ignoring LightPeak though... wouldn't want people to simply buy a desktop video card rather than a whole new laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    It supports Ethernet and USB protocols, and making an adapter is possible. So he was right to imply it, as these were written on the Intel link.



    One socket can do all that and all you can do is say we don't need it?


    He's just trolling and being negative for no reason. Batman I've been following this tech for awhile. Even if it didn't show up in apple's implementation, intel since day one, has planned this to replace all ports eventually and one of the first things they did was make it support ethernet and USB, the current backbone of our computers. Lightpeak would be doomed from the start if it didnt work/talk with ethernet or usb.

    Are just an amd fanboy or what? This is a really legit tech and has A LOT going in its favor. Are you just mad because Intel came up with it?

    Again, the chicken or egg argument applies to any new tech that comes out that surpasses our current needs. You really haven't had anything compelling to say that we don't already know.


    I do all my work on my laptop. A lot of heavy video rendering. It'd be nice to have a lightpeak port linked to external vid card or another computer all together and use it for faster rendering.

    Bring this on!

    P.S. it's been said, but one cable to rule them all? thats enough right there.. Cable clutter out the door! and daisy chaining? I have 4-5 things plugged into my laptop almost 24/7..I would love to reduce the cable amount with nice bendable optical cables that can daisy chain!

    P.S.S. Aja, Apogee, Avid, Blackmagic, LaCie, Promise and Western Digital have signed on to add Thunderbolt support to their devices

    Avid is the key here..Very surprised..big move
    Last edited by Tenknics; 02-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.
    Iron Lung 3.0 | Intel Core i7 6800k @ 4ghz | 32gb G.SKILL RIPJAW V DDR4-3200 @16-16-16-36 | ASUS ROG STRIX X99 GAMING + ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX GAMING | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB + Samsung 840 EVO + 4TB HDD | 55" Samsung KS8000 + 30" Dell u3011 via Displayport - @ 6400x2160

  5. #30
    Xtreme Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In the Land down -under-
    Posts
    4,439
    full-length HD movie (roughly 10 - 20GB in size) in less than 30 seconds
    Wow this is epic, big thumbs up!!

    Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

  6. #31
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    528
    LightPeak alas Thunderbolt is awesome and I am or was very excited about it until I heard that Apple will have dips on the tech.
    that will basically bury it.

  7. #32
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Grande Prairie, AB, CAN
    Posts
    6,127
    Quote Originally Posted by bot@xs View Post
    LightPeak alas Thunderbolt is awesome and I am or was very excited about it until I heard that Apple will have dips on the tech.
    that will basically bury it.
    What are you talking about? Just because Apple is the first adopter doesn't mean a thing. It isn't proprietary.

  8. #33
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    528
    i sure hope you are right.

  9. #34
    Aussie God
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,702
    I would say...
    Bringing it through Apple is a genious idea from Intel.... Apple has a huge crowd of very loyal customers, and extreme fanatics... Reminds me a little of Islam...
    Using this for kick off, is likely to work like a gem, finally Intel makes a wise decision.... After that "Will.I.Am" joke, one thought all hope was gone, because that is fair to say completely retarded.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

    Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!


  10. #35
    I am Xtreme
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Grande Prairie, AB, CAN
    Posts
    6,127

  11. #36
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    south of heaven
    Posts
    434
    10-20GB in 30 sec? I'm buying it.
    Asus P4C800ED P-M 730@2.8 7700Cu
    2X1GB OCZ - ATI X800XT AIW - OCZ PS 520W

  12. #37
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    425
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    It means no one will use it because they don't have anything that moves so fast. I'm not being luddite here, I'm being practical.
    So youre trying to say its worthless because it cant be saturated? Not sure im following your logic.

  13. #38
    Xtreme Mentor
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,242
    Leading Hard Drive Makers to Support Intel Thunderbolt.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...underbolt.html

  14. #39
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rockville, MD
    Posts
    425
    Hopefully this will be on Ivy Bridge mobos...
    Main PC
    i7 3770k
    Asus P8Z77-Deluxe
    4x4 GB Gskill Sniper
    Sandisk Extreme 240 GB
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    MCP35X - Apogee Drive II - MCR320


    HTPC
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Sapphire 5670
    3x2 GB OCZ Platinum @ 7-7-7-20
    Corsair HX-650
    Silverstone LC10
    Intel X25-M G2

  15. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by onethreehill View Post
    Leading Hard Drive Makers to Support Intel Thunderbolt.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage...underbolt.html
    Considering they don't have the technology (other than enterprise SAS systems) to even push USB 3.0, that's a bit of a hollow victory IMO.

  16. #41
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
    Considering they don't have the technology (other than enterprise SAS systems) to even push USB 3.0, that's a bit of a hollow victory IMO.
    Raid

  17. #42
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
    (he means that you'll be able to use an external video card)

    Although you'll probably need more links than just one. Like 3 of them in parallel
    did they say that today? I don't think so. your imagination is strong. well, lets hope for the best. maybe your dreams can come true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iconyu View Post
    It supports Ethernet and USB protocols
    it supports pci express. you can put a lot of stuff on pci express. don't go around saying it supports ethernet and usb, because that is wrong.

    a company has to go buy an ethernet or usb chip from an ethernet or usb chip company, buy a thunderbold chip, build an adapter, and then thunderbolt "supports" it. these are different things.

    and by the way, did you ever consider that everyone already has the ethernet and usb chips built into their motherboards? why would anyone want an adapter for these on thunderbolt? so you can put an ethernet port on your monitor? give me a break. temper your enthusiasm with some realism.

