Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
yup. but that may be unnecessary. not sure if that could be done with this. but setting up some sort of batch file to initiate programs in the same sequence (possibly with some time intervals between) could be just as effective. the main goal is to be able to compare the two systems' I/O performance under identical load patterns.
I must admit that I generally try to avoid the use of the "I/O Trace" option.

Please don't get me wrong, there can indeed be situations where using the "I/O Trace" option is definitely needed to capture the particular information required.

But from the outset, the hIOmon software has stressed the use of the "summary" option, which can answer so many questions in a much simpler, easier, quicker, more productive and efficient, etc. manner (e.g., rather than having to deal with tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of individual I/O operation trace records - there can often be some troublesome "scaling" issues, for instance, with the I/O trace approach).

Anyway, for perhaps the more "adventurous" folks, the hIOmon software does provide the hIOmon Add-On Support for the "Intel NAS Performance Toolkit (NASPT)".

Basically, this support enables you to capture an I/O operation trace, which can then be exported by the hIOmon software to a disk file within the XML trace input file format that is required by the Intel NASPT tools. In turn, this export file can then be used directly (without conversion) as a NASPT trace input file for both the NASPT Analyzer and the NASPT Exerciser tools (which essentially provide a "replay" option along the lines that you mentioned).

Additional information about this hIOmon Add-On can be found within the "hIOmon Add-On User Guide" document.

But back to the "batch file" approach that you also mentioned. The hIOmon software also includes a "Benchmarking Support Add-On" - surprise, surprise

This Add-On helps in efforts to automate the benchmarking process. That is, it can be used to quickly and easily utilize the hIOmon software so as to retrieve real-time, user-specified "summary metrics" and then dump them (i.e., export them) to a CSV file. This is done through the use of several batch files that are included with this Add-On.

More info here:

http://www.hyperIO.com/hIOmon/AddOns...dOnSupport.htm