Thread: Intel Confirms Dual-Core Atom Processor for Netbooks. "Why o why Intel"

Hybrid View

Xtreme X.I.P.
    yepp, thats why i went culv as well...
    higher ipc, lower clocks... but it ocs to 2ghz, just like the atom cpus

if an app is properly multi threadded, i think a dualcore atom with ht at 2ghz can beat a culv 1.4ghz chip... maybe it doesnt even need 2ghz... BUT... lets face it, most apps use one core... so what you need is at least one high ipc core, and thats why culv wins...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    BUT... lets face it, most apps use one core... so what you need is at least one high ipc core, and thats why culv wins...
    Even if most of the programs are single threaded (which is not exactly true these days), there is one important thing which makes multicore cpu indispensable - multitasking. I have a netbook and I can not say I'm satisfied with its performance when multiple programs are running simultaneously (separately, they work quite fast and the netbook has 2 GB of memory).
    You can guess why Apple does not want to allow multitasking for iPad.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    Even if most of the programs are single threaded (which is not exactly true these days)
    so you are saying most apps today are multi threadded?

there is one important thing which makes multicore cpu indispensable - multitasking.
    all you need for that is 2 cores...
    i have yet to feel or see a difference in my day to day pc usage between 2 and 4 cores... some games get a few extra fps, yeah... but thats about it...

I have a netbook and I can not say I'm satisfied with its performance when multiple programs are running simultaneously (separately, they work quite fast and the netbook has 2 GB of memory).
    did you just use netbook and fast in the same sentence? :P
    the only thing thats fast on a netbook is browsing windows... and even there you run into slow downs already depending on what you do :P
    they are fast for the size and weight and cost and power they consume... but id never call an atom system FAST... neva!!!! :P

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    so you are saying most apps today are multi threadded?
    yes, they are. just look into "process explorer" and you will see that even a trivial apps (such as firefox or skype) launch tens of threads. Not all these threads are active all the time, others don't consume too much cpu time, but still...

all you need for that is 2 cores...
    i have yet to feel or see a difference in my day to day pc usage between 2 and 4 cores... some games get a few extra fps, yeah... but thats about it...
    You're right, but CULV still can't match Atom in terms of power consumption. So if those new dual-core atoms consumes the same power as old single core variants, they will be welcomed.

did you just use netbook and fast in the same sentence? :P
    the only thing thats fast on a netbook is browsing windows... and even there you run into slow downs already depending on what you do :P
    they are fast for the size and weight and cost and power they consume... but id never call an atom system FAST... neva!!!! :P
    Well... Browsing is fast (even with multiple tabs), opening/scrolling docs in OpenOffice is relative fast, opening/scrolling pdfs is also fast, skyping is fast, antivirus is fast also. All these things together are slow...
    Last edited by kl0012; 04-17-2010 at 06:47 PM.