  18. #43
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by \/icious View Post
    So youre trying to say its worthless because it cant be saturated? Not sure im following your logic.
    I'm saying if people and manufacturers won't pay for something not needed. eSATA and USB are now included "free" on every chipset.

    Then consider the cost of thunderbolt. It probably costs a company like Asus about $10, +/-$5, to buy that chip. And to pay for that in their product, they need to charge an extra $20. Is that a smart business decision? Do their customers need more than eSATA and USB already provides?

    don't answer these questions. for the answer let's wait until thunderbolt shows up on PC motherboards.

  19. #44
    Xtreme Addict
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Flying through Space, with armoire, Armoire of INVINCIBILATAAAAY!
    Posts
    1,963
    i bet intel will just start bundling them with their chipsets to get market share

    how stupid do you think they are?
    Sigs are obnoxious.

  20. #45
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    159
    Obviously they have to do some massive discounts intially to get this technology widely adopted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    been lots of years since I played with an AMD and this is just an hour so bear with me..
    My first thoughts on it is that it's fast, it's smoothe and it's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    Yes, the i7 does have the edge in pure grunt but then again the AMD has that little something I can't quite put my finger on except to use that word 'smoother" and that will get me flamed faster than posting kiddy :banana::banana::banana::banana: on the Christian networks site.
    Main Rig: Phenom II 550 (x4) @3.9Ghz - Gigabyte 6950@6970 - Asus M4A-785D M Pro - Samsung HDs 2x2TB,1x1.5TB,2x1TB - Season X-650 | OpenCL mining rigs: 2x Phenom II 555(x4) - 1xMSI 890FXA-GD70 - 1xGB 990FXA-UD7 (SICK ) - 1xHD6990 - 1x6950@70 - 6x5850 - 2xCooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1kW

  21. #46
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR.
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by bamtan2 View Post
    I'm saying if people and manufacturers won't pay for something not needed. eSATA and USB are now included "free" on every chipset.

    Then consider the cost of thunderbolt. It probably costs a company like Asus about $10, +/-$5, to buy that chip. And to pay for that in their product, they need to charge an extra $20. Is that a smart business decision? Do their customers need more than eSATA and USB already provides?

    don't answer these questions. for the answer let's wait until thunderbolt shows up on PC motherboards.
    I can see your point, but the SATA consortium is already planning the demise of eSATA. The new external SATA design calls for both data AND power to be in the same cable. Sure it will reduce clutter and make it easier to hook up an external drive, but it will also increase power strain on the hosting computer. They are basically remaking eSATA into what it SHOULD have been in the first place.

    As far as ThunderBolt is concerned, I say bring it on! Less clutter and higher bandwidth is ALWAYS welcome! As much as it pains me to say it, Apple does have a way of pushing technologies forward so its part in ThunderBolt is integral. Hell, you see how much crap is available for iPods? Thats the kind of growth that we can see for ThunderBolt with Apple on board.
    Last edited by autobot; 02-24-2011 at 11:30 PM.
    - Autobot -
    Intel Q9400 (3.6Ghz) / Asus P5Q Deluxe / 8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    MSI R6970 Afterburner 2GB / Asus Xonar DX
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD / Seagate 640GB SATA2 / Lite-On DVD/RW Litescribe SATA
    XFX XXX-Edition modular 650W PSU
    Enzotech / Swiftech / Koolance

  22. #47
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    What are you talking about? Just because Apple is the first adopter doesn't mean a thing. It isn't proprietary.
    Any source indicates Thunderbolt is not proprietary?

    USB is maintained by a consortium.

  23. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bucharest, RO
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by zalbard View Post
    So it begins...
    Are there any peripherals with Thunderbolt support being showcased already?
    The LaCie Little Big Disk is one of the first drives to be announced. Looks pretty sweet as it's powered by two Intel 510 SSDs.

    Source


  24. #49
    Xtreme Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    528
    or thunderbolt could end up as isolated as firewire and someone else has to come along and does something similar (USB) in order to make it a fair and open market.
    that is my greatest concern with intel giving apple dips on this. i hope it's just a head start and as isolated as apple is form the rest of the pc market they would greatly benefit from this as would the pc market.
    and i hope that intel is smart enough to not let apple talk them into a propitiatory structure with this technology.

  25. #50
    Xtreme Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    CroLand
    Posts
    379
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ntil_2012.html

    So it is Apple exclusive tech till spring 2012 ?
    Phenom II x6 1055T | ASRock 880G Ex.3 | 560Ti FrozrII 1GB| Corsair Vengeance 1600 2x4GB | Win7 64 | M4 128GB

    VR Box - i5 6600 | MSI Mortar | Gigabyte G1 GTX 1060 | Viper 16GB DDR4 2400 | 256 SSD | Oculus Rift CV1 + Touch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •